difference b/w original & duplicate

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
brijendra
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

difference b/w original & duplicate

Post by brijendra » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:39 am

how does one tell the differrence b/w original handgun and a duplicate or locally manc. one with international brand name ? as by exterior both look the same ! and a common man are often fooled by these gun sellers ...e.g. the most copied brand is beretta pistols ....how does one make out the differrence by naked eye ?
DARWIN said " survival of the fittest "
I say " survival of the armed ones "

For Advertising mail webmaster
grewal
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: difference b/w original & duplicate

Post by grewal » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:24 pm

brijendra wrote:as by exterior both look the same ! and a common man are often fooled by these gun sellers

Brijendra ,
they seem to look alike but when you compare a fake with the original you will find the difference in quality and prominent markings on original . and above all one should sort an expert's advice before spending ones hard earned money. And there a so many esteemed members on this forum on whom we should rely for their valued advice .

Prabhdeep Grewal

weapon247
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by weapon247 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:37 am

Well technology wise the fake is catching up fast with the original!!

People have invested in tooling like CNC, laser etching its getting really tough to differentiate!!

I had a look at a smith & Wesson Sigma 9mm pistol (fake) and couldn't recognize it in first glance!! same polymer frame and slide!! :shock:

A thorough look inside confused me even more as the machining was superb and the barrel chromed!! :shock: :shock:

the only thing that made it stood out was the serial marks!! (bit flimsy done thats all!!)

even the magazines were of very high quality all this for 1/4th of the original price!!

-- Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:10 pm --

one thing because of the insanely high prices of imported weapons in india the incentive for producing fake is even greater!!

pardon my ignorance but has India got a home based industry for producing fakes or are the fakes sourced from somewhere else?

lionheartguru
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by lionheartguru » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:45 pm

try to fire a few rounds and you will come to know it from the recoil !
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

weapon247
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by weapon247 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:56 pm

lionheartguru wrote:try to fire a few rounds and you will come to know it from the recoil !
I really dont think that would tell you anything apart from if the firing pin breaks (after firing a few magazines or maybe its your lucky day and it might fail after a few rounds!! as seldom heat treated!!) or the barrel blows :wink:

You would need to take someone expert

buy from a trusted source!!

if your getting something cheap beware!!!
INCENTIVE INCENTIVE bring down the prices and the fake will disappear in thin air!!!

brijendra
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by brijendra » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:33 pm

grewal wrote:
brijendra wrote:as by exterior both look the same ! and a common man are often fooled by these gun sellers

Brijendra ,
they seem to look alike but when you compare a fake with the original you will find the difference in quality and prominent markings on original . and above all one should sort an expert's advice before spending ones hard earned money. And there a so many esteemed members on this forum on whom we should rely for their valued advice .

Prabhdeep Grewal
by the time we take advice , the gun is gone what im talking about is on spot inspection .. thanks for rest of the info..

brijendra
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by brijendra » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:44 am

is there a serial no. written inside the butt of the handgun , which can be matched with the one written on top of it ...

Amit357
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Amit357 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:36 pm

Hi Brijendra,some manufacturers do etch the sr. no on many diffrent places,i have seen handguns with sr nos on the cylinder and on the base of the gun,some just etch the sr.no on the body.Best way i have to find out about the origin of the gun is mail the manufacturer regarding the Serrial number and caliber of the weapon, if its a reputed maker they will surely get back to you.
Some dealer was gonna pass a S/W 38 Special as a 357 Magnum to my friend,{ which is a done thing nowadays here,ingenious little rascals are these Dealers} we mailed S/W regarding the details and they mailed us back with the complete details of the gun.Thats my formula for not being cheated.Normally websites of the maker of the firearm if studied carefully give you the greater picture,but mail them,unlike our IOF and local gunmaker,the maker of imported weapons take pride in their products and are very prompt with replies :cheers:
PS; an ill made firearm can and does cause a lot of grief,its not just that you are cheated finacially but it is also dangerous to your well being

grewal
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by grewal » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:43 pm

brijendra wrote:by the time we take advice , the gun is gone what im talking about is on spot inspection
I don't think that second hand gun market is in such an overdrive , considering the scale of the price of the imported weapons.

Grewal
Grewal

I'd rather be riding my bike and thinking bout god than sitting in a temple and thinking bout my bike

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:45 pm

This is a problem peculiar only to our country where near on 2 generations have been denied gun usage/knowledge.
While countries like Pakistan have clever , techno savvy gun fakers, with (I believe) a high technology back up, our fakers are limited to crudish copies of Stars and other spanish autos, and ofcourse, revolvers. I read that there is a very active fake gun industry, and the fakes are obviously machine made and probably brought into India for sale.
While asking for pedigree of a gun from the manufacturer is the best form of proof, I would look for
1.Runny, faded , ASYMMETRICAL STAMPED manufacturer details-misaligned names, what looks like hand engraved names-its cheaper to get names inscribed by hand in India-most Jewellers would have a couple of metal artists experienced in metal carving, engraving by hand...use a big magnifying glass.
2.SMELL-the gun. Some local blues are strongly ammoniacal and when you put your nose to the metal and smell, a fresh/raw ammonia smell-has been reblued in the not so distant past.
3.Check-internet is accessible to most-google for specific model no or names

Ask- an experienced owner
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:53 am

There was a Swedish gun you can look up the pictures on a thread here which seemed pretty well crafted. India does have a good cottage industry but no doubt Pakistan pistols are really well made / cloned saw some great Beretta 92F replicas pictures and as weapon247 points out. Years ago saw a Webley type revolver which had either Webley stamped on one side and colt on other side something like it..so it was a great gun right :roll: . Maybe IOF can learn from these artisans the trick of the trade :twisted: . Best thing always is taking ones time seeking advise from experts and not get rushed into a decision or simply pick up IOF guns atleast they are known quantity. This is a gun and one should be sure about it.

weapon 247 maybe one of these days Indian folks could go across and shoot some PB guns and while folks from the other side could enjoy some liquid PB on the other side of the border i.e. prohibited brew :cheers: ( this definition is copied from Pakgun forum LOL).

Best

weapon247
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by weapon247 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:17 pm

ngrewal wrote:There was a Swedish gun you can look up the pictures on a thread here which seemed pretty well crafted. India does have a good cottage industry but no doubt Pakistan pistols are really well made / cloned saw some great Beretta 92F replicas pictures and as weapon247 points out. Years ago saw a Webley type revolver which had either Webley stamped on one side and colt on other side something like it..so it was a great gun right :roll: . Maybe IOF can learn from these artisans the trick of the trade :twisted: . Best thing always is taking ones time seeking advise from experts and not get rushed into a decision or simply pick up IOF guns atleast they are known quantity. This is a gun and one should be sure about it.

weapon 247 maybe one of these days Indian folks could go across and shoot some PB guns and while folks from the other side could enjoy some liquid PB on the other side of the border i.e. prohibited brew :cheers: ( this definition is copied from Pakgun forum LOL).

Best
lol Sir your more then welcome to try our PB guns [AK47,74, M16 etc] as 9mm is a NPB here!! :D 9mm 45acp are npbs and we shoot a lot of them just for the sake of sports!!

jokes apart I hope a day comes when there is no animosity and we can shoot for sport and fun only!

About the brew well if you want it you can get it here no problems!!

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:31 pm

the best way to tell the difference is to know the pukka item in fine details. failing that seek advice. as there is no other way.
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:07 am

weapon247 wrote:
ngrewal wrote: lol Sir your more then welcome to try our PB guns [AK47,74, M16 etc] as 9mm is a NPB here!! :D 9mm 45acp are npbs and we shoot a lot of them just for the sake of sports!!

jokes apart I hope a day comes when there is no animosity and we can shoot for sport and fun only!

About the brew well if you want it you can get it here no problems!!
Weapon247
Agree hopefully those days of sauntering over across the border are around the corner way too many benefits if that happens..as far as PB ( meant the guns LOL) bad guys have access to anything and everything its the lay person who rights are being curtailed first hurdle is getting a license and then the cost of guns/ammo is prohibitive -- case of haves and have nots..

Do post often especially on the new guns in the market on your side

Cheers

weapon247
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by weapon247 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:21 pm

@ngrewal lets hope so!

on our side the laws are lenient as compared to yours but I agree the BGs have access to everything imaginable and its the civilians that have 2 face the brunt of so called tightening laws!! :D

before I joined here I used to compare ammo and gun prices with US etc and fret a lot but now I am more then contended to pay up when I look at your prices...

Almost any Turkish/Chinese/Brazilian and to a certain extent Russian gun that come along is imported in a few months time in Pakistan.. other nation guns although available are premium priced

will soon post pics of Russian Baikal semi auto 12G shotgun [as i plan to buy that in a few days time] as I have got myself addicted to Trap n Skeet..

used one of my mates and I tell you that shotgun is made like a tank!!