M1 Garand

Posts related to rifles.
Baljit
Shooting true
Shooting true

M1 Garand

Post by Baljit » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:21 am

Hi, Guy's
I like to show you a picture of M1 Garand , this is not my gun it's my friend's gun i hope you guy's like this one, let me know

Baljit

For Advertising mail webmaster
Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: M1 Grand

Post by Sakobav » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:23 am

WHat happened to her..Could you list the enhancements and mods made whether he did it or was bought like this? Looks great thanks for sharing..My grandfather had one in original colors kicked like a Mule..

Best

Baljit
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: M1 Grand

Post by Baljit » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:41 am

ngrewal wrote:WHat happened to her..Could you list the enhancements and mods made whether he did it or was bought like this? Looks great thanks for sharing..My grandfather had one in original colors kicked like a Mule..

Best
SSA , Mr.Grewal sahib no it's not came like this , he modfide this by him self but i shoot this gun after the new stock and it's kick like a 12 bore but it's 30.06 cal. i am really impressed with new stock. i am thinking to buy one as well

Baljit

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Re: M1 Garand

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:37 am

Baljit,

Interesting rifle.Do you know of any one who can convert a M1 Garand to use a BAR magazine?

roy
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by roy » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:55 am

The Garand is still a fine rifle. Not the most modern and certainly not the lightest, but it's fame is very well deserved. I was introduced to this great rifle through the Texas Army National Guard in the early 1960s and have owned at least one for most of the years since then. Mine are all in stock condition except for one which is in the so called "tanker configuration" in 7.62x51 Nato. :mrgreen: Of course it is probably much easier for us to acquire these here in the USA than for our fellow gun fanciers in India. I do hope that your situation improves in this regard....

Tai Ahom
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Tai Ahom » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:14 am

roy wrote:The Garand is still a fine rifle. Not the most modern and certainly not the lightest, but it's fame is very well deserved. I was introduced to this great rifle through the Texas Army National Guard in the early 1960s and have owned at least one for most of the years since then. Mine are all in stock condition except for one which is in the so called "tanker configuration" in 7.62x51 Nato. :mrgreen: Of course it is probably much easier for us to acquire these here in the USA than for our fellow gun fanciers in India. I do hope that your situation improves in this regard....
May your wish come true

Bhaskar

roy
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by roy » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:51 pm

Garands would probably be harder to come by in India than here even if you had the same firearms laws which we do, but at least you would be able to buy one if you could find one for sale. State and local weapons laws in the US vary but I do not know of any which would prohibit ownership of a Garand in original configuration by anyone legally qualified to own firearms.
(Some benighted areas may ban larger magazine capacities, folding stocks, flash hiders or pistol grips on rifles)..... In Texas a a legal resident, at least 18 years old with no legal disabilities, can walk into a gunshop, see a gun he/she likes, and walk out with the new treasure in a few minutes. If you don't have a Concealed Handgun License a Federal NICS phoned in "instant" background check is required. This can take 5 or 10 minutes or up to, I believe 3 days if there is a question about eligibility to purchase, but most are much quicker. A Texas CHL replaces the Federal NICS check, you fill out the form, allow the dealer to copy your identifaction numbers, pay for your new toy, and haul it home with you immediately.

MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MoA » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:03 pm

The Garand is about the only .30-06 I would own. My Father had a Springfield M1 with a bunch of Frandform Armoury Ammo from the 40's when I was growing up. I shot quite a bit with it. I do like the one's that havent been bubba-ised better though.

Roy: Garand's are a lot more common than one would have thought in India. There were boat loads left behind after WWII.
Unfortunately now due to the gun laws in India the vast majority have been mutilated into single shots. :cheers:

roy
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by roy » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:01 pm

I had no idea that many Garands were sent to India during WWII. I had thought that Commonwealth weapons would be what was available. Converted to "single shot?" Do you mean a true single shot rifle such as a Martini Henry? Or were they converted to a manually operated repeater? When I hear "single shot" I think of a firearm which only holds one cartridge, but have heard the term used to mean one shot at a time as opposed to full auto, and also to signify that a magazine cutoff device is being employed and the rifle reloaded with single rounds while keeping the loaded magazine in reserve.......

coltpython
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by coltpython » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:09 pm

Hi

The garands here are mostly converted to manually operated repeaters

MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MoA » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:36 pm

Roy: The ARAKAAN/Burma campaign was run out of India. To the point at the end of the war, the US Army even left behind some Liberator bombers, which were found a few years later, refurbished and used by the Indian Air Force for quite some time.
:cheers:

ebraganza
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by ebraganza » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:45 am

How much would a U.S. Armoury Springfield M1 Garand cost ?

Rgds,
Edward

MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MoA » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:47 am

ebraganza wrote:How much would a U.S. Armoury Springfield M1 Garand cost ?

Rgds,
Edward
Given the classification of semi-auto's you could possibily buy one for under 1K. Those converted to single shot, manual repition weapons would possibly cost about 2-3K USD.

Vineet
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vineet » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:57 am

In India M1 Garand would cost around 2 lac rupees.

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:59 am

ebraganza wrote:How much would a U.S. Armoury Springfield M1 Garand cost ?

Rgds,
Edward
In the US, surplus M1 Garands purchased through the CMP (Civilian Marksmanship program) are priced as below:
http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/m1-garand/

However, one of the requirements is that you have to be a US citizen
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941