sights for 450/400 Jefferey FAO-Mark and Grumpy

Posts related to rifles.
Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Re: sights for 450/400 Jefferey FAO-Mark and Grumpy

Post by Mark » Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:54 pm

I got the barrel because it was screwed into a 1904 Oberndorf action. I'll let it be someone elses project.

And you're right, the gun I grab most when things need to be sorted out is my M70 in '06 (I think it is a law here). Shoots great and kills whatever it is pointed at. A few years ago we had a racoon problem around here and I must have shot 50 of those guys that fall and winter. Most all of them with the '06 and 180 grain bullets.

For Advertising mail webmaster
penpusher

Post by penpusher » Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:23 am

Asif,

Maybe this might help,

http://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/

Take care,
penpusher

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:46 am

Mark,

Photobucket is down at the moment but I will put up a few pics later on.

They aren't close-up's though.

Mack The Knife

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:11 am

Good point penpusher - I`d completely forgotten about the Recknagel Express sights. I don`t know if the leaves are available separately as the bases are hardly `traditional` in style.
A 30-06 seems plenty of gun for shooting Racoons.......What was that - 200 yard shooting off your deck Mark ? A leisurely hunt.......cup of coffee to hand, lunch brought out to you, maybe a beer or two........
Racoons seem prone to population explosions: A few years ago there were plenty at my brother-in-laws place in Westchester, NY. Now there are none as they`ve succumbed to rabies.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:26 am

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:31 am

Asif,

Could you ask Dr. Sripad to bring back two bottles of G96 Gun Blue Creme and a G96 Gun Blue Stick. Will need it for the Jeffery and a couple of guns that need re-bluing.

http://www.g96.com/miva/merchant.mv?Scr ... e=Gun+Blue

Will pay him in Indian Rupees if he does not mind.

Mack The Knife

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:37 am

Grumpy";p="2996 wrote:Good point penpusher - I`d completely forgotten about the Recknagel Express sights. I don`t know if the leaves are available separately as the bases are hardly `traditional` in style.
A 30-06 seems plenty of gun for shooting Racoons.......What was that - 200 yard shooting off your deck Mark ? A leisurely hunt.......cup of coffee to hand, lunch brought out to you, maybe a beer or two........
Racoons seem prone to population explosions: A few years ago there were plenty at my brother-in-laws place in Westchester, NY. Now there are none as they`ve succumbed to rabies.
What happened was they would be anywhere from 40 to 120 yards (I had a deer feeder on the hillside behind my house that was 120 yards, and there is a pond right next to my house they would drink from) so I'd stroll out there usually around 1 AM and more often than not some racoons would be at one or both locations. At the time, the '06 was the only gun I had capable of killing coons reliably at 120 yards, I have a 22 magnum but that is right at the far end of reliable killing range for that gun. I had loaded up several hundred rounds of 180 gr Sierra Game Kings, they shoot very well in that gun, so that was what I would use since it is a sub-MOA load for it.

Since then I built a wildcat, (a 20 Tactical which is a 223 necked down to 20, this was a year or so before they came out with the 204 Ruger) specifically for dealing with those darn racoons. It doesn't wake up my wife nearly as much when I touch it off at 1 AM!

That gun has a Shilen SS Barrel, Hogue stock with full aluminum bedding block, Rem 700 action, and I finished it with KG Gunkote in matte black.

Nice shooting gun.

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:44 am

I should think that the .20 Tactical is even more accurate - with the combination of barrel, action, stock and calibre you ought to be able to shoot a gnats nuts off at 120 yards !

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:00 pm

Asif,

I am no expert in this but seems like there is only sufficient space for a single leaf or one standing and one folding leaf sight.

Take care,
penpusher

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:25 pm

will try very hard Mack The Knife, not enough time!
else will get thru next person coming.
Axx
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:17 pm

Mack The Knife,

Unfortunately for all the red tape, I see a Brownells order in your future!

I looked through my stuff and unfortunately I have nothing appropriate for you. Someone mentioned New England Custom Guns as a source, and I agree they have a good matchup for your gun here.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ ... RESS+SIGHT

Also, in regards to cold gun blues I'd like to recommend a couple of products for you. Brownells sells 2 of the best cold gun blues- "Oxpho-Blue" and "Dicropan T4". These are the best cold blues I have found, and I've used quite a few over the years.

Oxpho Blue gives the most durable finish, it wears extremely well. However, it has more of a gray tint to it and it's a personal thing but I find it slightly bothersome. T4 gives the best looking finish. What I do is use both of them, one right after the other. Use Oxpho Blue first to protect everything, then apply T4 to get the color how you want it.

After the gun is looking satisfactory, wipe it off with solvent (I use acetone or denatured alcohol) and heat it up with a hairdryer or heat gun, and rub ATF (automotive transmission fluid) into the hot metal (hot to the touch, maybe 120-130 degrees F). Do this until the barrel cools off, then let sit for a few hours and repeat. The oil will absorb a bit into the pores and will protect the gun for quite a while (at least here in the midwest, no guarantees for India! :lol: )

Now, after having said all of that, a fine rifle such as this really needs to be rust blued! There are commercial preparations for that but I can also post some recipes that you can make up yourself, but to do a proper rust blue is a lot of labor including surface preparation so you may want to do the cold blue and a proper rust blue in the future when time permits <G>..

Actually, on this subject I am planning to rust blue the barrel and cylinder of a "cap & ball" black powder revolver in the next few weeks. I'd be glad to post pictures of the process.

Oh, some links to the bluing stuff:

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ ... PAN+T-4%7e

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ ... HO-BLUE%7e

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:16 pm

Mark,

I have ordered both Oxpho Blue and 44/40 from Brownells and wasn't impressed with either - particularly after reading the sales spiel.

I have had this one stick of G96 for a few years now and I have found it to be very effective.

However, I will try (they wont post it) and get some Oxpho Blue and Dicropan T4 and try out your suggestion.

At one point of time I did consider getting a bluing tank but Brownell's prices put me off. If you have some recipes and methods of doing a hot blue, I would be very interested in learning about them.

Thanks a ton, for ferreting out an appropriate rear sight. Asif, the balls in your court now.

Mack The Knife

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:21 am

Mark, Mack The Knife,
Have ordered Oxphoblue and T4. Will order the leaf sights after we measure the slot.No hurry, as its too late for my friend to bring them , he will try for the g96 etc tomorrow-before a hol, we typically end up putting a couple of extra tours which come in handy later , so he's probably stuck in that!
maybe the cold rust by Jan?
Yes Mark, pl do post recipes for hot bluing too.
Thanks
Axx
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:54 am

Wouldn't cold rust blue be more appropriate for this rifle than hot blue . Also no bluing tank would be required, though it would take longer than hot blue. Mack The Knife might need to build a humidity box , depending on the weather. This might help if you decide to rust blue:-

http://www.winrest.com/blueinstructions.html

http://www.finishing.com/4400-4599/4469.shtml

Take care,
penpusher

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:28 am

Mack The Knife and I had a discussion about Oxpho Blue a few months ago and both agreed that although definitely the most durable cold blue its` colour is unacceptable. It`s never occurred to me that you could `layer` cold blues..........velly intelesting.
penpusher, I`m mystified as to why you think that cold bluing would be more appropriate for this rifle ?