Practice shooting at the backyard

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
Nirvan
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Practice shooting at the backyard

Post by Nirvan » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:41 pm

How much size will be convenient for practising shooting in the backyard ? Please give some tips on it .

For Advertising mail webmaster
hamiclar01
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Practice shooting at the backyard

Post by hamiclar01 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:34 am

could you clarify:
are you planning to shoot a licensed handgun in the backyard of your house? (i would advise you against it strongly!!!!!)
how much space do you have?
how far are the neighbours?
are the sides covered?
does it have a strong backstop?
how are you planning to deal with the noise?
"Stan, don't you know the first law of physics? Anything that's fun costs at least eight dollars."

MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MoA » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:53 am

If your backyard is a thousand acres... go for it. If it is 25 sq meters, bad idea.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:09 am

There are laws against discharging a firearm within the limits of a town/city etc. Very unwise in every sense to pursue that practice.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Nirvan
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Nirvan » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:08 am

So if you want to shoot whenever you want to , its not possible . Say if you dig a pit of 50 feet by 100 feet and practice in it ?

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:03 am

Nirvan wrote:So if you want to shoot whenever you want to , its not possible . Say if you dig a pit of 50 feet by 100 feet and practice in it ?

What is it that you are planning to shoot?If it's a firearm,doesn't matter how you shoot it,as long as you do not have a permission,you cannot discharge it with in town/city limits.Self-defence situations excluding,of course.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:14 am

Nirvan wrote: Say if you dig a pit of 50 feet by 100 feet and practice in it ?
1. Underground pit which is 8ft deep, 12 feet width is more than sufficient and if you wish to practice only handgun, then 100 ft is okay.
2. It is important to cover the shooter's area with a roof, and the flooring section, 12ft x 15 ft. approx, with a layer of cement. This platform may be raised to a height of 1 ft, with a slight slope to drain the water.
3. It is extremely important to put transverse baffles, to prevent any bullet to leave the shooting range, accidentally.
4. With an underground range, and a roof, the noise is reduced by almost 40%.
If you need a rough design of baffles etc. please let me know, further, I may have a few more questions,for ensuring your safety.
5. Remember, you will have to obtain a NOC from the local police station, even for an underground shooting range such as the one described above. For fully covered indoor range for PRIVATE USE ONLY, such a permission is not required, a simple letter, informing them is sufficient.
6. I can offer you a design (free of cost of course) which will be 1/10th cost of the underground pit/range, that is if you are interested.
Regards

Nirvan
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Nirvan » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:13 am

Dear hvj1 ,
Thanks a lot . So minimum width of 12 feet by 15 feet length and depth of 8 feet is sufficient . Please help me , I have a farm house some 40 Kms away from the town , I think I can practice every time I go there which I do almost every week . Otherwise whats the use of keeping a handgun without practicing it . Help me on how to convert my existing basement into a place for practicing shooting also .
Thanks,
Regards,
Nirvan

hamiclar01
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by hamiclar01 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:46 am

Nirvan wrote:I have a farm house some 40 Kms away from the town , I think I can practice every time I go there which I do almost every week . Otherwise whats the use of keeping a handgun without practicing it .
look at the title of your post. you never mentioned a farmhouse.

a number of us regularly shoot in farmhouses with adequate safety precautions.

also, try joining a local rifle association/range to avail of their facilities.
"Stan, don't you know the first law of physics? Anything that's fun costs at least eight dollars."

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:26 pm

Nirvan
Please give me the dimensions of your existing basement, and have no worries pardner, we will get your range up and runing!
Regards

Nirvan
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Nirvan » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:06 pm

Breadth X Height X Length of my basement would be 12' X 9' X 20 ' . I would like to know about doing it in my farmhouse . I have a pit there of probably the dimension of 14 feet by 20 feet and the depth must be 7 feet .

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:35 pm

height and width are ok for basement and pit but length is too short in my opinion. However if you are happy with that and just wish to practice for self defence alone, then I suppose you can make do.