My New IOF .30-06

Posts related to rifles.
veeveeaar
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: My New IOF .30-06

Post by veeveeaar » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:47 pm

Congrats vivek , Rommba porramaia iruku!

For Advertising mail webmaster
vivekpeter
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by vivekpeter » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:20 pm

@Surajshuresh - Hi, I did not inquire about them, but you can give them a call (directly to Mr Simson would fetch you a very clear answer). You can get his mobile number from their website.

@Vikram - I used savage scope rings to mount the scope, and the scope rail was custom made by a good friend of mine. The rail was actually made for a Weirauch HW90 air rifle, but we mounted it on my rifle now.

@veeveeaar - Sir, its good to see a mutual friend in IFG from Madurai. Hoping to meet you soon!

Today I shot 5 rounds from my IOF .30-06. Four of them were KF rounds, and one was S&B, all 180gr. The target was a piece of stone placed at a distance of about 60 yards (I am a newbie at this :oops: ) I had zeroed the scope with a boresighter, and then fired 4 rounds and missed the target (by 6 inches to the right).
After that, the scope was tuned (using the conventional 'look through the barrel and adjust windage and elevation in the scope' method), and then fired the remaining 1 shot exactly at the target. With this, I think my scope has been zeroed in.
Hoping to do more shooting the coming weekend.
Sorry I forgot to take photographs or videos since I was too excited about shooting my own rifle.. :)
Gun control??!!

prashantsingh
Poster of the Month - Aug 2011
Poster of the Month - Aug 2011

Post by prashantsingh » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:28 pm

Congrats Vivek.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:28 pm

Vivek,

The reason I asked was that the rail did look like that of an air rifle. I do not know how suitable it is for your rifle. I would suggest doing a bit of research about suitable mounts,base etc, and the zeroing procedure. Set-up a proper target at 100 yards and have a proper go. Your rifle is worth the effort.

On how to mount a scope: You may not get clearer instructions than this.

http://www.indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1327

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Katana
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Katana » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:30 am

Vivek,

The 11mm rail is not suited for this rifle. The rail is meant for fitting a diopter sight. Use the screw taps (4 nos.) on the receiver to mount bases (21mm) and thence the rings.
Justice alone is the mainstay of government and the source of prosperity to the governed, injustice is the most pernicious of things; it saps the foundations of the government and brings ruin upon the realm - Sher Shah Sur, Sultan-ul-Adil.

thakur
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by thakur » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:32 am

Vivek,

Congratulations and safe shooting.

How many rounds in the magazine, 3 ro 5?
Cheers,
Thakur

"Shoot well - Lens or Rifle"

AgentDoubleS
Poster of the month - Apr 2015
Poster of the month - Apr 2015

Post by AgentDoubleS » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:39 pm

Congratulations Vivek. Great buy! :cheers:

Incidentally, I remember Kenneth Anderson mentioning in quite a few of his hunts a torch attached to his .405 Winchester. Is that where the inspiration is from! :D :wink:

- SS
Last edited by AgentDoubleS on Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:11 pm

Hi vivekpeter,

> Congrats on your new acquisition :D
> Wow! Rs.250/- a POP :roll:
> Way back I used to get them @ Rs.15/- a POP (Way back means in 1968 :lol: ) They were 180gr Silver Tips.
> Is your scope a 'Variable' ?
> Happy / Safe Shooting
Brihacharan

Armour
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Armour » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:38 pm

Congratulations Buddy,
Nice piece you got there. Have a same one. Can you tell me where to manage the mount base you have fitted on the dove tail?? Does it fit perfectly in the factory cut dove tail??

vivekpeter
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by vivekpeter » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:18 pm

@Armour - The base was actually custom made by my friend, and was actually meant for an air rifle. But I have mounted it on my firearm now and it fit like a glove. I would change it as soon as possible and use a rail mount as katanaji has suggested.

@Briha - Yes, the scope is a variable scope.

@SS - thanks buddy! True about the Kenneth Anderson light, but I am no man eater killer.. :)

@Thakur - The rifle came with a 3 round magazine. In some of the videos available on Youtube, I saw some IOF .30-06 with a 5 shot magazine. I would buy that if I can get it locally.

@katana - Sure sir. I will definitely use a 21mm rail on the screws and mount my scopes on it.
Gun control??!!

BowMan
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by BowMan » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:41 pm

Hi Vivek,

I just though it worthwhile to warn you that it is generally not a good idea to use objects like stones as Targets. A bullet can ricochet and travel a long distance.

To properly zero it you might want to use a paper target placed at 25 yards and zero till you observe a group as close to target center as possible using rest.

You may then place the target at around 260 yards (MPBR = 259 yards) and shoot some rounds and the bullets should still group at the center. With this your zeroing in is truly complete and your rifle now has an effective range of nearly 300 yards.

Regards
BowMan.

vikky11
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by vikky11 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:44 pm

Congratulations , a good rifle by iof .

lakecity_shooter
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by lakecity_shooter » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:27 pm

Congratulation vivek.........nice rifle you got there .!
"Defeat is a choice so as victory,You are never beaten till u decide"

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:14 pm

Hi Guys,
> I note the reference to Kenneth Anderson made by fellow IFGians... let me tell you this...
> Many years ago when I was actively using my Winchester 30.06, I became a fan of Kenneth Anderson after reading his books.
> As he was living in Bangalore at that time, I even wrote him a letter relating my interest to meet him personally - the best part of this was that I did not have his address.
> However in one of his books he had mentioned about his house which was a red brick cottage type close to the Queen Victoria Statue.
> I simply addressed my letter to him - Mr. Kenneth Anderson, Red Brick Cottage, Near Queen Victiria Statue, Bangalore & posted it.
> I was literally blown away when I received a reply from him (hand written inland letter) expressing his surprise at the address I had written!
> He was gracious enough to invite me to his house with a request that I inform him a week in advance of my arrival.
> However it so happened that I had to go to Bangalore to attend a meeting & took the opportunity to drop in on Mr. Anderson un-announced (rather took a chance)
> I was received by Mrs. Anderson & his son Donald - they informed me that Mr. Anderson was hospitalized earlier that week & was recovering from Malaria which he probably contracted on one of his trips to the jungles.
> Since I had a flight to catch to Bombay later that afternoon - I spent time with Donald - who incidentally played the 'Double' for the Hollywood actor Stewart Granger who acted in the film "Harry Black & The Tiger"!!!!
> The walls of his drawing room was full of his photographs with Stewart Granger & display of quite a few firearms.
> Mr. Kenneth Anderson & I exchanged a few letters thereafter.... Sweet old memories!!!
Briha

RamMani
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by RamMani » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:56 pm

Congratulation Brother,

Safe and Happy Shooting,

Regards,
R.Mani,
Karur(TN)