Handguns: Do you carry at home??

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Handguns: Do you carry at home??

Post by timmy » Fri May 07, 2010 4:35 am

On children:

My kids didn't do any of those things when they were young, but from the beginning, they were exposed to my firearms. Many an afternoon, I came back from the range with a number of fired rifles and handguns, and cleaned them in the living room. Parts and disassembled weapons would be scattered about, in various stages of maintenance. My 4 kids, from the earliest age, were all taught to never touch any weapon without first asking and receiving permission.

In the whole time my kids lived at home, there was only one instance of transgression: I stepped out of my bedroom to see my younger son, who was about nine, staring intently at a .22 rifle in a corner. After a bit, he turned and noticed I was watching him. He turned back to the rifle and pointed his index finger and moved to the rifle, and turned and watched me. I didn't move. Then, he just barely touched the rifle and pulled his finger away.

At this point, I told him to go get the stick and justice for his infraction was quickly administered. They all were taught that guns are a lot of fun, but dangerous if misused. There were strict guidelines to be observed, which were rigorously enforced on this, the only occasion any trouble ever occurred.

Far be it from me to tell anyone else how to raise their children. In my old age, I have learned the hard way that each individual is just that: an iindividual, and what works for one or one family may not work very well in another situation. So I only mention this to relate my experience, not as advice or as an effort to tell anyone else what they should do or how they should do it.

On the 1911, if it is loaded (I don't store it loaded), I have a full magazine with a round in the chamber, hammer down. It takes only an instant for me to thumb the hammer back. This instant may well have a price, I realize. That price I am willing to pay for the safety and peace of mind it affords me.

However, I've found this issue of magazine springs and cocked & loaded to be the primary reason for my Detective Special: A DA revolver simply doesn't have this problem. It can be kept loaded and ready to use indefinitely, with assurance it will go BANG when called upon. I do prefer semi-auto handguns, but in my case, a DA revolver fulfills this role better than any semi-auto. (in my opinion, of course!)
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman