9mm revolvers

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:22 pm

Thanks for the link penpusher, what do you think about the following paragraphs -
The Astra 400 is rather unique. Although it was chambered for a full-powered 9mm round, the 9mm Largo, also known as the 9mm Bergmann-Bayard, it is designed around a simple blowback-operated action. In short, there is no locking mechanism, simply a very strong, coiled spring that encircles the barrel. Even more intriguing, the Astra was promoted heavily by Interarms as a pistol that could fire any 9mm rimless auto cartridge interchangeably. Indeed, it almost can since it is blessed with a forgiving chamber, long firing pin, and strong extractor.
AND
Frankly, while the Model 400 will feed, chamber, fire and extract cartridges like the 9mm Luger and .380, it's not a sound practice unless it's an emergency. There is still plenty of Largo military ball floating around. Starline offers new 9mm Largo brass for reloading, and Hornady is currently loading the 9mm Steyr, which is very similar in dimensions to the Largo and works fine.
This with other comments in the article seem to lead to the conclusion that, while this pistol is capable of chambering and firing 9mm para ammunition; this capability may not be built into other pistols chambered for this calibre. Which brings me to my next question - were there ANY other pistols built for this calibre? I can't seem to find any...

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

For Advertising mail webmaster
penpusher

Re: 9mm revolvers

Post by penpusher » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:30 pm

Edmond
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Edmond » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:18 pm

Hello,
There is the Ruger Speed Six in 9x19.

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:19 am

Edmond,

How does the extractor work on this one?Any problem with pierced primers or light strikes?

rcdoma
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by rcdoma » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:19 pm

Charter Arms is coming out with revolvers which use a spring to engage the extractor grooves in rimless cartridges: http://www.charterfirearms.com/products/CARR.html . These might work better with the IOF 9mm ammo than the pistols govt issues ;-).

kishore
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by kishore » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:45 pm

hi friends,
i am always fond of having a 9mm pistol can anyone help me out in getting it

The Doc
Veteran
Veteran

Post by The Doc » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:48 pm

kishore wrote: i am always fond of having a 9mm pistol can anyone help me out in getting it
9mm is a Prohibited bore for civilians . You can possess a 9mm firearm if you can manage to obtain a "P" bore license. (I am presuming that you are a civilian and not in armed forces.).

best,

R.
It's always better to have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it !

m24
Veteran
Veteran

Post by m24 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:14 am

Went though the whole thread and couldn't find an answer to one question.
The book Cartridges of the World stated in 2006, the 9x19mm Parabellum is "the world's most popular and widely used military handgun cartridge."
Source: Wikipedia

Why then aren't there any or rather many revolvers of the 9x19mm Parabellum??

Regards
Jeff Cooper advocated four basic rules of gun safety:
1) All guns are always loaded. Even if they are not, treat them as if they are.
2) Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
3) Keep your finger off the trigger till your sights are on the target.
4) Identify your target, and what is behind it.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:22 pm

m24 wrote:Why then aren't there any or rather many revolvers of the 9x19mm Parabellum??
For the same reason you don't see "any or rather many" revolvers chambered for other rimless cartridges... ;)
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MoA » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:35 pm

Rimless cartriddges in a revolver require more complex cylinders or the use of clips. This is why revolvers are typically in rimmed cartridge chamberings.

You want a rimless cartridge go with a pistol, fewer headaches. :cheers:
You want a 9x19 caliber handgun, the easiest way would be to move to a country that allows it. :cheers: Or be very famous and rich.

m24
Veteran
Veteran

Post by m24 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:12 pm

Thanks for the info.

Was wondering, hence the query. I'm not planning to move out anywhere, MoA. Nor am I rich and famous. Let's hope in the coming years, with the help of NAGRI, we, poor natives, may be able to fulfill our gun dreams.

Regards

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:25 pm

Why then aren't there any or rather many revolvers of the 9x19mm Parabellum??
To use a rimless cartridge like the 9X19 requires a more complex cylinder as the standard method of ejecting empties wont work (since there is no rim to grab).
This adds to the cost of making the revolver, among other things.

See image below:

Or it would require you to use special clips or adapters:

I hope this answers the questions about why you don't see many revolvers chambered for rimless cartridges
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

SARGE7402
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by SARGE7402 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:00 am

Quite a number of companies made 9MM revolvers. One of the first was the state of Isreal who took their S&W Model 10's (Called Military & Police in 1947) that were chambered for the 38 S&W round and simply rechambered the cylinders.

Ruger, S&W (made one and currently has one for sale) and Taurus have made 9MM revolvers. Those made by Charter Arms in the late 80's were chambered for the 9MM Federal Rimmed which is basicly a 9MM lugar round with a rim like a .38S&W. There is no way to use standard 9MM rounds in the CA.

I've currenly got a Taurus and a CA and both are compact five shot wheel guns.

Understand the Peoples Republic of China are arming their police with a 9MM revolver of similar power to the old webley's
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’

m24
Veteran
Veteran

Post by m24 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:59 am

Thanks xl and Sarge.

Regards