Use of .32 hollow point ammunition

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
rover12
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Use of .32 hollow point ammunition

Post by rover12 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:51 am

Respected Members, just wanted a clarification on whether it is advisable to use .32 hollow point pistol cartridges manufacturered by Hornady USA. Muzzle velocity upto 50 yards is 1000 fps and 834 FPS at a 100 yards in my 1903 Colt Pistol.
The pistol is in decent condition and I have been firing other imported cartridges like Sellier n Bellot regularly.
regards ...!

For Advertising mail webmaster
Poovanna
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Re: Use of .32 hollow point ammunition

Post by Poovanna » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:18 pm

Not a good idea to use a hollow point on the 1903 colt. You man not even be able to feed it into the pistol.

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:35 am

Rover12:

Hornady makes some fine ammunition and reloading components, but to answer your question, please consider how a hollow point or other type of expanding bullet works:

Every bullet is launched with a set amount of energy that it gains by being fired out of the barrel. The burning powder expands gasses that drives the bullet out. This energy that is imparted to the bullet ends when the bullet leaves the barrel and gas pressure is no longer pushing on it. From this point, the energy of the bullet (mass x velocity squared) is expended by fighting the resistance of air (and a little by gravity0.

When the bullet strikes something, the resistance of that something also saps the energy stored in the bullet -- it slows down, the further it travels in the something. The more energy the bullet has, the further it can travel into the something.

But, if the bullet becomes larger in diameter by expanding, a little thought will tell you that the larger diameter bullet will take more energy to travel through the something.

Also, a hollow point bullet will require energy to reshape it into an expanded form.

With all of this in mind, consider that 32 Auto is NOT the most powerful round. If we were talking about, say, a TT pistol chambered in the 7.62x25 cartridge, which is 3 to 4 times more powerful that the 32 Auto, there would be plenty of power to expand the hollow point bullet and plenty to drive it deeply into something.

It is well-accepted that it takes 305 mm to 460 mm of penetration to make a bullet effective, no matter what the shape or diameter. If it cannot attain that amount of penetration, it cannot reliably immobilize something. If it has enough energy to penetrate to that range of depth and more, then perhaps it has enough energy to expand and still reach that depth.

A 32 Auto will, with Full Metal Jacket (FMJ) ammunition, will often attain 305 mm to up to 380 mm in ballistic gel. In other words, it has just enough energy to get the job done. Tests I've seen on expanding (hollowpoint) bullets in gel will only penetrate from 150 mm to 200 mm -- not enough. For this reason, I no longer load my 32 Auto with any hollowpoint loads, and I refer to tests of the FMJ loads to see what will penetrate deeply enough.

Believe it or not, even the fastest 32 Auto velocity will not guarantee the deepest penetration! Subtle variations in the shape of the bullets also determine penetration, so I try to choose ammunition that has penetration, and not just velocity. I realize that, where you are at, you may not have a great deal of ammunition choices, so in that, you will have to do the best you can.

However, I would recommend not using hollow point or any other kind of expanding bullet in 32 Auto. With this cartridge, your option is superior shot placement in orderr to get the job done.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

Jr.
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Jr. » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:32 pm

Timmy - Have been reading some of your recent posts, your knowledge has great depth and is very practical.
Rover12 - I also own a Colt 1903, you can safely fire/discharge a Hollow Point cartridge from the Colt.
As explained by Timmy, there is definitely a difference in penetration between a JHP and FMJ Cartridge.
Soft Nose,Hollow Point,Solids etc.are generally (though not necessarily) taken into consideration for Rifles, used in hunting.

Regards,
Jr.

Poovanna
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Poovanna » Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:55 pm

Very informative information Timmy, thank you.

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:24 pm

Gentlemen, thank you very much, but I must eat crow and admit I was wrong.

Here are two tests of the Hornady CRITICAL DEFENSE XTP 32 Auto ammunition, including one for the 1903 Colt pistol:
The Round That Makes the Mouse Roar
Testing the new Critical Defense 32 Auto rounds in a North American Arms 32 Guardian

Officer Lindsey Bertomen (ret.)
Sep 18th, 2019

We shot both of Hornady's performance products for the 32 Auto. Pictured here is the 60 grain cartridge with their XTP bullet. Although it was on the leading edge of defensive ammunition for the 32, it did not hold a candle to the Critical Defense round.

For all of the Mouse Gun fans out there, Critical Defense makes them roar. Tests found that the Critical Defense 32 Auto gave the user a slight edge over other similar cartridges, for which tiny gun users are quite grateful. The cartridge was designed for short-barreled pocket pistols. It uses the 60-grain FTX bullet and Flex Tip Technology and was designed for combat situations where a low flash propellant is a lifesaving component.

In my article “12 Rules of Off Duty Conduct” (Law Enforcement Technology, February 2006), rule 10 was “carry the most effective weapon the wardrobe allows.” When the wardrobe is shorts and a t-shirt, this may be a viable option.

I can hear the jokes already: “.32 Auto is the caliber I carry when I’m not armed. It’s more effective to throw the gun than shoot the bullet.” The truth is, not every wardrobe will allow for an effective caliber. If it was always possible to carry an effective caliber, my everyday carry would be a .308. On one hand, some would consider it irresponsible to recommend a 32 Auto. On the other, it is a viable component in the off duty toolbox.

When it comes to using a .32 Auto, I prefer the words of Evan Marshall, co-author of the definitive studies Handgun Stopping Power and Street Stoppers: “We need to remember that while ammunition selection is important, it will never negate the need for superior tactics and marksmanship.”

The .32 Auto is rumored to be one of the widely used cartridges worldwide
The .32 Auto looks like a miniature .45. Both were designed by John M. Browning, but the .32 Auto was actually his first pistol cartridge. Most .32 Auto handguns are blowback design, meaning the weight of the slide keeps the chamber after firing and before the firing cycle continues.
The .32 Auto looks like a miniature .45. Both were designed by John M. Browning, but the .32 Auto was actually his first pistol cartridge. Most .32 Auto handguns are blowback design, meaning the weight of the slide keeps the chamber after firing and before the firing cycle continues.

There are .32 Auto handguns that are lighter than a set of keys, specifically the 6.6 oz KelTec P32, and some whose size rivals that of an iPhone, like the 15.6 oz North American Arms Guardian used in this test. Both of these guns offer manageable recoil and EDC reliability.

The .32 Auto was originally designed by John M. Browning for the Browning No. 1 pistol. The cartridge designation is often called the 7.65mm Browning, 7.65 x 17 or the ,32 ACP (my favorite, since it stands for Automatic Colt Pistol).

.32 Auto guns typically are double action only, and usually blowback design. These features allow for short actions and simple engineering, allowing for thin, uncomplicated operation. A .38 special may be a more effective cartridge, but I found that I can put down accurate fire more rapidly with a pocket .32 Auto that takes up half the space, even with cartridges that may be considered a bit spicy for this caliber.

The blowback design is reliable, but it relies on the weight of the slide to keep the chamber closed during the firing cycle. Hornady Critical Defense rounds use nickel-plated brass, which is smoother than standard brass, adding to the reliability equation.

The .32 Auto should never be considered an effective caliber for defensive purposes. Rather, it should be considered a choice when other choices are impractical. The new Hornady Critical Defense .32 Auto cartridge adds a little more practicality to the choice.

Time to pull the trigger
Our test gun was a North American Arms .32 Auto, a perfect gun for trauma plate carry. This is a pocket gun with an OAL of 4.38”. I often carry the NAA .380 version. Up until I tested the gun, I thought they were the same size. The NAA .32 is smaller and much lighter. Magazines come with flat, extended, and finger rest base plates. I recommend that those with normal-sized hands use the flat base plate mags only when necessary. There’s only enough room for a couple of fingers on this gun. It doesn’t pitch or twist in the hand under recoil that much, even with the limited grip.

The NAA 32 is a tiny hangun that is easy to hide anywhere. It's a simple design, which is easy to get into action, and easy to maintain. We got amazing performance from the Critical Defense 32 Auto from short barrel of the NAA 32.

The 6+1 capacity NAA .32 is made of stainless steel with textured rubber grips. There is no missing the quality in the construction or the simplicity of the design. These are straight blowback guns, with fixed barrels and long pull double-action triggers. They are easy to clean and maintain. I find the “channel style” fixed blade sights to be a little small, but they are indestructible, like the rest of the gun. NAA’s Custom Shop will remedy this more cheaply than one would think. Disassembly is simple, even though my big hands get in the way.

We had borrowed this NAA .32 from a friend. When we got done with the test, I was thinking of adding to my NAA collection. The quality of North American Arms firearms is astounding, especially considering the price. I have several, and one of them is with me all the time, regardless of what I am doing.

I had a chance to test a KelTec P32, a polymer .32 Auto, a few years back. This is one of the smallest and lightest centerfire pistols on the market today. KelTec users are usually well-informed armed citizens and KelTec, under founder and designer George Kellgren, takes a unique approach. Their guns are deliberate designs, aimed at the concealed carry market. KelTec makes most of their gun parts available to the end user, and there are user groups that can help with general questions. The prices for parts are quite reasonable. They have created an entire market designed to empower the end user. On the P32, some things are so simple that the person who practices regularly can quickly inspect and keep a KelTec running in almost any environment. For example, the P32 extractor is mounted externally so it can be removed and replaced without further disassembly. I have often wondered when a prominent world military power will ever take the lead and adopt a KelTec.

On the range, we started with Hornady’s .32 Auto 60 grain FTX cartridge. In the short-barreled Guardian, it chronographed an average 950 fps. This performance was good for a 32, but we had a surprise coming.

We chronographed the 60-gr FTX Critical Defense round. It averaged 1,050 fps out of the 2.19” barrel of the Guardian. We shot enough rounds through the chronograph screens to confirm this performance. Hornady specs this cartridge at 133 ft.-lbs. at 100 fps. Obviously, 1,050 fps kicks it up a little.

One of the reasons that the effectiveness of the .32 Auto is questionable is the velocity. Anything under about 900 fps will not consistently expand a hollow point. If the hollow point expands at that velocity, adequate penetration is questionable. We usually tell users to use jacketed bullets and rely on penetration and accuracy.

The 60-gr FTX Critical Defense expanded reliably, all the way to 150%, in bare gelatin. The average penetration with the fully expanded FTX bullet was 12.5 inches in Clear Ballistic gelatin, with zero bullet weight loss. Critical Defense bullets have a Flex Tip, a polymer plug that prevents materials from the target from clogging the hollow point and affecting the reliability of the bullet. In my experience with all FTX bullets in all calibers, I have found that they are completely predictable, in most materials. In .32 Auto, I have never recorded such consistency in ballistic gelatin.

Hornady .32 Auto FTX Critical Defense cartridges come in 25 round boxes. This is the cartridge that can make the mouse gun roar.
from https://www.officer.com/tactical/firear ... id=1&pid=2

Note that, at 12.5 inches (318 mm) the CRITICAL DEFENSE ammo is on the ragged edge of acceptability. I have not seen a test in which any 32 Auto hollow point ammo can penetrate this far. In a warm climate where heavy coats are not worn, this should work.

Note that you must get CRITICAL DEFENSE ammo from Hornady, not just the regular XTP bullet stuff.

Here's another test:
.32 Automatic ballistic test

by Hunter Elliott on September 28, 2017 in ballistic testing

The .32 Auto, also known as the 7.65mm Browning, was developed by none other than John Browning for the FN 1900 pistol introduced in 1899. This was JMB’s first handgun cartridge and was designed for a blowback compact pistol design but has since been implemented in locked breech designed handguns. Many say the .32 Auto is underpowered for a defensive cartridge. Given the fact the .32 Auto cartridge works so well in a small pocket pistol I thought it would be worth doing a ballistic test to see what was what.

I secured two pistols to use in the ballistic test, the new Colt 1903 Pocket Hammerless Pistol made by US Armament Corp and the ever popular Kel-Tec P-32. The reason I used two pistols is the 1903 Pocket Hammerless has a 3.75 inch barrel, while the P-32 has a 2.7 inch barrel. I was curious to see what the 1.05 of an inch difference would make in velocity and terminal performance. Both pistols would serve well for concealed carry but the Kel-Tec P-32 is tiny and very easily concealed. Something else to consider, comparing similar sized handguns the one in .32 Auto usually has one more round in magazine capacity over the .380 Auto.

After securing common .32 Auto ammunition, both defensive and ball rounds, I set out with my CED Chronograph and Clear Ballistics ballistic gel to get the results.

Please click on the chart for a larger version.

The recovered bullets are from left to right PPU, Speer Gold Dot, PMC, Hornady XTP, Cor-Bon Glaser, Fiocchi, Sellier and Bellot. The bottom row was shot in bare gel while the top through 3 layers of denim.

The first seven were shot through the P-32 while the last seven were shot through the 1903 Colt Hammerless Pistol. You will notice by the chart and photos the extra 1.05″ in barrel length made quite a difference in terminal performance. With that said, the .32 Auto did pretty well if you choose your ammunition wisely. Looking over the results and the ballistic gel, I would always go with a jacketed hollow point in the .32 Auto. There was usually some expansion and that did not affect the penetration as much as you would think.
from https://rangehot.com/32-automatic-balli ... ightbox/1/

For this second test, note that the Critical Defense ammo didn't have quite the performance, yet had more penetration. Such are the variables in testing. You see that one of the guns used was a Colt 1903 pistol.

Generally, you should be able to shoot any 32 Auto ammo in your 1903, but watch out for ammo marked "+P". This is loaded to higher than standard pressures. It may be safe or it may not -- generally, such ammo is used in steel framed guns. I don't use it, myself, in any of my 9mm 45 Auto, or 38 Special guns. As I no longer work, I can't afford to buy new guns to replace ones that are no longer safe or operable.

Sorry for speaking to quickly on this. I thought that I should check to make sure, and sure enough, The CRITICAL DEFENSE ammo does penetrate sufficiently, if these tests are correct. I should warn you that this ammo isn't too cheap.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

Vineet
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vineet » Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:00 pm

Besides whatever has been said above, I would like to add that hollow points don't function reliably in some pistols.

If you are planning to carry hollow points for self defence, make sure they function reliably in your pistol.

Considering. 32 hollow points cost in India, this testing will cause some dent in your pocket.
Vineet Armoury
Arms, Ammunition & Accessories.