Practical 'Transfer of residence' Handgun

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
raj.chaudhuri
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Practical 'Transfer of residence' Handgun

Post by raj.chaudhuri » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:09 am

Hi,
I'm here for the first time. Please let me know if I bring a handgun (pistol/revolver) back to India under 'Transfer of residence', what would be the practical choice - based on caliber, durability and service as this could be done only once in a lifetime ? I'm thinking about either Sig Sauer P232 or Beretta 81FS Cheetah, both in .32 ACP. Please advise and thanks in anticipation.
With regards,
Raj Chaudhuri

For Advertising mail webmaster
Drunknhappy
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Re: Practical 'Transfer of residence' Handgun

Post by Drunknhappy » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:10 am

They are both great guns considering the easy access to ammo. As for me I am a fan of larger cal pistols. As I visit the US every 2 months I can shoot in the US and save my ammo in India. By the way where are you from ??

MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MoA » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:13 am

A .357 is always good and in demand. Anything in .32 is easy to get ammo for as well.

raj.chaudhuri
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by raj.chaudhuri » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:37 am

Hi Friends,
Thanks for your kind replies. I'm from Stockholm, Sweden. Waiting for more info.
Regards,
Raj

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:36 am

please check out the legal section as we already have a very healthy thread running there. so no need to start a new one.

regards
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

Amit357
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Amit357 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:01 pm

Hi Raj,like MoA said,get a .357 Mag,see if you can get a Desert Eagle there,the one with a spare barrel,you can get the ammo here its a bit expensive but in comparision to 32 imported ammo the diffrence isnt much.I am sure you wont be using KF ammo in your SIG/Beretta,so its not much. A 357 Mag with a longer spare barrel is not a handgun its a bloody Rifle.All the best,Amit :cheers:

brijendra
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by brijendra » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:23 pm

go for sig pistol ...rest for the legal part check the legal section :cheers:
DARWIN said " survival of the fittest "
I say " survival of the armed ones "

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:22 pm

Practical pistol on TR

If you want a pistol get one in .380 ACP .Ammo is available though a bit pricey.Considering that you are going to be limited to max 50 in a year,that is not a problem.If you have the option of getting a pistol in .32 or in .380 I would go with the .380.

If you are looking at getting a revolver get one in .327.

The Doc
Veteran
Veteran

Post by The Doc » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:21 pm

Raj Chaudhuri ,

If I were you , I would listen to winnie_the_pooh . :)

good luck,

Rp.
It's always better to have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it !

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:51 am

Ruger in .327 Federal Mag. You have the option of three cartridges .327 Fed Mag,.32 H&R Mag and .32 S&W Long.I am sure it would be able to fire the .32 S&W as well.

[youtube][/youtube]

In case of a pistol I would try to get the Glock Model 25 in .380 ACP (get at least three mags)

[youtube][/youtube]

Have no idea if any of them are available in Sweden

As far as getting a .357 mag revolver is concerned,ammo is hard to get and when you do get it,the price is going to hurt your pocket at Rs.400-600/- a pop

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:14 am

I like Winnie idea of the Ruger in .327 mag. Very versatile.

Since you're in Europe, another neat little pistol to consider is Walther's new PK380 in .380 auto.
They are also reasonably priced.

photo from S&W's website
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MoA » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:20 pm

Raj,

Keep in mind that you need to have owned the weapon for a year prior to bringing it under TR if I remember correctly. Also given that you are Sweden, you might find buying a gun a little difficult. At the very least you need to join a shooting club. I am not intimately familliar with the law in Sweden, but my suspicion is that the process of acquiring a license might be time consuming though simple.

I know that in a number of EU countries you need to display proficiency over a six month period before a pistol license will be issued. But thankfully you're not in the UK where Pistols are banned and the UK Shooting team actually has to practise in France or Belgium.

raj.chaudhuri
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by raj.chaudhuri » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:33 pm

Thanks a lot guys for all your responses. My best wishes to you all.

-- Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:17 pm --

Since one can only import one gun in his lifetime as 'transfer of residence', do you think it's a good idea to buy a polymer frame gun ? I personally think a stainless steel pistol or revolver will serve better than a polymer one on durability count. Another thing I would like to know which one is easily repairable in India - pistols or revolvers ? Friends , what do you say? Best wishes...

grewal
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by grewal » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:01 pm

raj.chaudhuri wrote:Another thing I would like to know which one is easily repairable in India - pistols or revolvers ? Friends , what do you say? Best wishes...
With state of the art Jugaad Technology available in India , repairing wont be a problem. :D
Grewal

I'd rather be riding my bike and thinking bout god than sitting in a temple and thinking bout my bike