African Classic Cartridges-Articles by Ganyana

Posts related to rifles.
scottruss
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Re: African Classic Cartridges-Articles by Ganyana

Post by scottruss » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:11 am

interesting articles you can get a lot of info thank u for sharing them here.

scott

Last edited by scottruss on Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

For Advertising mail webmaster
timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:12 am

Having gone through these articles (for which I thank you, Vikram), they are enjoyable, quick reads and informative, as well. One thing that I think was spotlighted quite well was Ganyana's constant stress on "the working man." I really enjoyed the settler/farmer/working man perspective that came out, especially when talking about 6.5x54, 7x57, 8x57, 318 Westley Richards, and the 577/450. Here I note his like of heavy bullets with high sectional density for penetration. It seems to me that his stress on penetration when using these marginal rounds (at least, that's what we'd consider them today) on big game has a similarity to the discussion on using small handguns for self defense.

I liked his discussion on Mauser and Mauser magnum actions, and his tracing how various events shaped what kind of guns and cartridges became successful and faded away in African use.

I loved his description of the British Martini Henry, which I also consider the best single shot battle rifle of that day.

One big thought that was reinforced was the importance of bullet construction. I've long felt that having a bullet hold together was a key factor, and in those days of largely proprietary cartridges, it was quite possible for a cartridge that performed quite well ballistically to be a dud when it came to getting the job done, due to bullets that broke up when hitting the target.

All in all, some fun reading!
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

TamDl
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by TamDl » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:01 am

Thanks for these, very interesting. I read the 9.3 article on Nomas site which is quite an extraordinary claim for a cartridge that isn't major in every country, I gather. I used to read and occasionally ask questions of Don, on the Accuratereloader forum, and am glad to get some more of his work.