ASTR ATAL FINALLY COMING....

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
jitsingh1977
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Re: ASTR ATAL FINALLY COMING....

Post by jitsingh1977 » Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:03 am

I checked the specifications and length is only 152 mm not even 6 inches, it's very compact, I hope accuracy and performance will not affect due to size,

For Advertising mail webmaster
timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:01 am

6 inches = 152.4 millimeters.

It doesn't seem likely that 0.4 millimeters will make a great difference.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

kps_dhillon
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by kps_dhillon » Fri Oct 06, 2023 1:29 pm

Length of the barrel would be a critical factor in determining accuracy. That's why competition guns have longer barrels.

Pratipalsinh Jadeja
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Pratipalsinh Jadeja » Fri Oct 06, 2023 4:30 pm

kps_dhillon wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 1:29 pm
Length of the barrel would be a critical factor in determining accuracy. That's why competition guns have longer barrels.
Atal's competition is not with Malhotrasons & Webley 45's. Its competition is Gretta, Newlight, IOF Ashni etc.
The longer barrels you're talking of are all different bores and not 32s

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Fri Oct 06, 2023 8:12 pm

kps_dhillon wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 1:29 pm
A short barrel can be just accurate as a long one.

jitsingh1977
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by jitsingh1977 » Sat Oct 07, 2023 1:07 am

here I am not comparing with 45 msd or 30 bore , but here we have two same profile gun atal and victor then I find victor is much better choice with many reasons, like barrel length 85mm to 102mm, capacity 13 to 15, as per gun design atal will have shorter effective range, recoil will be higher in atal than victor, accuracy will be higher in victor, what's your opinion,

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:46 am

My opinion.....pistols are defensive weapons that are normally used at short ranges....15-20 feet. If in doubt checkout videos online of attacks on individuals by criminals.

Pistol/revolver with a longer barrel takes longer to unholster. For a typical person like you and I, the time is going to be even longer than for a person who trains,is mentally prepared and primed for an attack. Accept it,we are never going to be able to shoot like Jerry Miculeck.

To become accurate with a pistol at longer ranges you would need to shoot and shoot a lot. By a lot I mean hundreds if not thousands of rounds at a range every year. Provided your licensing authority does give you the maximum quota of ammunition allowed you would be able to buy a thousand rounds in 5 years. Also ranges are almost non existent. So you don't have ammo to train to become a good shot at 25-30 meters ....you don't have a venue where you can train and you don't really need to learn how to shoot at such distances to defend yourself. Kill some one at those ranges and you have no chance to convince the judge that it was a case of self defense.
Last edited by winnie_the_pooh on Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Sat Oct 07, 2023 2:50 pm

winnie, I think that your comments are very well said.

A thousand rounds seems like a lot, but it is only ten range sessions of 100 rounds -- not really that much shooting over a year's time at all.

I shoot at 25 yards / 23 meters mostly, although I've fired my 38 Spl snubbie at 15 yards on several occasions. with my bad eyes, I've found that it's not so easy to keep my groups within the ~135 mm bull at 25 yards, shooting 9mm and 45 Auto -- at least, not as easy as it was when I was young.

A longer barrel can mean a longer sight radius, meaning that it might be easier to hit the bull with a longer barrel gun, given the same kind of sights, but a shorter barrel isn't inherently less accurate than a longer barreled one, I fully agree with you.

There's also the issue of how naturally one gun fits a shooter, compared to another. Shooting my "Star" is not nearly as pleasant as shooting the 1911, and I have to work harder to do it. The grip is at an awkward angle, it is too short to get my pinkie finger to work right, and it is bandly shaped. The gun is uncomfortable to shoot, in other words. the 1911, on the other hand, fits like a glove. These sorts of factors do make a difference in how well one shoots with a gun.

How well the gun is made is another factor, and there are many things involved here, beginning with the machining of the barrel and the chamber.

I keep thinking of other things that matter; just the barrel length alone seems like only a part of the issue of how well an individual gun shoots.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:33 pm

Shorter barrel = easy to carry.....easy to draw.....as you age and wearing glasses like I do, the front sight is easier to pick up and you do not lose a lot in terms of velocity. That said, the two handgun I own both have 5.5 inch barrels. Do get tempted to chop the barrels from time to time.

sumbriavikramaditya
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sumbriavikramaditya » Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:50 pm

Good news after a long time. Looking for similar news from other manufacturers.

jitsingh1977
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by jitsingh1977 » Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:58 pm

Atal management have decided to increase price, in usa companies sell pistols in 400 to 700 usd price, and here they say manufacturing cost is higher, so how does these make in india benefits, rather they trying to be greedy , but not for always, time will reply

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:18 pm

winnie_the_pooh wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:33 pm
Shorter barrel = easy to carry.....easy to draw.....as you age and wearing glasses like I do, the front sight is easier to pick up and you do not lose a lot in terms of velocity. That said, the two handgun I own both have 5.5 inch barrels. Do get tempted to chop the barrels from time to time.
Been a while since we talked. But what are the handguns that you have? Just curious.

Regards,

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

rahulbdelhi
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by rahulbdelhi » Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:26 pm

jitsingh1977 wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:58 pm
Atal management have decided to increase price, in usa companies sell pistols in 400 to 700 usd price, and here they say manufacturing cost is higher, so how does these make in india benefits, rather they trying to be greedy , but not for always, time will reply
ASTL ATAL is a polymer frame pistol, the cost of manufacturing should be a lot less than a full metal pistol like Malhotra defence or Webley.

Once more companies enter the market, we should see more reasonable pricing

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Sat Oct 28, 2023 8:24 pm

The cost of manufacturing a polymer frame would be mostly lie in getting/making dies. Price of the polymer itself would be relatively low. That these chaps have so far made only 15 pistols as claimed on another thread, does not speak very highly of the manufacturing ability of Astr. What polymer are they using?

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:44 am

Let's assume the company is using Dupont Zytel Nylon something something. A search on India mart throws up prices between rupees 100 to 200 per kg. A good VMC should be able to machine definitely more than 15 slides a day. Rifling a blank would take seconds. Small parts you can get made from companies like MIM who would have a minimum number of parts that they would make and that too would be in the hundreds. If you are making them in house you would be making them in batches of 50 or 100 in one go if you don't have a very big set up and are using one machine to make several different parts.That this company has so far made only a dozen or so pistols indicates that it is struggling to make them.