AR-15; the progeny of genius.

Posts related to rifles.
Baljit
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: AR-15; the progeny of genius.

Post by Baljit » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:27 am

TC wrote:Baljit, guys..... I am writing this post from the asylum. My family could not bear the psychological changes in me and and gave up

Baljit, man I love the video ..... tak tak tak tak tak tak ..... :wink:

TC

:cheers:

Ohhhhh,that's to bad. :? :? :? :? :?

Thank you very much TC. :)

Baljit

For Advertising mail webmaster
xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:24 am

Nice machine gun, Baljit. :)

Seriously, I think the combination of muzzle brake and your load seems to work really well for you.
I notice great muzzle control and recoil control.
Congratulations!
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

prashantsingh
Poster of the Month - Aug 2011
Poster of the Month - Aug 2011

Post by prashantsingh » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:48 pm

Amazing video Baljit.
A job done well. Congratulations.
What's the maximum rounds you can fire with this rifle in a Minute?

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:19 am

Baljit

Guns looks great congrats

Thanks for update on my questions. I did finally made a trip to gander mountain picked up Remington BDL 308, Tikka T 3 in 7mm-08 and 3006. Its paper work required for importing guns into my fair city. I did hear good things for Vortex from Camera Land guys in NYC, they told me that Vortex has good warranty and they recommended Vortex binocs better than Nikon monarch series.

Best

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:07 am

Baljit,

For a second, I really thought you are going full auto. Real twitchy finger you got there :) . I never liked AR kinda rifles ( I am a wood and steel man you know ;)) but your thread changed it all. If I may say so I am in love with the AR and the whole process/effort of building your own from the kit.

Real good gun there, Keep shooting it and sharing your drool worthy vids with us gun starved lesser mortals.

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

Baljit
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Baljit » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:59 am

XL wrote:
Seriously, I think the combination of muzzle brake and your load seems to work really well for you.
I notice great muzzle control and recoil control.
Congratulations!

Thank you very much XL.Muzzle brakes work amazing,You know the funny thing about my load,this is same load I shoot in my bolt action rifle,basically I can shoot the same load in both toys.
Thank you very much again XL to allowing me to post in you AR thread.I thing this is one of the best AR thread so far. In this thread all the other members can see two different AR built. :D

prashantsingh wrote:
What's the maximum rounds you can fire with this rifle in a Minute?

Thank you very much Prashant for your feedback.
It's very hard to say how many rounds I can fire in a min. because I use 10 rounds pistol mags.
Only I can tell you is, I can fire 10 rounds under 2.5 sec.because I time my self with timer.Now you can do the math for a min. :wink:

ngrewal wrote:
Baljit

Guns looks great congrats

Thanks for update on my questions. I did finally made a trip to gander mountain picked up Remington BDL 308, Tikka T 3 in 7mm-08 and 3006. Its paper work required for importing guns into my fair city.

Thank you very much Grewal sahib for your feedback.
Now it's your time to post the pictures of you toys when you got it.Looking forward for the pictures and range report. :cheers:

kanwar76 wrote:
Baljit,

For a second, I really thought you are going full auto. Real twitchy finger you got there :) . I never liked AR kinda rifles ( I am a wood and steel man you know ;)) but your thread changed it all. If I may say so I am in love with the AR and the whole process/effort of building your own from the kit.

Thank you very much Inder for your feedback.
Yah I do have a twitchy finger,if you fire thousands of thousands rounds in a years, for sure you will have the same finger as well.You know what I mean. :wink:
That's really good if you change your thinking and fall in love with AR,just because of this thread. :cheers:

Baljit

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:07 pm

Of the many accessories available for the AR15 is what is called a bumpfire stock.
Bumpfiring consists of holding the rifle a certain way (loosely, among others), putting your finger across the trigger and moving the rifle gently forward. This presses the rigger and the recoil from the rifle firing, causes the trigger to reset and the continued forward pressure of your hand (holding the rifle forward) causes the trigger to be pressed again. When done properly, the rifle fires so fast that it can simulate full-auto firing.

Last weekend my friend and co-worker, Liang, showed up with a bumpfire stock that we tried on both our AR15 rifles. At first it didn't work too well but eventually we got the hang of it. It still has issues and I wouldn't want to depend on it in a life or death situation but it was fun. He decided not to keep it, which is a good thing because we went through a huge amount of ammunition in that one session. I don't think I could afford to feed my rifle if that thing was around all the time; 30 round magazines go empty in the blink of an eye. You can actually control it to fire a few shots at a time, even just two or three. The first shot recoils the most but once it starts firing, you can hold the muzzle down.

By the way it is 100% legal, here, to use a bumpfire stock. I don't think I could justify the ammo expenditure though.

“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

farook
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by farook » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:18 pm

There are many ways to use the recoil. This may well work for an AR too

Nothing has shaped the history more than a Gun

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:58 am

farook wrote:There are many ways to use the recoil. This may well work for an AR too

You can actually bumpfire from the hip, without using any gadgets, with most semi auto guns but you won't hit much (unless you're really close).

Then there is the idea of carrying around a great big board everywhere with you.
If you do decide to carry around a board like that, getting a holster made for that board would be interesting.. :D
Take a look at that video that you posted again. How many hits did he get on the target? I counted two "clangs".... out of a 33 round magazine.
Some things are practical and some things are not.

With a bumpfire stock on a semi auto rifle, you can actually use the sights on the rifle and you don't need to carry anything extra.
You want to see if accuracy is possible with a bumpfire stock?
Take a look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnBAyOAiUIM

farook
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by farook » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:02 am

It would be interesting to see in how many ways one can do this. Ultimately can anyone do this with just a pcs of rope tied from the trigger to the arm...
Nothing has shaped the history more than a Gun

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:02 am

We're coming up to the last few nice days at the range for this year.
I've been trying to get as much shooting as possible before it gets too cold.

Some recent shots:

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:25 am

The AR craze in the USA has been going on for some time and recently AR-15 type rifles have been outselling most other types. After recent events and attempts by certain politicians to ban AR-15's, the demand for these rifles exploded, with prices skyrocketing as demand far exceeded the supply. Every gun manufacturer went into overdrive trying to produce more rifles to meet this demand and if they didn'thave an AR in their lineup, they tried to produce one. Some manufacturers managed to produce a decent gun for a decent price, others overcharged significantly and some failed to produce reliable rifles. This is surprising as the military has extensively function tested these rifles for these manufacturers and there should have been no excuse to have a non-functioning rifle or carbine. The parts are standardized and exacting specifications are available for all the parts. Micrometer precision is not necessary for the AR-15 to run well. All you have to do is to produce a part that will fall within the tolerances specified. Any of todays CNC machines, even ones that even tiny machine shops have, can easily produce viable AR-15 parts. As of this writing, supply has met up with demand and there is a significant excess of guns on the market. Consequently the AR market is very soft and prices have fallen drastically.

Prices on parts and rifles fell so drastically, that even using aftermarket Magpull Furniture and an FN hammer forged, chrome lined barrel and locking extension (using the same machinery and made in the same factory that produces M4 and M16 rifles for the US Army) , we were able to come up with a viable rifle for $511.

Even conservative Ruger jumped on the bandwagon a few years back producing a piston AR. These were well built, quality rifles and they were expensive but like most of Ruger's products, they were extremely reliable. I think that the price point precluded extensive sales. Piston Rifles are a small percentage of the market anyway. However, just recently Ruger announced a Direct Impingement AR-15, a no frills rifle with an MSRP of $749 with reported street prices going for about $599.
This is an excellent price for a factory rifle with a lifetime warranty!

image from Ruger's website

The Ruger® AR-556™ semi-automatic, M4-style, direct impingement Modern Sporting Rifle offers consumers an affordable, American-made Modern Sporting Rifle with the rugged reliability they have come to expect from Ruger. Extensively tested during its development, the AR-556™ is constructed from top-quality components, including forged 7075-T6 aluminum upper and lower receivers and a cold hammer-forged chrome-moly steel barrel with M4 feed ramp cuts. Chambered in 5.56 NATO, the AR-556’s carbine-length, flat-top, M4 design is fully configured with a Ruger® Rapid Deploy folding rear sight, milled F-height gas block with post front sight, forward assist, dust cover, brass deflector, telescoping six-position stock, improved trigger-reach grip, enlarged trigger guard and one 30-round Magpul® PMag®. Standardized M4/AR components are utilized throughout, so the AR-556™ can be customized easily.
image from Ruger's website

It used to be right of passage in the US, where every young boy got a BB rifle and as he grew older, was given a .22 LR rifle.
Now, one of the first rifles that young American males purchases, as soon as they legally can, is an AR-15.

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:00 am

XL: being from Ruger, these look good -- I didn't know that Ruger had an offering and agree that, by reputation, these should be good rifles. 2 questions for you (well, actually 3):

1. You say: "Micrometer precision is not necessary for the AR-15 to run well." I can understand that, but wouldn't proper alignment of the bolt, so that the locking lugs all engage equally, be necessary for best accuracy?

2. and 3. I haven't shot one of these, except for once over 35 years ago. On that Picatinny rail, one could not mount a scope low, because the front sight would be in the way. Also, there wouldn't be a way to get any kind of cheek weld that way. Using a scope, is there some sort of mount that is up high, like the height of the old carrying handle, so one can get the right cheek weld?

Yours still has the front sight, but your scope is low, and Baljit's doesn't have a front sight, but I haven't figured out the cheek weld part. Can you help?
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:13 am

Thank you xl_target for the interesting information and videos - the 'bump-fire' stock is so much fun! :D

When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:07 am

timmy wrote:XL: being from Ruger, these look good -- I didn't know that Ruger had an offering and agree that, by reputation, these should be good rifles. 2 questions for you (well, actually 3):

1. You say: "Micrometer precision is not necessary for the AR-15 to run well." I can understand that, but wouldn't proper alignment of the bolt, so that the locking lugs all engage equally, be necessary for best accuracy?

2. and 3. I haven't shot one of these, except for once over 35 years ago. On that Picatinny rail, one could not mount a scope low, because the front sight would be in the way. Also, there wouldn't be a way to get any kind of cheek weld that way. Using a scope, is there some sort of mount that is up high, like the height of the old carrying handle, so one can get the right cheek weld?

Yours still has the front sight, but your scope is low, and Baljit's doesn't have a front sight, but I haven't figured out the cheek weld part. Can you help?
Here is the barrel extension

Here is the bolt that locks in it (image from Rainier Arms)

As long as it rotates and locks in there, you're good.
While there is a certain amount of precision required, it's really not anything special for anyone with a CNC machine.
The CAD files are available for free in the net.
CNC machines are so cheap now that even small shops with just a few people have them but you need a machine.
However, you can't just take a welding torch, a shovel and a bending break to make a receiver like you can for an AK :)

Generally while sighting down the rifle, you keep your head erect.
With the red dot, you put the dot at the tip of the front sight. With both eyes open, you see the red dot out there but not the front sight. I mean you can see it but you don't really notice it if you are concentrating on the dot.
You mount it "co-witness", so you can use both front and back sights if the red dot fails.

With a magnified scope, you absolutely do not see the front sight. It totally disappears.