For all you big bore buffs - a new monster round

Posts related to rifles.
mehulkamdar

For all you big bore buffs - a new monster round

Post by mehulkamdar » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:15 am

Check this thread on AR out http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve ... /139106915 The new 606 Mammoth is a considerably more powerful round than the 600 Nitro Express. Now if you believe in karma and punishing yourself for shooting something so that you do not have to suffer in your afterlife, this may be a good idea. :lol:

Cheers,

Mehul

For Advertising mail webmaster
HSharief
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by HSharief » Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:01 pm

I can't wait for the day when double rifles and Howitzers (insert your fav brand of artillery) use the same ammo.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:58 am

I also found on the same page
Shooting big bore rifles does come at the cost of stressing ones body. In
preparation for my last Safari I fired 400 rounds of 505 Gibbs, with 200 of
them off the bench. Just before that hunt my shoulder became sore and
started aching. Later there was numbness in my fingers. Problems with my
trigger finger prompted me to consult a physical therapist friend of mine.
He determined I had a ruptured disk in the neck that was pinching a nerve.
Regular workouts and neck stretching pretty much cured it but he warned me
of shooting the big bores. I had already started my 606 project and was
financially committed so knew there was some risk. The next summer when it
became time to start shooting the beast I proceeded cautiously. The lead
sled was handy and used for all bench work but eventually shoulder firing
was needed. Limiting myself to 6 rounds per day at first I gradually worked
up from there. Then a short drag on a pronghorn antelope and the pinched
nerve became active again. I?m hopping it was mostly from the drag.
Acquiring my own neck stretcher and using it two times a day has helped but
hasn?t eliminated the problem. There is slight numbness in my right index
finger, something that would worry any shooter. I understand this is a
common occurrence from the whiplash of car accidents. I have also learned
that this is especially common with big bore shooters. I hope to stave off
surgery.
I read somewhere that dislocated shoulders,cracked collar bones,ruptured corneas,torn ligaments,concussions,nose and/or ear bleeding etc are not very uncommon among the test shooters at Weatherby's. :shock:

Your choice .......

Best-Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:59 am

dislocated shoulders,cracked collar bones,ruptured corneas,torn ligaments,concussions,nose and/or ear bleeding etc are not very uncommon among the test shooters at Weatherby's.
Seems a Howitzer is better for a persons health than one of these modren big bore rifles :) Another advantage is that they will unfaillingly produce one shot kills :D and the meat will be nice and tender and allready in small manageable pieces.So no need for butchering your kill.

Get the 155mm Bofors rifle. Big bore,long range, good penetration and massive expansion :lol: Plus you will be sitting on top of it rather than behind it when you fire it :) But then somebody might get a 205mm 'rifle' and somebody else might decide that only a 12" or 14" naval gun would do.I believe the Soviets had converted some of their Naval guns into field artillery.So you can never win. What next,hammers to kill flies?

For me Asifs 450/400 would do nicely :lol: I believe the 404 Jeffery was designed to get the same performence in bolt action rifles.

Take care,
penpusher

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:55 am

penpusherh,

In the Weatherby's case, the sheer volume of shooting high velocity rounds takes a great toll on the shooters' bodies.Especially so while shooting 300+ magnum loads. Just to sight in those rifles is a bloody chore.

Best- Vikram

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:03 pm

Vikram/penpusher
Remember my post a while ago about new service rifle replacing the M-16 in Iraq?577/600 semi auto HK/AK/M-06 Hybrid-Rolling out soon!!

... power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely... :lol:

Which nutter wants to go around doing major test firing like that on a major caliber, with what looks like a cervical spine damage-tingling in the fingers -see neuro or spine surgeon-after you see a shrink! Thats in case you dont make it to a wheel chair first as a quad. :twisted: The big game rifles were not intended to be used for destructive testing ON THE SHOOTER!

I fired 8 off a 458 mag and that was enough.Adrenaline or what ever, that is a major bruiser.30 shots off my 450/400-to date.like a 12ga-ok I'm biased 8)
Was about 4m west ward of a 300Wea Mag barrel when it was touched off and the resulting concussion drove the phlegm out of my chest into my throat-ready to spit out-no jokes.Have a 30% hearing loss in both ears because of stunts like these.
Yeah, I know the part about zeroing a 300 Wea mag-perferred 180gr PSP-non boat tail.

So what's the point?A guinness mention for a shoulder fired 'Sporting' weapon generating 15000 fpe :roll: Somebody better tell this chappie to Wake up and smell the coffe Jock-all the game that can be shot has been done - with a 7mm.

Best
Axx
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

HSharief
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by HSharief » Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:38 pm

I wonder if you guys stumbled on this before. Here's a guy hunting whitetail deer with a cannon.

http://www.buckstix.com/howitzer.htm

Its "interesting" to say the least.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:34 pm

Sharief, your link reminded me of an old anecdote written by some one much loved. This happened in the late '60s when the Vetnam war was raging and the author was under training. Dredged it up from my mail box.
One frosty morn at Ft.Knox, KY, "A" Troop was scheduled for firing excercise avec Le M-79. I, a newbie 2Lt and the First Sgt were sent ahead of the unit, towing a small trailer with weapons and ammo behind the Jeep.
When we arrived at the range it was barely dawn on a cloudy and snow-threatening day. As we were pouring another cuppa cawfee from the Thermos(TM) the old sarge noted a small herd of deer grazing downrange. He asked if I liked venison.
We looked at each other, the old veteran and the boy, and simultaneously nodded. I took an M-79 and loaded it. He muttered "Range, 250" and I adjusted the sight accordingly.
"Pop" and the 40mm pellet was on it's way, arcing high into the gloom. True fact: The round impacted dead center among the 5 deer, killing all of them!
Now the problem was how to conceal our felony from the unit, especially the troop commander, and later recover our bounty.
Estimating that the troop was at least 45 minutes behind us, we dashed out and gutted all 5 Cervinus Defunctus, one buck and four does, then hid the carcasses in a nearby copse, there being neither catafalque nor catacomb readily to hand.
That evening, after the boys of Alpha Mob had departed, the old NCO and the boy returned to the scene of the crime, with two accomplices, and divvied up the flesh. Deeeee-licious! Luckily, I had a civilian friend upon whose farm I hunted who graciously furnished freezer space in exchange for a bit of Bambi.
For those who don't know what an M-79 is...
:wink:
http://world.guns.ru/grenade/gl06-e.htm

Best- Vikram

sat
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by sat » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:50 pm

You must have heard about the 'Weatherby's eye'. The rifle scope would hit the shooter above the eyebrow.

I know of a gentleman who cut his upper lip with the middle finger nail after recoil.... ouch!!

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:10 am

Vikram/Sharief/penpusher/Sat,

As you know I am no fan of monster bore guns and dislike recoil. I agree that the gentleman in question seems like someone whose tastes and inclinations we shall never understand - I always thought the idea of shooting a gun was to enjoy doing it? But then, I guess, people enjoy weird things (to me at least) and it is their body taking a beating, I guess. PErhaps, this is something that they do because they did not get the opportunity to box a few rounds with the reigning world heavyweight champion. :lol:

Asif,

The more I read of the kind of punishment that these monster bores mete out, the more I am convinced that if I ever get a double rifle it should be a 450-400. I enjoyed shooting Ernie Stallman's guns and must have shot about 50 to 60 rounds at the BGRC match with no difficulty whatsoever. The recoil was brisk but a pleasant push and a 375 Magnum bolt rifle that I shot that day for an equivalent number of rounds seemed to kick harder despite being less powerful. I guess stock design had something to do with it as the experts say on other forums...

That said, you have a treasure in your 450-400. My hat's off to whoever selected this chambering in your family when they first bought the gun and congratulations to subsequent generations who kept it for their very good taste. 8)

Cheers,

Mehul