first pistolrecommendations

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

first pistolrecommendations

Post by Sakobav » Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:37 am

Looks like my NYC permit might come through in this month, so Any recommendations for .22 pistol or anyother calibre for that matter.. to be used for plinking, target shoots for fun, it will be my first weapon

My choices due to budget are hammerli, browning buckmark and ruger, in the same order.
Navdeep

For Advertising mail webmaster
mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:17 am

Navdeep,

From the list, the Hammerli Trailside is probably the best choice for a fun pistol in 22 lr. It would be a nice plinking gun. That said, a fine old design, the Whitney Wolverine has recently been put back in production and it is available from http://www.olyarms.com

CDNN have fantastic prices on the Hammerlis and you should easily be able to find a transfer dealer in upstate NY who does the transfer for you for $ 25 or so.

Do let us know what you select.

Cheers,

Mehul

axp817
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by axp817 » Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:43 pm

Hi Navdeep,
May I ask what kind of guns (any restrictions besides class 3) your NY permit allows you to buy?

Thanks,
Naren

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

NYC permit

Post by Sakobav » Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:11 am

Naren

I have a premise house weapon kind of lic.. which means I can only take this gun from house to range and back no short stops in between..regarding weapon restrictions.
I dont know what level 3 grade weapons are... They have long list weapons such as MACs, anything that can be shot like sub machine..say la HK style. rest i will find out when I face the board this week..maybe I am counting chickens before they hatch.

Regards
Navdeep

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:10 am

Navdeep,

To learn the pros and cons of all three types, I strongly suggest you pose this question on www.targettalk.org

All the best.

Mack The Knife

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:32 pm

Mack The Knife

I will do that and post on that page. I still have few legal hurdles left to jump before I get the permit..

Thanks
Navdeep

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:09 pm

Navdeep,

I saw quite a few handguns at the NRA convention and I am seriously thinking about buying a 1911 A1 this year. Mine will be a 45 ACP or a 45 Hard Head as they call a variation that is being built these days with a strengthened case head to fire heavier loads for the typical Practical Pistol matches that are popular here. From the ones I saw, Para Ordnance, SIG and Smith and Wesson all had nice guns though, of course, you don't get the kind of performance that yyou would get with a full custom like a Les Baer or STI or whatever. But then, you're not talking about a $ 2500 plus gun with any of the production manufacturers.

I hope to get some handgunning when I go to St Louis or Appleton next. A very good friend has a daughter who has some 100+ guns that she and her boyfriend shoot one or the other of all the time at my old club. Will post from my personal experience shortly.

Incidentally, she too is a Glock challenge shooter.

Cheers,

Mehul

axp817
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

My first pistol

Post by axp817 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:44 am

Yes, I am officially a NH resident now and have in my possession, my first handgun - The Sig Sauer P220R DAK (.45 ACP)

I was going to get the P220R Carry, which is a short barreled (3.9") version of the P220R (4.4"), but since it is a new offering from Sig it has/had a wait time of over a month and I decided to get the full sized P220.

It is beautiful, and feels good in the hand, with the Hogue rubber grips on it. I haven't shot it yet and plan on going to the range this weekend.

I went to the Salem, NH Police Dept. today to hand in my application for a CCW and the officer asked me to check in 5-6 days to see if it was ready.

Yes, only 5-6 days and it costs $10 and is good for 4 years.

For those who don't know, NH is a "shall issue" State and the authorities are required by law to process your application within 14 days and they cannot deny it if your record is clean.

Will post some pictures over the weekend.

Thanks,
Naren

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:49 am

Well guys got the permit and now I have untill Jul6 to buy a handgun, once I buy it within 72 hrs need to bring into inspection and endorsement on my lic. They also gave me authorization permit without which no NY gun seller can sell me..
Mehul and Naren I am planning for .22 for plincking gun something cheap and durable. Although I am keeping my options open..Will try to seek out a gunshop and even see if some one can ftd from cdnn..

Mehul - I did check on WOlverine it looks sleek.. plan is to rent guns at a range and see how they feel. Mehul you can also add Dan Wesson to .45 they have been bought by CZUSA also Ed brown exec.. I believe even Springfield armory makes one.

Regards
Navi

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:00 am

Congratulations, Navdeep! When and where is the party? :mrgreen:

Mack The Knife

axp817
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Pics - Sig P220

Post by axp817 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:39 am

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:39 am

Mack The Knife

NYC any time and if I make it to Blore we will figure it out
Well I need specific help on wepaon now I am too jaded chasing lic stuff around...I am going to be lost in a gun shop like kid in a candy store..
Talking about you.. well Mehul posted you do have A 5 in family.. PB lic is an issue as you mentioned, per grumpy it still a solid gun.. so take penpusher's advise tie the gun to tractor wheel and try firing it.. fix what you can ..then I remember penpusher's friend wants a semi auto and he is willing to trade a .306 rifle for it... see where I am going what say!

Cheers
Navdeep

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: Pics - Sig P220

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:17 am

axp817 wrote:As promised here are the pics.
I hate you! :evil:

:wink: :mrgreen:

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:41 am

ngrewal wrote:then I remember penpusher's friend wants a semi auto and he is willing to trade a .306 rifle for it... see where I am going what say!
One thing at a time. This is India, remember? If I put in two applications simultaneously I will most probably end up with a zero.

Mack The Knife

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:28 am

Mack The Knife,

What Navdeep means is that penpusher has a friend who is willing to trade a 30-06 rifle for a semi auto shotgun. He is suggesting that you do this with the A-5 if you don't want the hassles of a PB license. If you could do this, then it would be fantastic.

Cheers,

Mehul