SIG slides, folded or machined

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

SIG slides, folded or machined

Post by xl_target » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:31 am

There is always a lot of discussion on the quality of the newer machined SIG slides versus the older stamped slides. SIG purists claim the the formed slide gives the pistol a better balance as the machined slide makes the gun front heavy.
I'm really not sure but I know my P6 is supposed to be a stamped slide but I could never figure out how it was done. I could never find any welds on it. Anyway, I found this on the SIG forums. If you're at all interested in metalworking, I'm sure you'll find this enlightening. About halfway down the thread, one guy posted photos of the slide forming process. It's very interesting to see a flat piece of metal become a high quality firearm. SIG has claimed that they have discontinued the slide forming process but just this year they produced a run of (500 pieces, I think) P225's. So who knows if they will produce more.

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/ ... 710801/p/1
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

For Advertising mail webmaster
Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: SIG slides, folded or machined

Post by Vikram » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:22 am

Very interesting,post.Thank you.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."