475 A&M - I got another CANNON - WTD - info on A&M rifle Co.

Posts related to rifles.
buckstix
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

475 A&M - I got another CANNON - WTD - info on A&M rifle Co.

Post by buckstix » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:14 am

Hello All,

I'm posting this here also in the hopes that I might find someone that can provide some history on the A&M Rifle Company.

I found this beauty on the Internet. When when it arrived I was absolutely thrilled to see what I purchased.

It was listed as an; "Atkinson & Marquart Mauser .475 A&M Magnum" with the description; "...a Custom Gun built by A&M.....Fancy hardwood stock.....Oak leaf and acorn Basket Weave Carved..... w/ rosewood Pistol Grip and Forearm....." etc., etc.

And here is what I received;

A Custom rifle built by The Atkinson & Marquart Rifle Company (as marked on top of barrel) - in original 475 A&M Magnum caliber (as marked on left side of barrel) - built on a French M300 BREVEX action - with a Custom Mesquite Stock - with Black & White Line accented Rosewood Forend and Grip Cap - with Oak Leaf & Acorn Basket Weave Carved by by Nils Hultgren. Rifle has a 22" heavy A&M Barrel with an integral Pendleton Muzzle Brake, and integral Forward Recoil Lug under the barrel. The sights are A&M Custom 2-leaf Express Sights w/ each leaf adjustable for both elevation & windage. Whistles and Bells include a Hand Engraved Floorplate with Cape Buffalo w/ a Custom Floorplate Safety Lock, a Canjar Match Trigger, and an Engraved Gold Diamond Monogram Inlay in the Grip Cap.

The Gold Diamond Monogram Inlay is engraved "J D L" - and the top of bolt release is engraved "1972 J.D.L." I'd like to know if anyone has an idea who "JDL" may have been. I'm sure he was in the Big Bore gun game in the Late 60's into the early 70's.

Please help with History about A&M as I've found very little. As always comments and opinions are always welcome.

What thrills me the most about this rifle is the story associated with the 475 A&M Mag cartridge and Fred Barnes. It appears in Cartridges of the World. (see red highlighted text)

I got an email yesterday indicating that the A&M Rifle Company supplied 17 caliber barrels for the O'Brien Rifle Company, and that Nils Hultgren did the custom stocks for O'Brien. I guess that explains the A&M / Hultgren connection for the stock on my rifle.

Now if only someone could tell me who J.D.L. was. My internet searches keep coming up with Jewish Defense League but I really don't think this rifle was built for them?

And just recently I found this mention of my rifle in an article written by Jack Lott in the 1974 Guns & Ammo Annual. Its my exact same newly acquired rifle. I only wish the article by Jack Lott had given details as to when, and for who the rifle was made. The only info about my rifle was the information in the captions. Maybe it made for Jack P Lott and they got his middle initial wrong. Its easy to mistake a "P" for a "D".

The article says stocked by Shaws. He may have stocked it, but I'll bet Nils Hultgren carved it. I will need to do more research. If anyone can help, please do.

you never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early

For Advertising mail webmaster
TC
Veteran
Veteran

Re: 475 A&M - I got another CANNON - WTD - info on A&M rifle

Post by TC » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:16 am

Wow ! Congratulations Buckstix :D Another great find :D

:cheers:
TC

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:40 pm

Buckstix,

Another exceedingly interesting rifle in an unusual calibre. Thank you for sharing with us.This is the first rifle I have seen the photos of in this calibre.

The recoil must be brutal. Are you planning to shoot it?

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

buckstix
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by buckstix » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:08 pm

Yes I plan to shoot it. I have purchased all the reloading materials, and will work-up loads cautiously, to slowly increase the load, and recoil. I don't want to hurt myself.

Amit357
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Amit357 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:17 pm

buckstix wrote:Yes I plan to shoot it. I have purchased all the reloading materials, and will work-up loads cautiously, to slowly increase the load, and recoil. I don't want to hurt myself.
Be st of luck with that, :shock: my limit is 416 Rigby,which i use like i am walking on EGGS,my personal comfort level is the 270 Win/30-06,this one is gonna kick like a MULE on Steroids :!: .

buckstix
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by buckstix » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:20 am

Hello Amit357'

I'm up to about 1800fps with a 500g Hawk RNSP bullet. Next time out, I'll be at about 2000fps. Then I'll work up from there. So far, its FUN!

sa_ali
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by sa_ali » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:37 pm

Congrats, you keep coming up with one after another jewels. :)

buckstix
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by buckstix » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:21 pm

Hello sa_ali,

Sometimes I just can't help myself when a good deal presents itself. I think its a sickness.

ljthegiant
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Re: 475 A&M - I got another CANNON - WTD - info on A&M rifle Co.

Post by ljthegiant » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:59 pm

Sorry to post on an old thread but I found this interesting. I recently purchased a grab box at an estate sale and found some .475 A&M dies in it. It appears that rifles are very rare in this caliber. Scouring the internet I found 3 records of a 475 A&M rifle for sale including the forum post here. One from Rock Island, April 2013, one private party listing on armslist Dec 2013, then here. It appears to be the same rifle from looking at the pics in all three instances, with wood grain appearing to match.

Just thought this was interesting. I imagine the rifle is a hoot to experiment with and I hope your are still enjoying it. Also, i'd make a good deal for the dies i found if anyone is interested. Both RCBS; Full Length sizing die, and seating die.

buckstix
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Re: 475 A&M - I got another CANNON - WTD - info on A&M rifle Co.

Post by buckstix » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:42 pm

ljthegiant wrote:Sorry to post on an old thread but I found this interesting. I recently purchased a grab box at an estate sale and found some .475 A&M dies in it. It appears that rifles are very rare in this caliber. Scouring the internet I found 3 records of a 475 A&M rifle for sale including the forum post here. One from Rock Island, April 2013, one private party listing on armslist Dec 2013, then here. It appears to be the same rifle from looking at the pics in all three instances, with wood grain appearing to match.

Just thought this was interesting. I imagine the rifle is a hoot to experiment with and I hope your are still enjoying it. Also, i'd make a good deal for the dies i found if anyone is interested. Both RCBS; Full Length sizing die, and seating die.
Hello ljthegiant,

Thanks for the reply.

The Rock Island listing was legit, but the armslist one was a "scam". I'm still enjoying the rifle.

And yes, I'd be interested in purchasing the 475 dies from you.