AR-15; the progeny of genius.

Posts related to rifles.
Kittu
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: AR-15; the progeny of genius.

Post by Kittu » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:33 pm

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Baljit
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Baljit » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:00 am

Very nice Baljit.
Command Arms makes decent stuff and the Ergo grips are very comfortable.
It looks like your rifle has the makings of a heavy target rifle. That sounds great!
It will give the IFG guys the ability to see two different builds which is great.
XL...
Command make really good stuff for AR. Magpul also make really good stuff,reasons behind the stock I pick is, it's a Adjustable Cheekpiece,so I can Increase my comfort when I mounted on my shoulder.
Ergo grip is very comfortable grip, I have it on my 300 Win.Mag.and I am very impress with it.
For sure IFG guys going to see two different builds and I am sure all of them going to like both builds.

Let us know what other parts you have coming? What did you pick for the barrel; what profile and what barrel thickness?
Have you picked a trigger yet?
Yes I picked all of them but i just received receiver,stock with buffer tube kit, still waiting for trigger and grip.
My gun smith going to build a barrel (custom barrel) for me, once I received upper receiver with bolt carrier group, then he is going to start working on my barrel because he need a bolt.So he can match the head space with the barrel and minimize the tolerance for batter accuracy.
It's going to be 14.5" custom match grade barrel with .730 thickness.

Here is the diagram of the barrel.

Yes I pick the trigger as well,It's a match trigger with 3lb pull.I don't received that yet but once I have it ,i'll post here.
Having played with picatinny rail loaded handguards, I must say that I am not a fan.
I know not everyone fan of picatinny rails, but I don't mind to have it on .I have on SR22 and M14 as well.

Please stick around for more info.

Baljit

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:42 am

Still waiting for parts... aaaugh!

Today, I drove down to Cabelas to pick up my handguard and a section of Picatinny rail. My upper is coming in with a standard AR carbine handguard but I think they are too bulky, so I want to replace it with a slimmer Magpul handguard.

This is Magpul's carbine style two piece hand guard. The shiny thing in the upper part is an Aluminum heat shield that wraps around the barrel.

The Picatinny rail section is available in various lengths. I just wanted a short section to attach a light.
The section comes with the nuts and bolts (with Locktite already applied on the bolts).
You can install these rail sections anywhere there is a slot on the handguard.

Here is what it looks like, from the inside of the handguard, with the rail installed.

Here is the outside of the handguard with the rail installed.

In the above two photos, you can see how the different accessories clamp onto the Picatinny rail.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:06 pm

XL...
Command make really good stuff for AR. Magpul also make really good stuff,reasons behind the stock I pick is, it's a Adjustable Cheekpiece,so I can Increase my comfort when I mounted on my shoulder.
Baljit,
Just be aware, when you have a raised cheekpiece on the AR, when the stock is not extended, the cheekpiece can interfere with the charging handle. If you are in a hurry and the stock is not extended, you will not be able to charge the weapon. Also keep in mind that because the plane of the stock is so high compared to the top of the rifle, you don't really need an extended cheekpiece for the iron sights or an optic co-witnessed with the iron sights. The high stock is one of the reasons that the sights on an AR are so high.

Still, since are you not going to be wearing body armor and doing room clearing, your buttstock will be extended most of the time so this shouldn't be a problem. :)
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

Baljit
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Baljit » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:06 am

XL,
Just be aware, when you have a raised cheekpiece on the AR, when the stock is not extended, the cheekpiece can interfere with the charging handle.
I am very well aware of this. I think,I am going to keep my stock full extended all the time,this is only way I can keep this in my safe. :)

I Just received an email from my dealers and he inform me that the trigger I order now back in the stock, and they going to shipped out by tomorrow or day after tomorrow. :D

Here is the info.about the trigger I order for my AR.
Why settle for a sloppy trigger which can cause a good rifle to shoot badly?
Now shooters can replace creepy two-stage triggers with one that is smooth and breaks crisp. The trigger is factory preset with a pull weight of either 3 or 4 pounds. Installation is quick and no adjustments are necessary, 100% true drop-in trigger. The trigger module installs using your rifle's original hammer/trigger pins and the proprietary design eliminates pin rotation and walkout.
Since it was founded in 1946, Timney Manufacturing has built a reputation based on the quality of its products. Because of the precision machining and workmanship that goes into each and every Timney product they are often referred to as "The World's Finest Triggers" and they are used exclusively by some of the world's best custom gun manufactures. Made in the USA.
Here is a link for this timney trigger .......http://www.timneytriggers.com/

Here is a picture of the trigger which I am going to use in my AR.

I hope,end of next week, trigger going to be in my hand. :cheers:

Stick around for more interesting things.

Baljit

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:21 am

Today we take a look at the Optic that I plan on using with my AR-15.

This sight allows you to keep both eyes open, thus greatly increasing your peripheral vision.
When used this way, the dot seems to float in space. Once your rifle is zeroed in for the dot, all you have to do is put the dot on the target and pull the trigger.

Shooting with a good red dot sight takes on an almost video game like quality. Obviously, due to the trajectory of the bullet, at certain distances, it is going to hit above or below the point of aim. However, the 5.56 X 45 cartridge is pretty flat shooting and errors up to 100 yards are going to be relatively minor.

I have had it for about six months and I enjoy using it. Haven't had to change the batteries yet.

Here are a couple of videos that explain the features:

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:25 am

The front sight comes on the gun. It is mounted to the barrel as it is part of the gas block.

This is what the AR-15 front sight looks like.
Elevation adjustments are made by screwing the blade in or out.

I purchased backup (rear) iron sights so I have something to fall back on if the optic fails.
It is a folding rear sight that folds out of the way when not in use.

The sight in its folded configuration.

This is the sight in its erected state. The knob on the upper right allows for windage adjustments.
This is the small aperture

If you fold the small aperture (forward) out of the way, you get to use the large aperture which is the close range aperture.
Tightening the knob on the bottom left allows you to attach the sight to the Picatinny rail.

This is the upper that is in transit to me. It has a 16" barrel and is equipped with a carbine gas system.

As you can see the front sight will be installed. This configuration is called a "flat top" as there is no rear sight/carry handle. The Picatinny Rail built in to the top of the receiver allows for the attachment of a rear sight and the optic. As I mentioned earlier, I will be changing out the round hand guard.

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:46 am

Baljit,
The Timney trigger is a very nice trigger. That and your heavier barrel should give you good accuracy.
Knowing your penchant for accuracy, I would have thought that you would have selected a longer barrel.

The image below is similar to what my barrel profile looks like. This is an M4 barrel profile.

image from HERE

As you can see Baljit's barrel profile has significantly more meat that mine.
The barrel that I am getting is a chrome lined Chrome Moly Vanadium (CMV) barrel. They are built more for longevity than accuracy.
My barrel is manufactured by Fabrique Nationale (FN). That barrel is the main reason that I chose this upper.
While it is considered a high quality barrel, I'm not expecting it to drive tacks at long distance.

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:57 am

Every time I see this thread and the new posts.... I cry in my sleep ..... :(

TC

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:00 am

TC,
Stop it. Don't cry in your sleep. We wouldn't want your wife to get pissed off at us.
I feel that way too when I look at Baljit's trigger. I think it costs more than my whole rifle. :)

Today the barreled upper receiver arrived. It has been assembled, fired and headspaced.

The first thing that I did was remove the GI handguard. Here you can clearly see the gas tube going from the front sight/gas block to the receiver.
The bayonet lug is cast as part of the front sight/gas block and the sling loop is riveted in place.

I fitted my replacement handguards in place.

Here it is with the lower receiver in place and a magazine in the mag well.
You can slowly see the rifle take shape.

Still waiting on parts to complete the build.
We need the buttstock assembly, the pistol grip and the lower parts kit.
Also, the bolt carrier group is in transit and should be here tomorrow.

Here is the info on the barreled upper:

16" Barrel length (made by FN)
Chrome moly vanadium barrel
5.56 Nato Chamber
1 in 7" twist rate
chrome-lined bore
HPT/MPI Barrel (High Pressure Tested/Magnetic Particle Inspected)
M4 Feed ramps
F-Marked Front sight post
A2 Flash Hider
Sling Loop
Carbine Hand Guards w/ heat shields
Forged upper receiver
T-Marks (markings on the Rail so you can repeatedly re-attach your accessories in the same spot)

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:54 pm

:D Great going xl_target and Baljit! I am enjoying the thread, while I am 'Sleepless in Seattle' - short break!
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

Kittu
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Kittu » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:05 pm

xl_target wrote:
great info xl
just curios to know.what you are plannig to install a long stroke piston or short stoke one.it will be too early but i can ask also to buljit paji whats his plan on long stroke or short stoke.kindly shed some lights on advantage ot disadvantage of both systems thanks
ashokgodara,

Neither. The mil-spec M4 carbine does not use a gas piston.
What I will be building is a lightweight M4 look alike (an M4gery, if you like :)) with a 16" barrel. Baljit will probably be building his a little differently
I will be using the standard "Direct Impingement"(DI) system with a carbine length gas tube.

Generally an AR-15 with 16" barrels will use the "Carbine Length" gas system
AR-15's with 18" barrels will use a "Mid Length" gas system
and AR-15's with 20" barrels will use a "Rifle Length" gas tube.

Here is how Direct Impingement works:

[ Image ]
image from HERE
The image recycles about every four or five seconds.

When the cartridge is fired, the gasses pushing the bullet up the bore will vent up through a "gas port" in the bore. This gas is forced down a "gas tube", back towards the receiver.
When this gas impacts (or impinges on) the "gas key" that is affixed to the top of the bolt, it pushes the bolt carrier group back (against spring pressure) to extract and eject the fired cartridge and load a fresh on into the chamber.

[ Image ]
image from HERE
The gas key is that silver thing that is attached to the top of the bolt. The receiver end of the gas tube sits inside of it.

I hope this helped your understanding of the system. Please do not hesitate to ask questions if something is not clear.
hi xl
whats the role of that pin or ram below gas key?.i see some hollow space behind it for what.thanks

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:51 pm

Ashok,
Maybe this video that shows how the bolt carrier group (BCG) disassembles, will explain the function of that pin.
What's neat is that no tools are needed for disassembly. The tip of a bullet is often all that's needed.

[youtube][/youtube]

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:08 am

ckkalyan wrote::D Great going xl_target and Baljit! I am enjoying the thread, while I am 'Sleepless in Seattle' - short break!
Give my regards to Meg. :lol:

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:35 am

Today, the rest of my parts came in. I am now ready to finish the build.

Clockwise from the left are:
Buffer Tube, Recoil Spring, Buffer, Bolt Carrier Assembly, Buttstock, Pistol Grip, the bags contain the various parts that make up the lower parts kit.

Here is a pictorial description of the lower parts kit.

image from HERE

Here is how the lower parts kit gets assembled.

[youtube][/youtube]