IOF .22 revolver

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
kedarmarkale
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Re: IOF .22 revolver

Post by kedarmarkale » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:21 am

Hiii aadhaulya grinding of chambers is not advisable as it will weaken the steel incerts and may cause premature failure...... also the grinding if not done perfectly will hamper functioning and any misalignment can cause accidents how ever if u still go ahead with it please do let me know the results

For Advertising mail webmaster
TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:55 pm

aadhaulya wrote:I am booking a Pistol from IOF. In the mean time I have also bought a .22 Revolver two days ago and fired about 25 rounds. I have used Winchester and Indian ammo. There is no problem with the Winchester ammo and no problem in firing 1,2 or 3 indian rounds. But firing 4 or more indian rounds in one go jams the ejector and each shell has to be hammered out using a cleaning rod.
Being an Automobile guy, I am making a 'reaming rod' sort of contraption, in stainless steel and plan to grind the chambers using Engine valve grinding pastes. After doing that I may solve the ejection problem or may be screw up the revolver.
Hoping for the best....
Honestly speaking you should not try doing anything on your own. This gun was not meant for KF ammo right from its birth. However if you still want to go ahead then in my opinion you could try polishing the chambers very lightly with a right sized reamer. Do it by hand, NOT a drill, not even in low speed. Use grinding paste in very small quantity. Since the material is aluminum alloy the paste will work much faster. The idea is to polish the insides of the chambers (only up to the length of the case from the top) just to the desired requirement and not increase the diameter of the chambers. Or else all ammo will sit loosely/ the gun will get screwed.
Remember the Indian soft copper cases swell (especially if they are old) to a much greater extent on firing than British or American ammo in steel and brass cases. Hence the KF cases get stuck and the others don't. A little polishing may solve the problem. Or it may not.

TC

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:03 am

Thanks Kedarmarkale and TC, for your suggestions. I have used a 5mm reamer that is roughly 0.5mm smaller than the bore and used a very fine grinding paste besides grinding it very lightly by hand.
Now there seems to be an improvement, after firing 8 rounds only 3 particular chambers get jammed. Once i hammer out the casing from those three chambers the others work fine.
Today being a Sunday I plan to use rubbing polish vigorously but by had only. This polish is used on painted surfaces for cutting the final coat of paint to give a smooth finish to the surface. Will post the results soon as I have to arrange for cartridges (used up 50 of them in my experiments).

toughsurvivor
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by toughsurvivor » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:58 pm

yes , i do agree on the advice to buy a .22 cal rifle instead of iof revolver. my friend owns a .22 cal iof revolver and he is always complaining about the revolver. i don't know why we don't have good choices in .22 cal category(actually in any calibre categories be it a handgun /rifles or shotguns) . in handguns only a iof revolver is available which has god knows how many issues. no pistol is available in this category. revolver is far below international standards in quality. can't we have some thing like Ruger mark 3 or 22/45.S & W 22A,Bersa thunder .22lr, or something like these.

tarzanboy73
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by tarzanboy73 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:11 am

In case anyone remembers me.....I have just taken posession of a .38 Colt...NSP issue. :D

Can some one with an NSP weapon on this forum PM me please. NDA/80

Also can anyone guide me to a good gun smith in Mumbai where I can get some maintenance done on the revolver.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tarzanboy73
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by tarzanboy73 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:48 pm

ngrewal wrote:Tarzanboy

Thats a good decision now its pistol vs revolver?

If the .22 was a safe and unrelibale gun then those 8 shots justify the choice but on flip side who wants a lemon on hands or a la 'Loose' gun.

Do turn in the papers for your PG gun but cant you buy one from a dealer they should be cheap compared to others?

Its alright regarding the officer I saw his photograph on another forum.

Best
Just in case any of the fine people whom I chatted with years ago are still around...

I got my NSP. . 38 Colt...

Old but still works....

Hooyah!!!

shadowring
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by shadowring » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:33 pm

Congratulations! I hope u didn't have to pay too much for it
“Never mistake motion for action.”

mhksmk
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by mhksmk » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:56 pm

How much you paid?

andy_65_in
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by andy_65_in » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:40 am

whats the latest cost of IOF 22 revolver

tamancha
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by tamancha » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:53 am

goodboy_mentor wrote:You cannot fire high velocity .22 lr cartridges through this aluminum bodied .22 IOF revolver. The aluminum chamber will burst. If you can get chamber of .22 IOF revolver made in steel from a good gunsmith that should solve the problem. But it will cost you money. Other than this aluminum bodied IOF .22 revolver other products of IOF are comparatively better. But still there is a lot of room for improvement in all of IOF products.
Hi good boy,
Is it legal to get chambers made with 4140/4150 steel from a local gunsmith. Kindly profess your valuable information.
Thanks.

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:53 pm

tamancha wrote:Is it legal to get chambers made with 4140/4150 steel from a local gunsmith. Kindly profess your valuable information.
Thanks.
If the license of gunsmith allows repairing handguns, it should not be an issue.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

mhksmk
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by mhksmk » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:54 am

tamancha wrote:
goodboy_mentor wrote:You cannot fire high velocity .22 lr cartridges through this aluminum bodied .22 IOF revolver. The aluminum chamber will burst. If you can get chamber of .22 IOF revolver made in steel from a good gunsmith that should solve the problem. But it will cost you money. Other than this aluminum bodied IOF .22 revolver other products of IOF are comparatively better. But still there is a lot of room for improvement in all of IOF products.
Hi good boy,
Is it legal to get chambers made with 4140/4150 steel from a local gunsmith. Kindly profess your valuable information.
Thanks.
It's certainly not legal.

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:24 pm

mhksmk wrote:It's certainly not legal.
What makes it not legal to do repairs that make improvements or enhance safety of the product?
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

mhksmk
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by mhksmk » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:48 pm

goodboy_mentor wrote:
What makes it not legal to do repairs that make improvements or enhance safety of the product?
Read the Act & Rules you'll have proper insight

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:25 pm

mhksmk wrote:
goodboy_mentor wrote:
Read the Act & Rules you'll have proper insight
Rule 21(1) of Arms Rules 1962 is quoted below -
Where a license is granted in Form IX or Form XI for conversion or repair, but not manufacture, of any category of firearms or ammunition, it entitles the licensee to fabricate components or parts for the purpose of conversion or repair of such firearms or ammunition but not to manufacture such components or parts to be utilised for assembling into complete firearms or ammunition of any category which he is not allowed to manufacture.
Please enlighten the forum referring specific provisions of Arms Act or it's Rules that make it illegal for gunsmith licensed to do repairs/ conversions that make improvements, enhance safety or reliability of the product.