efficiency of pistol magazine.

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
saahil
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

efficiency of pistol magazine.

Post by saahil » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:03 pm

dear members
i want to inquire that if we keep our pistol magazine always loaded, will it effect the proper functioning of the magazine spring,or have any harmful effect on its performance.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Vineet
Veteran
Veteran

Re: efficiency of pistol magazine.

Post by Vineet » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:16 pm

Keeping the pistol magazine always loaded means that we are keeping the spring at one place for very long time and that too in compressed state.Therefor it is bound to loose its elasticity.Never keep the spring at one place for long time. We should decrease and increase the cartridges in the magazine from time to time so that the spring keeps on moving and its elasticity is maintained.

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:47 am

saahil:

I think you raise a valid concern re: semi auto pistols. When I got my CZ 50 in .32 ACP, it would not feed properly and would always jam once or more per magazine, with either of the two magazines I have. I searched the web for others with similar problems, and sorting thru the usual claptrap, found a recommendation to get new magazine springs.

I ordered a set of 3 magazine springs from Wolff Gun Springs and, sure enough, the problem disappeared with either magazine. From what I gather, the issue has to do with the quality of spring wire used for the magazine spring and when too much tension is lost, feeding is unreliable.

I am guessing that Colt must have used a superior quality of spring in the 1911s, since the magazines for these pistols are often loaded and kept loaded for long periods of time without feeding problems. It also may be a factor that certain designs require more tension to feed properly than others.

Regardless, I am pretty religious about not keeping my semi auto magazines loaded for anymore time than is necessary. This does tend to make them less suitable for keeping always loaded, which is one reason I appreciate my DA revolvers. I do prefer pistols over revolvers -- I think they are superior and less subject to wear over the long haul, and they don't have all of the critical parts of a revolver that must be in good shape for proper operation. However, I also feel that a DA revolver in good shape is superior for leaving loaded and being ready to go BANG when required.

This may all seem a bit contradictory, but this is the thinking I operate by, for whatever it may be worth to you.

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:15 am

as timmy says good springs are in order.

what i use to do is that have 3 mags, when working, two loaded one empty taken apart socked in oil and rotate them likewise.

most megs problem comes form springs and not cleaning the megs from inside so grit dirt etc gathers.

the way i do it, keeps the megs clean and springs relaxed and oiled for better functioning, while not used.
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

tingriman
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by tingriman » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:28 pm

my 2 cents worth

I personally underload and rotate the mag to increase the overall life of springs. Minus one round in single stack config. while minus two rounds in double stack config. serves the purpose.

cheers
tingriman

Anand
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Anand » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:12 am

I have 7 magazines for this same reason. I keep no more than 2 magazines loaded at any one time and the rest are "resting".
Anand

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:35 am

My uncles US Carbine M1 has the same problem the magazine spring is worn out and doesnt feed ammo properly.
Maybe others can advise will it be legal to bring a magazine spring in baggage? If yes then maybe its a good idea on a trip say to US pick up some extra springs I know magazines are out of question. I have carbine magazine bought for $2 bucks dont feel like throwing it away neither can I take it to India :deadhorse:

Cheers

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:42 am

NGrewal,

Send the spring without the follower through post.While you are at it,why not send over a complete set of springs for the carbine? There is no restriction on import of springs of any kind.

You may also find this link interesting http://cenexcisenagpur.nic.in/tradenotice/trade_610.htm

Note-Articles under heading 7320.00 are free to import

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:59 am

Very valid advice-if you have 2 mags, rotate loads everyday.keep springs clear of muck and grit,clean the follower area and it wouldnt hurt to keep one round less in a single stack mag.
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

amk
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by amk » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:07 pm

This is all hogwash :lol: If you've got decent mags then no problem in keeping them loaded; make sure they're aired from time to time and wiped with an oily rag.
AMK
--------------------------------------
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Ben Franklin
--------------------------------------

rcdoma
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by rcdoma » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:39 pm

Always clean inside the magazines before rotating them. Ensure there is no oil inside as it attracts dirt and might cause misfires by contaminating ammo primers.

I was told that frequent loading/unloading of magazines causes spring fatigue, and its best to keep it loaded and rotate every six months. As other members have pointed out, do not load magazines to full capacity -keep 1 or 2 rounds less.

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:07 am

AMK makes the point that as long as you keep your magazines in decent condition and prevent the springs from rusting, you should be OK. He is correct. From an engineering standpoint, it is the compression and decompression of springs that wear them out. Keeping them under tension for extended periods of time should not cause them to weaken.

Now this is taking into account that the springs are manufactured with the proper materials. If substandard or out of spec. materials are used in the construction of the magazine, there is a good chance that you will have problems no matter what you do. Keep in mind that 1911's from the WW2 era with their magazines loaded to the present time have fed and fired with no issues.

Also keep in mind that it is not a question of older technology being suspect. The techniques used in the manufacture of springs are not a secret and the details of making good springs have been around for a very long time. A properly designed magazine with properly designed magazine springs should not suffer from being left loaded.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941