What are the good 30.06 rifles available in India?

Posts related to rifles.
Skyman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: What are the good 30.06 rifles available in India?

Post by Skyman » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:33 pm

While the above conversation is as complicated as quark physics, i enjoyed it nevertheless.

Ab - I suspect you pay reduced rates? How much can the rest of us civvies expect to pay for ammo of various calibers esp 30.06? I handled a shotgun cartridge once - A bank guard at my local bank gave me a " Shaktiman Express " cart to handle.The red one.I asked him how much and he said " Bahuth saara paisa ".

Wonder how much it was, seeing it boldly said " Imported primer " on the paper covering.
I would rather hit my target gently than miss hard.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:47 pm

Skyman,
What reduced rates are you on about?
I am a civilian.
I pay exactly the same rates as everyone else on the range.
And where are you planning on shooting a .30-06, that you expect a state association to sell ctgs for the same? 300 m ranges are not exactly very common in our country.
To Excellence through Diligence.

Skyman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Skyman » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:57 pm

Don't association members get ammo at reduced rates? And no, i was talking about 30.06 in the open market.
I would rather hit my target gently than miss hard.

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:09 pm

Association members do not get ammo at reduced rates.However,we buy ammo at highly inflated rates.Skyman,do you have a license or is this thread purely for academic purposes?

z375
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by z375 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:55 pm

Safarigent wrote: Z375 is lying, he has a titanium barrel hand forged by jungfrau wilhelm nordenheim. Steyr just happened to be the piddly firm which put its name on the front of the building!
Oh how i wish it was like that!! :lol:
"With solid bullets on heavy animals such as elephant, rhino and buffalo this power is quite apparent but is not so obvious as when soft-nose bullets are being used, say, lion, particularly when is a case of stopping a charge : the .404 will stop him all right, but will seldom crumple him quite so completely as will the .416" -- John Taylor, Big Game and Big Game Rifles, (Ch. IX)

z375
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by z375 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:01 pm

winnie_the_pooh wrote:z375,

Since the bolt locks into the barrel,would it not be easy to make a tubular receiver from steel with a hanger welded on for the trigger unit and a mag well to take the magazine and a ventilated handguard? How about turning the IOF 30-06 into a tube gun? ideas... ideas :wink:

It wouldnt be too difficult to turn the IOF into a tube gun, all that you need is a chain-stamping MS sheet for the ventilated shroud around the barrel, an angle grinder to grind away the unnecessary excess in the magazine well, and some car patch filler!! if executed properly the results will be rewarding, if done in haste, well..you will end up with a very expensive tomato stake for the veggie garden! :mrgreen:
"With solid bullets on heavy animals such as elephant, rhino and buffalo this power is quite apparent but is not so obvious as when soft-nose bullets are being used, say, lion, particularly when is a case of stopping a charge : the .404 will stop him all right, but will seldom crumple him quite so completely as will the .416" -- John Taylor, Big Game and Big Game Rifles, (Ch. IX)

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:24 pm

jungfrau wilhelm nordenheim replied in an email that a sauer 202 will make a very nice tomato stake for the veggie garden.

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:27 pm

Coming back to the topic at hand, beggars cant be choosers, irrespective of what jungfrau wilhelm nordenheim says

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:25 pm

z375,I was thinking more along the lines of a new receiver.

z375
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by z375 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:18 pm

Winnie,

There's really no need for a new receiver, the existing design does the job perfectly, I have heard of some gunsmith up North making 'steel' receivers for the IOF .30-06, I personally cannot comprehend the need for this given the relationship between the receiver with the bolt, it would also raise a lot of skeptical eyebrows as far as the legality of making a component which may effectively contribute to the function/manufacture of a firearm part or part thereof. If you can carve out a receiver?? well...Nuff said. :shock:

I personally would not consider this existing design whilst conjuring up a 300m target rifle, I would much prefer a solid barrel, precisely threaded and headspaced onto a receiver with conical lugs and an alloy chassis for the barreled action to sit on inside a one-piece stock in a synthetic/laminated target pattern.

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:09 pm

z375 wrote: an angle grinder to grind away the unnecessary excess in the magazine well, and some car patch filler!!

I was responding to this..and this is what I was suggesting,is possible http://www.tubegun.net/

and I agree,the receiver,as it is,does the job.

addict
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by addict » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:10 am

My opinion . . go for iof 30.06 . . most accurate of the available lot
or if you can spend more than 7 Lacs . . search for a foreign made one that is close to it in accuracy.

Best wishes

gladiatorgarg
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by gladiatorgarg » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:23 pm

Please dont mind bro do u want a good rifle or you want to show off your equip :? as already been repeated by esteemed people in this forum IOF 30-06 & my personal experience its a very good equip with a decent price tag....my personal advice save the money it will be of use in future bro....plz don't mind my straight n blunt statement get an IOF n set the targets on fire bro :cheers:

miroflex
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by miroflex » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:45 pm

Does any member own or has owned or heard of anyone who owns a Winchester Model 1895 lever action repeater chambered for the .30-06 cartridge? I would be glad to hear from someone who does or has done so. Such rifles seem to be very rare.

Regards.
"To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived." Sherlock Holmes in "The Adventure Of The Copper Beeches" by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:35 am

miroflex wrote:Does any member own or has owned or heard of anyone who owns a Winchester Model 1895 lever action repeater chambered for the .30-06 cartridge? I would be glad to hear from someone who does or has done so. Such rifles seem to be very rare.

Regards.
Winchester chambered the M1895 for both the .30-03, and then the .30-06, though I don't know what the production numbers were. When they re-introduced the rifle, the first chamberings were .270 WCF, a strange choice, and .30-06. Have to say that the trigger on the original was better, mine has a trigger pull that's several pounds heavier and rather gritty. Other than that, it's a M1895. And "Browning" was clever enough to provide the loading procedure for rimmed rounds in the user manual.