• Advertisement
Kiehberg.in -  Outdoor gear and sports equipment

IOF 30-06 Rifle

Posts related to rifles.
winnie_the_pooh
Posts: 1599
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:49 pm

Re: IOF 30-06 Rifle

Postby winnie_the_pooh » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:01 am

Parashant , TwoRivers is bang on.


Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their consciences.

For Advertising mail webmaster
User avatar
AgentDoubleS
Poster of the month - Apr 2015
Poster of the month - Apr 2015
Posts: 539
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Classified

Re: IOF 30-06 Rifle

Postby AgentDoubleS » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:02 am

Baljit wrote:
SS wrote:
Coming to the point- i got A-Zoom snap caps in 3006 many months ago. The bolt slides in with the snap cap but doesn't close! No idea why.




Ok Guy's

With my experience,If you can not close your bolt with different ammo or sanp caps, then it mean action is very tight and not have a enough tolerance in the action to accept other ammo or snap cap.
I know this is sounds like silly but we have to accept this.



Baljit


Baljit, is there a solution to this for which i can approach a gunsmith? Or do we just have to live with it?

Regards,
SS



User avatar
timmy
Posts: 1950
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:03 am
Location: I'm a Nuevo Mexicano

Re: IOF 30-06 Rifle

Postby timmy » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:04 am

winnie_the_pooh wrote:Parashant , TwoRivers is bang on.


Yes, Prashant, it appears that the chamber is cut shallow: the distance between the shoulder and the bolt face when the bolt is closed is too short to chamber that ammunition. Whether the problem is incorrectly sized ammunition or a too-small chamber is something that can only be determined with headspace gauges.

If there is a brand of ammunition that will chamber, it looks as if you are stuck with having to use that.


Regards,
tim

skeetshot
Posts: 216
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:55 pm
Location: Mongoli

Re: IOF 30-06 Rifle

Postby skeetshot » Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:51 pm

prashantsingh wrote:When I reached home and checked it out. I was shocked to see that the cartridge doesn't fit in.
Went back to the dealer and he checked with the latest model. The result was the same.
Took the cartridge to a friend who has a winchester 3006 and it fitted in perfectly.
Looks like I can only chamber a particular type of cartridge for my rifle or only IOF ammo .


Not to worry Prashant :)

My son recently bought an IOF 30-06 for his old man to play with, and it had the same problem.

It would chamber S & B slightly tight but the bolt would not fully close with Remington Core Lokt.

Some gunsmiths suggested that these rifles are "short chambered" and would need to have their chambers reamed.

I checked the two cartridges with an RCBS precision mic headspace gauge and found that though the S & B had slightly
lesser headspace, they were within spec.

The solution was rather simple:

1) I polished the bolt face : i.e. removed about 3 microns of the hard chrome on it

2) Remove the extractor

3) remove the ejector

4) Chuck the bolt on a lathe

5) Using Crocus cloth, polish the bolt face making sure not to leave the edges rounded

6) Try chambering the offending round

In my case it took just three minutes and the chambering became butter smooth.

CAUTION: Dont get too enthusiastic or one can create excessive headspace

Technically, this job is a lollipop, but many of us do not have access to a proper lathe and lathe operator.

In that case, go to Bobby Sidhu or some other knowledgable gunsmith.



User avatar
ckkalyan
Posts: 1410
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 10:37 pm
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Contact:

Re: IOF 30-06 Rifle

Postby ckkalyan » Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:19 pm

Wow skeetshot, very nice solution! :)


When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

aadhaulya
Posts: 1174
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:41 pm

Re: IOF 30-06 Rifle

Postby aadhaulya » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:57 pm

skeetshot wrote:The solution was rather simple:
1) I polished the bolt face : i.e. removed about 3 microns of the hard chrome on it
2) Remove the extractor
3) remove the ejector
4) Chuck the bolt on a lathe
5) Using Crocus cloth, polish the bolt face making sure not to leave the edges rounded
6) Try chambering the offending round

In my case it took just three minutes and the chambering became butter smooth.

CAUTION: Dont get too enthusiastic or one can create excessive headspace

Technically, this job is a lollipop, but many of us do not have access to a proper lathe and lathe operator.

In that case, go to Bobby Sidhu or some other knowledgable gunsmith.


Dear skeetshot'

Since I also face the same problem with PPU, this sounds like a good solution, to make the bolt chamber the particular type of Ammo (PPU). But my apprehension is that shaving off the head may create a larger head space that would be OK for PPU but for the S & B cartridges that I normally use, it would sit loose. May be the head space (even though) may be very minor but will it not be counter productive or dangerous in the long run on regular use of S&B.
Need advise on the above from the experienced members.

Regards



User avatar
nagarifle
Posts: 3379
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:43 pm
Location: The Land of the Nagas

Re: IOF 30-06 Rifle

Postby nagarifle » Sun May 03, 2015 8:37 am

NRAI new price list for the members lists IOF 3006 as:
.30.06 BORE IOF RIFLE 120760.00 + +12.5% VAT

no more discount to members so it would seem
http://www.thenrai.in/PDF/7af71c96-0ec1 ... e6fa74.pdf
National Rifle Association of India
RATE LIST
The Following Items are available for sale to NRAI Members as on 17/04/2015
AMMUNITION SALE PRICE (Rs)+12.5% VAT
12 BORE IOF 4 NO,6 NO ,7 NO 63.00
.315 BORE IOF 80.00
.22 BORE IOF 20.00
.32 REVOLVER IOF 43.00
.32 PISTOL IOF 63.00
ARMS SALE PRICE (Rs)+12.5% VAT
.315 BORE IOF RIFLE 79075.00
.30.06 BORE IOF RIFLE 120760.00
.32 BORE IOF PISTOL 107245.00
.32 BORE IOF REVOLVER 105350.00
.177 AIR PISTOL STYER LP10 113970.00
.177 AIR PISTOL MORINI 118472.00
.177 LG400 ALUTEC 170900.00
.177 AIR PISTOL AP20 HAMMERLI 44595.00
.177 AIR RIFLE AR 20 48800.00
.177 AIR PELLRTS RWS R10 MATCH 451.00
.177 AIR PELLETS RWS CLUB 336.00
STORES COST + 5% VAT
CLAY BIRDS CORSIVIA 895/BOX OF 150
NRAI LOGO LAPEL PINS 60.00
NRAI LOGO COFFEE MUG 120.00
VAT 12.5% ON SALE PRICE EXTRA
SALE TIMINGS
MONDAY – FRIDAY
10.30 AM TO 3.30 PM
SATURDAY/SUNDAY – HOLIDAYS
OFFICE WILL REMAIN CLOSED ON ALL GAZETTED
HOLIDAYS
Last edited by nagarifle on Sun May 03, 2015 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.


Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

aadhaulya
Posts: 1174
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:41 pm

Re: IOF 30-06 Rifle

Postby aadhaulya » Sun May 03, 2015 9:28 am

Every one likes to make a profit. But NRAI seems to have crossed the limit.

Regards



User avatar
ckkalyan
Posts: 1410
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 10:37 pm
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Contact:

Re: IOF 30-06 Rifle

Postby ckkalyan » Sun May 03, 2015 12:09 pm

Nice margin, huh?

http://ofbindia.gov.in/index.php?wh=Sporting+Arms

0.30-06" Sporting Rifle. This weapon is sold through dealers.
Price w.e.f. 05/08/2014 - Total price: Rs 76,900 plus taxes as applicable.


When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

User avatar
xl_target
Posts: 3455
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:47 am
Location: USA

Re: IOF 30-06 Rifle

Postby xl_target » Wed May 06, 2015 8:27 am

aadhaulya wrote:
skeetshot wrote:The solution was rather simple:
1) I polished the bolt face : i.e. removed about 3 microns of the hard chrome on it
2) Remove the extractor
3) remove the ejector
4) Chuck the bolt on a lathe
5) Using Crocus cloth, polish the bolt face making sure not to leave the edges rounded
6) Try chambering the offending round

In my case it took just three minutes and the chambering became butter smooth.

CAUTION: Dont get too enthusiastic or one can create excessive headspace

Technically, this job is a lollipop, but many of us do not have access to a proper lathe and lathe operator.

In that case, go to Bobby Sidhu or some other knowledgable gunsmith.


Dear skeetshot'

Since I also face the same problem with PPU, this sounds like a good solution, to make the bolt chamber the particular type of Ammo (PPU). But my apprehension is that shaving off the head may create a larger head space that would be OK for PPU but for the S & B cartridges that I normally use, it would sit loose. May be the head space (even though) may be very minor but will it not be counter productive or dangerous in the long run on regular use of S&B.
Need advise on the above from the experienced members.

Regards


Is the action heat treated or carburized? Do we know what IOF does?
Carburizing is just a surface treatment and can be as thin as .005 to .01 (of an inch)
Sanding down the surface of the bolt could cause serious problems down the line.

Now before I go any further, I have no idea what kind of treatment IOF does to its bolts or what kind of material the bolt is made of.
However, personally, I wouldn't do anything to the bolt face. Well not if you value your good looks. :)


“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

aadhaulya
Posts: 1174
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:41 pm

Re: IOF 30-06 Rifle

Postby aadhaulya » Thu May 07, 2015 5:59 am

xl_target wrote:Is the action heat treated or carburized? Do we know what IOF does?
Carburizing is just a surface treatment and can be as thin as .005 to .01 (of an inch)
Sanding down the surface of the bolt could cause serious problems down the line.

Now before I go any further, I have no idea what kind of treatment IOF does to its bolts or what kind of material the bolt is made of.
However, personally, I wouldn't do anything to the bolt face. Well not if you value your good looks. :)


Thanks xl_target, that is what I wanted to know. I have stopped using the PPU ammo.

Regards



hks2056
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:57 pm
Location: delhi

Re: IOF 30-06 Rifle

Postby hks2056 » Sun May 10, 2015 1:22 pm

It is interesting to read the experiences and gratuitous advice in this forum about improving the IOF 30-06 rifle.I thinks that 99 percent of those who are posting from India are not likely to fire more than 5 to 10 rounds in a year after first six months enthusiasm of IOF 30-06 ownership dries up.Those who will fire regularly have reason to worry for their safety if tinkering with the bolt , barrel and firing mechanism is done.Every one knows that rifle metal components package is like a car engine.No car engine can ever be improved or upgraded without replacing the original components with specialist parts which are available in the market from renowned manufacturers.Unfortunately no such after market parts are available for bolt and barrel of the rifle in India.One can understand the loosening and tightening of magazine for smooth feeding of rounds.Any tinkering with bolt and barrel is unwise as it will compromise the firearm safety.Stocking up the IOF rifle with fancy walnut etc etc is not going to improve the accuracy. Now I can understand why idle brain is called devil`s workshop.The best advice I read in this portal was of the person who eased the stiff bolt after dipping it in engine oil and by working the bolt 250 times in the chamber till feeding action become smooth.Administrator should promptly delete the dangerous advices which will compromise the safety of the weapon.
With regards to all.



User avatar
ckkalyan
Posts: 1410
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 10:37 pm
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Contact:

Re: IOF 30-06 Rifle

Postby ckkalyan » Sun May 10, 2015 1:51 pm

Right, well said hks2056!

IOU, er.. I'm sorry I mean't IOF...No, no, what I really mean't is that every gun owner in India should be a certified and qualified master gunsmith before they are allowed to buy any IOF product (including the ammo).

Why ammo - you may ask?

The Govt. realized what Gabbar Singh said (may have implied in his famous dialogue - director's cut) long ago, in SHOLAY could have been true and hence required (question Gabbar? - at your own risk, being the logic)!

Therefore, in the new proposed arms rules 2015....they want:

"Thakur, is goli pe tera naam hai" (not to mention serial number)!

Actually I have a great idea, since only 50 rounds are allowed per firearm, why not manufacture ammo with photo ID's on each individual bullet and the case - that way the IOF can at least justify their existence while claiming "latest, improved technology" - PLUS very easily tracked - right? ROTFL

:deadhorse:


When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

aadhaulya
Posts: 1174
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:41 pm

Re: IOF 30-06 Rifle

Postby aadhaulya » Sun May 10, 2015 3:04 pm

hks2056 wrote:It is interesting to read the experiences and gratuitous advice in this forum about improving the IOF 30-06 rifle.I thinks that 99 percent of those who are posting from India are not likely to fire more than 5 to 10 rounds in a year after first six months enthusiasm of IOF 30-06 ownership dries up.Those who will fire regularly have reason to worry for their safety if tinkering with the bolt , barrel and firing mechanism is done.Every one knows that rifle metal components package is like a car engine.No car engine can ever be improved or upgraded without replacing the original components with specialist parts which are available in the market from renowned manufacturers.Unfortunately no such after market parts are available for bolt and barrel of the rifle in India.One can understand the loosening and tightening of magazine for smooth feeding of rounds.Any tinkering with bolt and barrel is unwise as it will compromise the firearm safety.Stocking up the IOF rifle with fancy walnut etc etc is not going to improve the accuracy. Now I can understand why idle brain is called devil`s workshop.The best advice I read in this portal was of the person who eased the stiff bolt after dipping it in engine oil and by working the bolt 250 times in the chamber till feeding action become smooth.Administrator should promptly delete the dangerous advices which will compromise the safety of the weapon.
With regards to all.


Very well said.
Unfortunately I am one of the lower percentage of people trying to 'borrow' :) ammunition from shooters at the range after my quota of ammo gets over, so that I can continue with my fun of plinking (no interest in target practice).

Regards

Atul



User avatar
hatied
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:08 pm

Re: IOF 30-06 Rifle

Postby hatied » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:59 am

Which one is the most powerful rifle ammunition .315 or .30-06 ? And what are their effective range?




Return to “Rifles”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests