Took my S&W model 1917 US ARMY out for a spin!

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
dfritz
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Took my S&W model 1917 US ARMY out for a spin!

Post by dfritz » Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:02 am

BTW get it revolver......spin hahahahahah I amaze myself :)

Ok so here is my virtual shooting for you guys enjoy

The Hardware

Hardware with his "little" friends

LOADED!

The Enemy!

Distance of Engagement 25 feet! Hooah!

Ready, AIM!

FIREEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Spent!

Cheers!

Doug

For Advertising mail webmaster
mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:31 am

Doug,

She is a lovely old girl! Congratulations.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: Took my S&W model 1917 US ARMY out for a spin!

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:56 am

Nice one, Doug!

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:19 pm

Nice Spinner Doug :mrgreen:

Have Fun :)

Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:23 pm

Keep on doin it, buddy
Best
Axx
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:44 pm

Those are nice guns. People still use them in competitions here, I even remember seeing some full moon clips that hold 6 shots.

I don't know if you have evere seen this diagram? It is EXTREMELY helpful when you are trying to get your groups under control:

Also, make sure you are putting your fingerprint on the trigger, the temptation is to use the joint of the finger which results in the characteristic left-sided movement you see. I do not know if you did that or not so apologies if you have the proper hold!

dfritz
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by dfritz » Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:37 am

Hey mark thanks.

It was my first time shooting a revolver so that was new, I usually shoot a 1911 or sig. I also have the disadvantage that I am a righty shooter and my right eye has an astigmatism. :( have been noticing that if I bend the pistol to the right a wee bit I get better groups. But I appreciate the chart and will put that to use with my sig and 1911.

Doug

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:15 am

Doug,

This will both improve your scores AND get you funny looks at the same time!

If you do not wear glasses, take a pair of shooting glasses and get a small piece of black tape. cut a small, 1mm circle in the center of the tape and then stick it to the center of the glasses lens. It makes a dramatic difference.

Hopefully Mehul will see this thread and have some other suggestions.

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:47 am

Hello Doug,

Mark has some very good suggestions. I can also assure you that astigatism is nothing to be worried about. A small aperture could make a dramatic difference - vision through pinholes is usually good even for people with high corrections. If I may ask you, what kind of astigmatism do you have? I could give you some suggestions - my family have been in the optical business for four generations in India and though I am not an optician by education or training myself, I may be able to suggest something that could help.

In the USA, it is usually not a good idea to go to chain stores like Lenscrafters because they do not have the time or the inclination to look for custom solutions. If you were in Chicago, I would have referred you to a very good Optometrist here. In NH, I don;t know anyone, though I have a very good friend who is an Ophthalmologist who teaches at Harvard's Med School and whom I could refer you to if you want a solution. Just PM or e-mail me if you need any suggestions.

As a basic guide:

1. Vertical (90 degree) or horizontal (180 degree) axes in astigmatism would be easy to handle as they would distort the view of the target in a vertical or horizontal axis and that is easier to adjust to overall. Cross axes are usually more difficult to handle, though a proper pair of spectacles would easily take care of these problems. Cross compound corrections with a plus sphere correction and a minus cylinder or vice versa need to be handled even more carefully.

2. If you use contact lenses and you have vertical or horizontal astigmatism, you should not have any problem when you shoot. If you require a cross axis or a cross compound, then avoid the use of contact lenses while shooting. Since astigmatic corrections have to be corrected at a specific axis, a contact lens that is fitted for astigmatism has a ballast attached to the bottom of the lens to keep it at the right axis (blinking can rotate contact lenses and change the axis) - this is not done perfectly with cross axis or xross compound corrections

3. Use spectacles with a small frame aperture when you shoot. They can be de-centered more precisely than spectacles where the frame size is large. You could always wear shooting glasses over them

4. I don't know how old you are, but most people who are born by Caeserean or Forceps delivery require some degree of correction for astigmatism early in life. No one knows the reason for this, but if this is the reason why you have astigmatism, it should disappear over time. I had this problem as a boy though when I was 39-39 I began to have much better vision than I had ever had before. These days I only use spectacles for reading, and that too, only occasionally. For most light reading, I am okay with just my bare eyes, and you may find this happening to your eyes as well. There have been cases where children with this kind of transient astigmatism have had full recovery in their early to mid 20s as well. You don't have to feel bad about this at all

5. If you are particularly unhappy with your astigmatism, try lasik treatment. Astigmatism has to be treated with a mask and though lasik depends on your corneal topography and the endothelial cell count in your eyes, most corrections upto 6 dioptres can be effectively removed with this method. If you would like to discuss this with my friend at Harvard, I could introduce you

Don't feel bad about this. Astigmatism is only a minor problem and you can easily tackle it and shoot well. I did for many years without any trouble.

Good shooting!

Mehul