The Art of the Double Tap

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
m24
Veteran
Veteran

The Art of the Double Tap

Post by m24 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:13 pm

Source: http://www.americanrifleman.org/Article ... 18&id=2052

This self-defense staple is easily understood, but harder to master.

The double tap—two individually sighted shots fired in rapid succession—has become a staple in defensive and offensive firearms training around the world. However, every instructor has his or her own take on the prudence and technique of the double tap.

Even the history of the double tap is debated. Some credit the technique to Col. Charles “Chargin’ Charlie” Beckwith, founder of the Army’s Delta Force in 1977, while most agree the technique was actually taught nearly 50 years earlier by William Ewart Fairbairn and Eric Anthony Sykes, British police chiefs in Shanghai, China, during the 1930s. Fairbairn and Sykes continued teaching the method in the British Special Operations Executive training school in the mid-1940s.

Beckwith could have learned the technique from the British while he served as an exchange officer with the British Special Air Service around 1960 and then implemented it into the training regimen of his Delta Force.

Defining a Double Tap
The double tap is easily understood, but harder to master. As with most fundamentals of shooting, it requires time on the range.

A double tap consists of two individually sighted shots fired in rapid succession striking in close proximity on a target. The two shots should strike within two to five inches of each other, doubling hydrostatic shock and compounding wound channels, trauma and potential to stop the attack.

The double tap is different from the hammer, which in shooting vernacular, consists of firing two shots with one sight picture or one sighted shot and one shot using a flash sight picture. The hammer is a common technique used to decrease split times on short-distance targets in competition and self defense, but to be effective in stopping an actual threat while reducing the chance of an errant bullet striking a bystander or loved one, the second shot must be placed accurately. This requires employing sights for both shots, particularly beyond contact ranges (seven yards and farther).

Develop Your Skills
As with all shooting disciplines, the double tap must be practiced to build technique, confidence and the gross motor skills required to perform under pressure. It takes time and ammunition to learn to rebound from recoil quickly enough to conduct a second “tap.” Begin by quickly firing two aimed shots at a target with a safe background. Be sure to use the sights for both shots keeping the majority of focus on the front sight. Continue until you can consistently put two shots within 5 inches of one another in one to two seconds.

From there, start practicing with the gun at the low ready position and again fire two aimed shots until you can consistently put two shots into the target in the same time frame. At this point, you’re ready to practice the double tap from the holster. However, be sure to occasionally run back through the basics, including the basic fundamentals of:

Stance: Feet should be shoulder width apart, knees slightly bent, with the upper body leaning forward into the shot.

Grip: Massad Ayoob, renowned firearms instructor and founder of the Lethal Force Institute, suggests a high, hard grip for greater control on recoil. He writes, “How hard do you hold the handgun? As hard as you can.”

Aiming: Align the front sight with the rear sight and the target, with your focus on the front sight. For rapid fire, track the sights during recoil to speed up sight realignment.

Trigger Squeeze: Should be a smooth, fluid motion with the exact moment of discharge as a surprise, even in self-defense situations.

Follow Through: Keep your fundamentals such as stance, grip and aim consistent every time you shoot, and training will take over when you’re under pressure.

Why not a Triple Tap?
Some opponents of a two-shot response say you should continue to shoot until the threat stops: It might take one shot; it might take nine. Depending on the assailant and any contributing factors to aggression and increased threshold to trauma such as drugs, adrenaline or psychological motivation, this may well be true.

Constant evaluation of the surroundings, condition of the bad guy and the momentum of the attack is critical in a defensive use of force. Once the attack has stopped, so must you. If the attacker continues the fight, then you must continue with the proper response.

But an initial response of two shots followed by a quick situational evaluation seems to be a reasonable and defendable technique in responding to a threat and has been proven reliable in civilian, military and law enforcement encounters. Because these days, after defending your life from attack, you have to defend your actions to the world.
Jeff Cooper advocated four basic rules of gun safety:
1) All guns are always loaded. Even if they are not, treat them as if they are.
2) Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
3) Keep your finger off the trigger till your sights are on the target.
4) Identify your target, and what is behind it.

For Advertising mail webmaster
xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: The Art of the Double Tap

Post by xl_target » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:25 pm

Here is a demonstration of the "Double Tap". He makes it look so easy. LOL

[youtube][/youtube]
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MoA » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:59 pm

A lot more difficult than it looks with anything other than a .22lr. Especially when you are shooting at a target 25 meters away. And it get worse with the larger calibers.
Funnily enough easier with a revolver, since the recoil in more linear than lateral like in a pistol.

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:16 pm

dont forget, its 'center body mass'
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

gunnera4
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by gunnera4 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:56 am

interesting, i practise "double tap" and "center of mass" routinely and do not find it difficult, there is also the "mozambique drill", two rapid shots to center of mass followed by one shot to the head to make sure of a kill, that's more difficult, the head is a smaller target, but practise is the key with any shooting technique.
"gunner"
"And my only friend, from start to end, was a punishing army Colt."

rpm148
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by rpm148 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:14 am

I am also an advocate of the Mozambique drill. If you get a chance to watch the movie "Collateral" with Tom Cruise, there is a great scene where he is assaulted by two armed robbers. He disarms the first one, double taps to the chest, mozambiques the other guy before the can draw his weapon, then puts one in the other guy's head to finish him quickly.

here's a clip on YouTube: warning: this movie clip contains violence and adult language and may not be suitable for children.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI1_-a0coag
[youtube][/youtube]

My personal opinion is the following.

If you own a gun for personal defense, you should be prepared to shoot to kill.
Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice.
Dead criminals cannot testify in court.

I sincerely hope and pray that I never have to draw my weapon on another person. That being said, if I draw my pistol and shoot, I'm shooting to stop them, and if they don't stop with two shots to center mass, they get one to the coconut. The only situation in which I would consider otherwise would be three or more assailants if i were carrying my .45 (which is 8+1 rounds).
When I'm carrying my BHP, I've got 14 rounds of 147gr JHP at my disposal. If I'm looking at more than 4 assailants, my running skills will be more important than my shooting skills, but that's also why I always carry a spare 13 round magazine. :D

gunnera4
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by gunnera4 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:05 am

in that clip the guy sitting in the car doesn't look too happy. well, thats what happens when you hire cheap, low rent thugs.

rpm148
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by rpm148 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:28 am

Gunnera4 you need to watch the movie--the guy in the car is actually a tom cruise's hostage and was hoping to be rescued! it's actually quite a good movie with the plot and all the action scenes.

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:29 pm

gunnera4 wrote:interesting, i practise "double tap" and "center of mass" routinely and do not find it difficult, there is also the "mozambique drill", two rapid shots to center of mass followed by one shot to the head to make sure of a kill, that's more difficult, the head is a smaller target, but practise is the key with any shooting technique.
"gunner"

I do not for a simple reason its waist of ammo, one to chest and (if baddies wearing armour or on ganja etc, he might get you before you get him in the head) one to head is enough should do the trick.

saying that i do believe in double tap, i believe in more in a way of one shot to chest one to head. and save ammo for the next charlie.
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

gunnera4
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by gunnera4 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:42 pm

rpm148 wrote:Gunnera4 you need to watch the movie--the guy in the car is actually a tom cruise's hostage and was hoping to be rescued! it's actually quite a good movie with the plot and all the action scenes.
you're right, i didn't see the movie, and i had the sound off when i watched the clip. on your recommendation i'll have to look it up.