Ed McGivern - The Fastest Gun

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Ed McGivern - The Fastest Gun

Post by Vikram » Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:45 pm

Before Bob Munden, there was Ed McGivern.

It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

For Advertising mail webmaster
timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Ed McGivern - The Fastest Gun

Post by timmy » Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:32 am

I agree, Ed McGivern was quite exceptional with firearms. He performed some very amazing feats. I think that the most interesting one I've heard was shooting to the centers of Ace of Spades cards when the lights were turned on in a darkened room in a very short amount of time.

Bob Munden seemed to concentrate more on speed shooting. I do know that he worked on his own guns, as he would prowl the Montana gun shops for Ruger Single Action Blackhawks to modify, including one that I frequented. Under his speed shooting, the Rugers would evidently wear out fairly quickly. (These were the old three screw versions, I believe.) Of course, Munden's practicing a great deal probably had a lot to do with this. My Ruger doesn't show the slightest sign of wearing out!

I think that we must mention Jerry Miculek in this list of exceptional shots and pistoleros, as well. He has evidently attempted to break some of Ed McGivern's records with some success. Of interest, Jerry Miculek is married to the daughter of Jim Clark, who was an exceptional pistol shot himself years back.

One more person I'd like to add to this list is Ross Seyfried. He wrote for magazines for awhile, and his articles are pure gold. Ross was more of a combat pistol - 1911 person, being a fierce competitor. But he is also a shotgunner and rifleman of renown, and his articles on reloading, including old black powder rifles and damascus barreled shotguns are, along with his other reloading articles, still a gold standard of research and journalism.

It seems incredible that human beings can perform such feats with handguns, doesn't it? Clearly, McGivern took no second place overall when we think of the best of the best.

Thanks for this one, Vikram!
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:30 pm

Tim,

What amazes me is the fact that Ed McGivern developed his techniques and methods on his own with relatively primitive aids to develop his skills. I wonder what he could accomplish today.

I read about Bob Munden how he would wear out revolvers.His draw was mindbogglingly fast. I regularly watch Jerry Miculek.

I have several Ross Seyfried's articles on big bore rifles. Brilliantly written.
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:48 pm

good one vickers, I had the book but gave it away. very interesting to read
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.