Winchester MODEL 1902

Posts related to rifles.
shiv
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Winchester MODEL 1902

Post by shiv » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:17 pm

Found a Bolt action single shot .22 Winchester rifle at my Uncles house in coorg, he said its an antique and more than 100 years old..Has anyone ever seen or heard of such a rifle!
Shoots fine well maintained but blueing on the barrel mostly gone..

Its mentioned " Manufactured by the Winchester Repeating Arms Co- MODEL 1902 - WINCHESTER.
New Haven, Conn. U. S. A. Patented August 29. 1899. - 22 SHORT & LONG - Trademark-

Would like to buy it from him...
Could anybody let me know what the cost of such a rifle would be!

For Advertising mail webmaster
hamiclar01
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Winchester MODEL 1902

Post by hamiclar01 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:11 pm

Theoretically, according to prevailing world prices, not very much (60-150$)

Practically, given the status of exorbitant firearm/airgun prices in India (including our very own IFG buy/sell threads), I would desist asking for advice on prices here. There will be people asking for, and willing to pay outrageous amounts of money for a foreign gun. I would not be surprised if someone uses this thread to try to speak to your uncle directly and ruins your chances of a good bargain

I would say, use your family angle and some emotional "atyachaar" (beloved uncle/poor man/little children/old gun/stays in family/needs more work etc), get him to sell it to you as cheap as he can. Your can trawl through the buy sell threads to see the asking prices for .22s.( Let's hope your uncle doesn't see them :mrgreen: )
"Stan, don't you know the first law of physics? Anything that's fun costs at least eight dollars."

sudhaiob
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by sudhaiob » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:15 pm

If it fires only sorts\longs you may not find much use for it in india. ammunition is almost non existent or would be exorbitant

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:00 pm

If chambered for "Long", it will chamber "Long Rifle".

swajan
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by swajan » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:44 pm

My dear friends, I had this one, later had the deluxe model, only difference is the deluxe has a pistol grip. But both has butt loaded facility. Yours was probably just the first model and used for training of cadets before they be sent to job. If, it was not a civilian one, you will find a U.S symbol on the cocking barrel. After the war all these models were being sold in the market.

regards
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

shiv
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by shiv » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:39 am

@hamiclar01
My uncle did tell me to take the weapon free :) but me being a very good nephew :roll: ..wanted to pay him the prevailing market price! Guess I will go with the maximum prevailing world price for the gun (150$) :wink:

@sudhaiob
What do u mean....22 Long Rifle is very much available in India...our club has a good supply of them, I have a few boxes with me as well! :lol:

@TwoRivers
It is chambered for Long and can fire Long Rifle!

@swajan
Its a Bolt action Single shot...its called a Boys Gun as it was used to train boys before the war.

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:22 pm

shiv: It's exactly what the name implies. A "boy's rifle". A small, safe, single-shot for a boy's first rifle. Absolutely nothing to do with training for war. Boys in rural America used to hunt as soon as they were able to handle a gun. Take the guns to school, and go rabbit hunting after. Those were the good old days.

diskaon
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by diskaon » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:45 am

I recently bought a similar weapon. but mine says "Short, long and long rifle"

Added in 2 minutes 56 seconds:
diskaon wrote:I recently bought a similar weapon. but mine says "Short, long and long rifle"
I always wanted a rifle since I was a boy, so bought the "boy scout" version. ITs super fun to shoot, faster reloading than the muzzle loader I almost bought.
klick klack..... diskaon