Suggestions/Reviews for a .22 pistol

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
conty1
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Suggestions/Reviews for a .22 pistol

Post by conty1 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:25 pm

I'm planning to buy a small handgun that I am going to use mainly for plinking but also since my wife has been showing some interest in shooting, maybe I can have her shoot it as well.

I am thinking of a .22 pistol (I'm not much into revolvors) and my bugdet is ~ 300 USD.

Something like: http://www.keepshooting.com/firearms/ha ... 5combo.htm
(A Walther P22)

Let me know if you guys have any first hand reviews or suggestions otherwise.

Amit

For Advertising mail webmaster
Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:34 pm

Amit

Within that budget you can get decent guns. I bought a Browning Buckmark ( they have range of models) and other good choice is Ruger MKII or III. Another one recommended to me was SIG Mosquito. Check this site Sharief and others gave me lot of recommendations.

Just see what fits her well. All the best

Rgds
Navdeep

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Suggestions/Reviews for a .22 pistol

Post by Mark » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:19 pm

For a plinking handgun that you might want to introduce to your wife, go with a longer barrel. The mosquito has a 4" barrel which is poor for target shooting and is annoyingly noisy for a 22. Either the buckmark or the MK2 are good choices, I have a buckmark now and had a MK2 earlier in life. Best thing would be to take your wife to a gun show and let her pick something out, unless you really want it to be for you. :D
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:51 pm

Amit,

Ask your dealer if he could order the SIG-Hammerli Trailside for you from CDNN Investments These are nice guns and though CDNN sold most of the stock that they bought when a large store closed down, they still have some left. You could e-mail them for more information if you like.

Cheers!

Mehul

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:36 pm

Hi everybody, my personal choice would be a Ruger MK II with 4 inch bull barrel. The 5.5 inch version would be a better choice in the range but its not a small weapon by any standard. The MK II bull is possibly the toughest .22 pistol around. An excellent plinker and not bad for precision shooting as it comes with adjustable backsight and elevated foresight.
I am not sure Ruger has kept it in the Mark III series. In that case would could try out the same model with polymer frame - the 22-45. Its even lighter.

Bhargav
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Bhargav » Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:50 pm

well my personal favorite is Ruger MKII and III but also try the Smith and wesson that also is good but i am not sure about the price.

Also here is my suggestion, if you are planning to buy a pistol then why a .22 and why not a 9mm? you can use this later as a home defence or self defence.

i don't want to change your mind here but i was also thinking about buying a 22 initially but now i am seriously thinking of buying a 9mm coz the ammo is cheap and it has more power so that becomes a multipurpose.

Bhargav.

nineteeneleven
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by nineteeneleven » Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:48 am

My choice would be Beretta Neos 6 inch blue. Cheap and best...and disassembly is a breeze compared to the Ruger. $199 at Gander Mountain...if they have it in stock.

-Praveen

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:30 pm

Reposting " Trailside has some issues so its not made any more.."

1911 - Beretta Neo-- futuristic design and another one is Smith and Wessons 2XX model look up the website. Its also in the same price range as neo.

Bhargav .22 pistol are fun guns to shoot with cheap ammo, less recoil, a good beginners gun...

In the end buy whats available in near abouts and get started..these all are good guns..

conty1
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by conty1 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:34 pm

Hello guys.... so I ended up with a SIG Hammerli Trailside :) And now that I have put about 500 shots through it, I want to know what your suggestions are for ammo. I have not had 'any' success with the CCIs. Check out this thread and let me know if you have anything interesting for me. There's also some pictures!

http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?t=1137

Amit.

Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:29 pm

Try SK Magazine, SK Standard Plus or any of the three Eley pistol brands - Xtra, Target and Standard.

Mack The Knife

shahid

Post by shahid » Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:38 pm

Or for that matter go for RWS Noble, Remington or ELEY - Tenex if available there. It is only with experimentation that you hit upon the best ammo for a particular make / model that suits best.

I have been useing GEKO from RWS Noble for a long time now, quite satisfactory.

In India I have a Richardson & Harrington .22 LT revolver , 7 shot. With the KF ammo ( all that can be afforded and is available) the results are rather fair.

Try some remington types. Often they are good.

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:37 pm

Congratulations Amit. The hammerli is a very good weapon. Try using standard velocity ammo from Eley and Lapua. Should get good results.

TC

conty1
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by conty1 » Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:26 am

Okay I think I am getting somewhere. I tried the Winchester Wildcats, Federal Champions and finally the CCI Blazers. All performed much better today. I can't say it was a breeze but then I fired about 400 rounds today. The gun might have gotten a little dirty. I was really impressed with CCI blazers though. I did the break-in-barrell routine... fire about 25 rounds, throw some Hoppe's #9 down the barrell and run a bore snake through. The groups were still a little too off for my liking, but they were definitely better then the first two outings.

Anyway... I was at J&R close to my house and it is an impressive range. Very well lit, automatic target holders etc. They also allow all handgun calibre rifles and even shotguns.

Amit

Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:38 am

Amit,

Glad to know the Blazers worked for you. I was in Milwaukee yesterday but was too tied up to go and pick a few bricks up from the local Fleet Farm. Should be back in Wisconsin next week sometime and shall get more. FUnnily, it was nice and warm out there though it is north of here. Chicago was cold and blustery on that day...

I like the Blazers because they work in my rifle as well - the reason why I buy them by the brick. Also the cost of buying them is fantastic - $ 7 for 500 is cheaper than the price Inder paid for air rifle pellets! Does feel nice when a cheap brand of ammo works well in your gun compared to the expensive stuff, doesn't it? 8)

Cheers!

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:16 am

7 $ for a brick of 500 ! ! !

Yesterday I managed to get two boxes of Winchester Super X and paid Rs 1700 for 100. That works out to Rs 17 per ammo. And believe me I felt lucky !

Regards

TC