IOF 30-06 Rifle

Posts related to rifles.
.338 lapua
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: IOF 30-06 Rifle

Post by .338 lapua » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:45 pm

[Vikram,the best stock work I have seen so far has been from Bobby from Patiala]

wtp can you post the the entire image of the rifle,No doubt Mr Bobby siddhu has the expertise and a gunsmith as good as he would be most sought after here down south.Secondly as Katanaji explained it is up to an individual and how deep his pockets are to spend on reworking on a stock(customize a rifle.)shooter if you think there are no gunsmiths in our country who would make a rifle stock as per your requirement's you may be wrong,I would agree some(in fact many) might not be as educated and updated with the newer stock profiles that have come up,as with Mr Bobby siddhu who was again my first option,is much more updated and will understand one's requirement better in today's scenario.Its up to you how you explain the gunsmith to get it done if you have the dimensions you require and you have the time to do it,Its not rocket science to build a stock as required.
"India is the cradle of the human race, the birthplace of human speech, the mother of history, the grandmother of legend, and the great grand mother of tradition. Our most valuable and most astrictive materials in the history of man are treasured up in India only!"
MarkTwain

For Advertising mail webmaster
.338 lapua
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by .338 lapua » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:03 pm

wtp it will be a privilege if you could share the images of some if not all the rifles,shotguns,handguns...cannons ooops,it would really be an honor my friend.Let us see what modifications you have done so that I or may be some on IFG can utilize the craftsmanship you incorporated after a lot of research that might have actually gone into it.By the way I hope you are a gunsmith yourself so that I get a chance to meet you someday and get my rifle re-customized :cheers: .Really hope its not a "teen sau pandrah"
"India is the cradle of the human race, the birthplace of human speech, the mother of history, the grandmother of legend, and the great grand mother of tradition. Our most valuable and most astrictive materials in the history of man are treasured up in India only!"
MarkTwain

z375
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by z375 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:34 pm

Lapua,

Try out the rifle from a solid rest at a target at about 30 to 40 yards to see if it groups, it doesnt matter where its printing, it should hold consistently on paper. If it doesnt, no worries, it can be fixed, so no sweat 8)
"With solid bullets on heavy animals such as elephant, rhino and buffalo this power is quite apparent but is not so obvious as when soft-nose bullets are being used, say, lion, particularly when is a case of stopping a charge : the .404 will stop him all right, but will seldom crumple him quite so completely as will the .416" -- John Taylor, Big Game and Big Game Rifles, (Ch. IX)

.338 lapua
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by .338 lapua » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:38 pm

375 I am looking forward to test it soon,if there is a problem I will let you know.thank's buddy :D
MarkTwain

shooter50
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by shooter50 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:12 pm

This is what i meant by a classic stockImage
Cheers

sa_ali
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by sa_ali » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:34 pm

Lovely stock, what fantastic grain.

.338 lapua
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by .338 lapua » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:45 pm

Really beautiful,Is that IOF .30,anyways a very nice looking rifle shooter 50,I guess not the ammo looks like .300 win mag.
MarkTwain

amitmeerut
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by amitmeerut » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:38 pm

nice............

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:00 pm

Hi all,
I am taking delivery of my iof .30-06 on monday.
What things should one look out for when picking a rifle.
And secondly, what modifications should be made to turn the rifle into a big bore competition rifle?
And by mods, i dont mean the cosmetic stuff.
I have no idea about the first part of my query but regarding the second i was thinking of the following:
1. Get the bolt lapped.
2. Get the trigger worked upon and get it set to have a clean crisk break with no creep.
3. Get the barrel recrowned.
4. Remove the factory sights and install peep sights(dont know which ones)
5. Get an adjustable butt with a butt hook.
6. Get a long ventilated forearm with the handstop.
7. The reason for the long forearm is so that i can make the rifle slightly muzzle heavy and balance that out by adding weight at the rear. End result: less muzzle flip and less felt recoil.
8. I shall test the rifle first and see how accurate it is. If required glass bed the action.

Please feel free to chime in with your suggestions and ideas.
I am hoping to get her ready for the next big bore nationals.
Thanks in advance.
A
To Excellence through Diligence.

The Doc
Veteran
Veteran

Post by The Doc » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:15 pm

It's always better to have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it !

sainikji
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by sainikji » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:23 pm

Dear AB
Congarts in advance for your baby.

I am also in the process of buying a 30-06 for myself.

So can you please share the following information:
1. From which dealer in Delhi (presuming you are purchasing from Delhi) are you purchasing it?
2. The total price you are paying. i.e the invoice price and the premium, if any.
3. The model of the rifle i.e. 2011 or 2012?

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:14 pm

Doc, thanks for the links.
What about your ideas?
Sainik
I am picking up the rifle from the nrai.
Its a 2011 model.
Price is a tad less than 85,000
Cheers
To Excellence through Diligence.

rraju2805
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by rraju2805 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:56 pm

shooter50 wrote:This is what i meant by a classic stock[ Image ]
Cheers
beautiful rifle. . I like it.
YOU CAN FOOL SOME OF THE PEOPLE SOMETIME
BUT YOU CAN"T FOOL ALL OF THE PEOPLE ALL TIME

z375
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by z375 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:26 pm

Safarigent wrote:Hi all,
I am taking delivery of my iof .30-06 on monday.
To begin with, congratulations on a sound choice of rifle!
What things should one look out for when picking a rifle.
Well, since most of them i.e the IOF's are all out of the same mill, the usual stuff to look out for:
1. Smooth bolt (this is not a big deal even if it is raspy, if its slick to start with, it will take less elbow grease to get it right, there are a lot of little nooks and crannies which need a little TLC, once this is done correctly, the bolt feels like its riding on glass. The receiver should ideally not be touched with any abrasives or power tools.

2. Magazine should drop out easily and should chamber all stacked rounds easily, the dealer will lose his shirt if you ask for live ammo to check this!! Instead request for a few .30-06 snap caps, empty shells fired from another rifle will not chamber most of the time

Check the safety for proper function, with the rifle unloaded, cock the bolt and engage the safety...give it a few raps on the buttstock with your palm and on a hard surface like the floor, see it if goes off with the safety engaged do the same thing with the safety off, rifle should not go off.
And secondly, what modifications should be made to turn the rifle into a big bore competition rifle?
The sky's the limit here, I mean you can get a stock made, get a nice set of aperture sights, paint the gun, etc.
And by mods, i dont mean the cosmetic stuff.
For me, its performance over aesthetic appeal, if it looks good in the end, I consider it a bonus! Eye of the beholder! 8)
I have no idea about the first part of my query but regarding the second i was thinking of the following:
1. Get the bolt lapped.
Bad idea, like I said, using any abrasives on the receiver will wreak havoc over time, the receiver is only a close-fitting raceway for the bolt and it should be kept that way. Proper work done on the bolt and a few parts that remain in constant contact with it will improve the feel greatly. I will post a video of this sometime soon
2. Get the trigger worked upon and get it set to have a clean crisk break with no creep.
The triggers on these guns a superb from the word 'go'. The pull weight is adjusted via means of a screw located in the magazine well, ahead of the trigger guard, the screw located behind the trigger guard is for take up, since these are two-stage triggers, but can be made to behave like a single-stage if required. It will require a good clean-up, new spring roll pins, light use of good moly grease on the pivot points and rollers will make a big difference. Note, the triggers on these rifles are a complete unit and are alien compared to the usual stuff that we understand and work on and there are absolutely NO tutorials anywhere on the net for disassembly/assembly on the Sauer 202 triggers, let alone the IOF! Take pictures along every step of the way, if you run into big problems, we can sort them out later.
3. Get the barrel recrowned.
Good idea. Needs to be properly done though, you dont really require a lathe for this, but no harm in cutting the crown that way. Plenty of info on the web for this procedure.
4. Remove the factory sights and install peep sights(dont know which ones)
Entirely your choice, Warner, Zelenak, RPA, Lyman, Redfield, Centra, Gehmann..plenty of flavors. I personally use a Redfield Palma, its a good diopter set-up.
5. Get an adjustable butt with a butt hook.
Good idea
6. Get a long ventilated forearm with the handstop.

A good handstop is a life-saver, has to be installed right and requires a machined rail inletted into the underside of the forend, greatly reduces muscle fatigue and contributes towards overall stability.
7. The reason for the long forearm is so that i can make the rifle slightly muzzle heavy and balance that out by adding weight at the rear. End result: less muzzle flip and less felt recoil.
You can fashion a forend with a cavity up front for bolting up lead plates or anything that would add substantial weight, but remember, the heavier the set-up gets, the tougher it will be on your muscles for long periods of time.

. I shall test the rifle first and see how accurate it is. If required glass bed the action.

Ha! now this is not an easy gun to glass, trying to imagine the way the epoxy will behave once everything is bolted up is a nightmare! There are two ways to do this, one is relatively easy, i.e if you have done a few glass beds before, the other involves a lot of meticulous planning and extra careful preparation, but produces incredible results. I took the rocky path and ended up a happy camper! :mrgreen:
Please feel free to chime in with your suggestions and ideas.
I am hoping to get her ready for the next big bore nationals.
Looking forward to seeing you there!
"With solid bullets on heavy animals such as elephant, rhino and buffalo this power is quite apparent but is not so obvious as when soft-nose bullets are being used, say, lion, particularly when is a case of stopping a charge : the .404 will stop him all right, but will seldom crumple him quite so completely as will the .416" -- John Taylor, Big Game and Big Game Rifles, (Ch. IX)

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:25 pm

Zubin,

You are a star.Seriously. :cheers:

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."