My New IOF .30-06

Posts related to rifles.
shooter50
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: My New IOF .30-06

Post by shooter50 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:00 pm

Bri
Is Donald Anderson still staying in Bangalore?
All the best

For Advertising mail webmaster
AgentDoubleS
Poster of the month - Apr 2015
Poster of the month - Apr 2015

Post by AgentDoubleS » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:48 pm

brihacharan wrote:Hi Guys,
> I note the reference to Kenneth Anderson made by fellow IFGians... let me tell you this...
> Many years ago when I was actively using my Winchester 30.06, I became a fan of Kenneth Anderson after reading his books.
> As he was living in Bangalore at that time, I even wrote him a letter relating my interest to meet him personally - the best part of this was that I did not have his address.
> However in one of his books he had mentioned about his house which was a red brick cottage type close to the Queen Victoria Statue.
> I simply addressed my letter to him - Mr. Kenneth Anderson, Red Brick Cottage, Near Queen Victiria Statue, Bangalore & posted it.
> I was literally blown away when I received a reply from him (hand written inland letter) expressing his surprise at the address I had written!
> He was gracious enough to invite me to his house with a request that I inform him a week in advance of my arrival.
> However it so happened that I had to go to Bangalore to attend a meeting & took the opportunity to drop in on Mr. Anderson un-announced (rather took a chance)
> I was received by Mrs. Anderson & his son Donald - they informed me that Mr. Anderson was hospitalized earlier that week & was recovering from Malaria which he probably contracted on one of his trips to the jungles.
> Since I had a flight to catch to Bombay later that afternoon - I spent time with Donald - who incidentally played the 'Double' for the Hollywood actor Stewart Granger who acted in the film "Harry Black & The Tiger"!!!!
> The walls of his drawing room was full of his photographs with Stewart Granger & display of quite a few firearms.
> Mr. Kenneth Anderson & I exchanged a few letters thereafter.... Sweet old memories!!!
Briha
Wonderful experience Briha.. Thanks for sharing it. I'm pushing my luck..but do you still have those letters?

Sorry mods this is off topic!

tandavbaba
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by tandavbaba » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:39 pm

What is the price....after paying "the taxes"
It's time to burn in HELL!!!!!!!

tandavbaba
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by tandavbaba » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:41 pm

Or is there a rule that no body discloses the actual money that was paid for buying a good rifle in my country? ROTFL

Vineet
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vineet » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:49 pm

tandavbaba wrote:What is the price....after paying "the taxes"
The dealers are quoting around 1L (+/- 5K) with two magazines (3 shot and 5 shot).
Vineet Armoury
Arms, Ammunition & Accessories.

darashp
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by darashp » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:24 pm

congrats dear have a safe shooting :wink: the price of the rifle is reducded this year i have bought it last year for 1.13k including tax at ludhiana.

Vineet
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vineet » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:48 pm

darashp wrote:congrats dear have a safe shooting :wink: the price of the rifle is reducded this year i have bought it last year for 1.13k including tax at ludhiana.
Last year the price of IOF .30-06 rifle was less than this year. Last year when I enquired with a dealer in Muktsar, Punjab, he quoted 85K for it. Many dealers in Haryana also quoted the same price.

More on this http://www.indiansforguns.com/viewtopic ... 13&t=15196
Vineet Armoury
Arms, Ammunition & Accessories.

tandavbaba
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by tandavbaba » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:27 am

1.13k for a 30-06 with no scope i was not surprised but why do we have to pay for an ordinary American gun in INDIA?

:deadhorse:

Equal to $2019.66,

People you know what you can buy for this much money in U.S of A (Which you cannot import since 1986)
Here is the list

FN Herstal SPR .308 Sniper -- $1,999.00
Remington 700 5R 308 20" TB X-Werks Magpul OD --$1,259.95
French MAS 1949/56 Sniper Rifle with Scope --$1,395.00
Steyr Sniper Rifle ssg O4 in .308 --$,1350.00
Mosin-Nagant M1891/30 Sniper Rifle in 7.62x54R --$999.00
Enfield Model L42A1 Sniper .303 British --$925.00
Enfield MK4 No. 1 S, Sniper --$1,895.00

reference :-- http://www.gunsinternational.com/Sniper ... cat_id=365

The petrol prices are already higher than BANGLADESH and Pakistan and now they want to collect taxes from us on cheap easily available weapons too, why no one ever questioned the authority?

It's just our own ignorance due to which the government of India is doing this on us, i am no revolutionary but i know i am not buying a 30-06 when a single round costs me Rs.250.

vivekpeter
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by vivekpeter » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:17 am

@tandavbaba -

The price for which I bought my rifle was 96000 INR which included taxes.

And if you can get your hands on some IOF cartridges, they are very cheap... 72 INR a pop.

Regards,
Vivek
Gun control??!!

Yogeshpagedar
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Yogeshpagedar » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:28 am

Congrats Vivek.

miroflex
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by miroflex » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:32 pm

I am told that an improved and more expensive .30-06 IOF rifle is with the dealers now. Does anyone know what the improvements are and whether they justify the increase in price?

Regards.
"To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived." Sherlock Holmes in "The Adventure Of The Copper Beeches" by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Raptor
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Raptor » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:48 pm

congratulations! Hard to believe it's an IOF....beautiful stock...is that comfortable though..the cheekpiece looks a bit too long? But seriously.....have fun sir and safe shooting! :D
"It's better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it."

Arien73
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Arien73 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:04 pm

Hi,
congratulations on your new buy... i live in u.s.. and would like to comment on the product of iof that finally IOF has made some thing good after years..a nd the rifle looks good and somewhat close to international standards... with few exceptions... You should buy good mounts with good finish and the stock of rifle is very good looking but had they blued the rest of rifle vs painting it... with proper finish it would have been just like rifles we see here..... no doubt you have a very good scope mounted on it but invest in rail mount.... and please do post your experience regarding the accuracy of this rifle at 200 + yards .. thanx

joshuamathew
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by joshuamathew » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:45 am

joshua wrote:Hi
I stumbled upon this, and thought I would let you all know that Donald Anderson is 79, and in poor health, but very much alive.
If anyone of you would be interested to meet him, do let me know. Briha, could you let me know how I can contact you ? You could write to me at [email protected]
Joshua

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:22 pm

joshuamathew wrote:
joshua wrote:Hi
I stumbled upon this, and thought I would let you all know that Donald Anderson is 79, and in poor health, but very much alive.
If anyone of you would be interested to meet him, do let me know. Briha, could you let me know how I can contact you ? You could write to me at [email protected]
Joshua
Hi joshuamathew,
> What a pleasant surprise to know that Donald Anderson is 79 and is still around :D
> BTW does he still live in the Red Brick Cottage near the Queen Victoria statue in Bangalore?
> After reading your post I made a quick mental rewind (almost 40 years!!!!) Donald then was in his mid 30's - a handsome athletically built young man with a striking resemblance to the Hollywood actor Stewart Granger!
> Pl PM me you cell no. - we could talk :D
Briha