US Army Selects a new Service pistol

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

US Army Selects a new Service pistol

Post by xl_target » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:22 am

The Beretta 92 is history.
The new US Army handgun is the SIG P320
Half a decade into its search for a new handgun, the Army has chosen Sig Sauer's P320 as its new service pistol.

Here's what we know so far:

The P320, released by Sig Sauer in 2014, is a polymer striker-fired pistol, according to a statement from the gunmaker.
The new sidearm will replace the M9 Beretta, the Army’s pistol of choice for more than 30 years, according to an Army announcement Jan. 19.
The P320 is the first modular pistol with interchangeable grip modules that can also be adjusted in frame size and caliber by the user. 
It can be adapted to shoot 9mm, .357 SIG and .40 S&W ammunition, according to Sig Sauer.
Although neither the Army nor Sig Sauer announced which caliber the Army chose, media reports say the Army chose the 9mm version.
Sig Sauer confirmed that the Army had selected both the full size and compact P320.
Soldiers should start getting the new handguns this year, with all of the contract’s weapons delivered over a period of 10 years.
All pistols will be configurable to receive silencers. 

The pistols will have standard and extended capacity magazines.

The gun boasts a stainless steel frame that allows users to “change caliber, size and fit at will,” according to promotional material from Sig Sauer. It also has a “cleaner, crisper trigger reset, safe takedown and unprecedented modularity,” the company said.

The pistols will be produced at Sig Sauer facilities in New Hampshire, the company said.

The Sig Sauer P320 was selected as the Army's new handgun, officials announced Jan. 19. The handguns will be delivered over a period of 10 years.
Photo Credit: Courtesy photo from Sig Sauer

The Army first announced the competition for the Modular Handgun System back in 2011, but multiple delays left the most recent solicitation deadline at February of 2016.   

Sig Sauer beat out companies such as Glock and Beretta for the $580 million contract, which includes firearms, accessories and ammunition.  

As of Jan. 20, the Army had not provided any additional information on the contract or the weapon.

“We are both humbled and proud that the P320 was selected by the U.S. Army as its weapon of choice,” said Ron Cohen, president and CEO of Sig Sauer, in a statement. “Securing this contract is a testimony to Sig Sauer employees and their commitment to innovation, quality and manufacturing the most reliable firearms in the world.”

Army acquisition executive Steffanie Easter said she is “tremendously proud” of the Modular Handgun System team.

“By maximizing full and open competition across our industry partners, we have optimized private sector advancements in handguns, ammunition and magazines and the end result will ensure a decidedly superior weapon system for our warfighters," she said.

Links:
https://www.sigsauer.com/products/firea ... tols/p320/
https://www.armytimes.com/articles/11-t ... ew-handgun
https://www.armytimes.com/articles/army ... -sig-sauer
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

For Advertising mail webmaster
chicky
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: US Army Selects a new Service pistol

Post by chicky » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:57 am

Very informative, thanks for posting but...
I want one too.. :D
"One can never know how far he can go and reach, until he starts running "

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:19 am

birdie told me few of these pistols were bought by state police in India

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:57 pm

Chicky,
You can own one too.
You just have to emigrate to the US :)
Any law abiding citizen or resident can own one here.

Navi,
Can you say which State police?
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:14 am

Xl

It was sighted in punjab not sure whether its private or belongs to their special forces

Cheers

Motorpsycho
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Motorpsycho » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:49 pm

I had the pleasure of putting a few rounds down a P220 last year, I loved how the gun felt. This one felt way better than the 1911 we had taken along.

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:50 am

Thanks for the clarification, Navi,

Motorpsycho,

The P220 is a really nice pistol but it is of more conventional design. It is a alloy framed, steel slide, hammer fired, double action/single action pistol.

The P320, on the other hand, is a polymer framed striker fired pistol with a totally different trigger mechanism. To simplify the description, the trigger mechanism is the serial numbered part and is considered the firearm. Grip frames, slides, etc are just considered parts.

It is a totally modular pistol. It allows interchangeable frames to fit different sized hands and comes in full size, carry size, compact or sub-compact frames. it also allows different size slides to be fitted that will also allow some caliber changes to be done. All on the same firearm.
Like a Lego set, you can swap parts out and set it up to fit your hand size and what you will be using it for (Duty, Sport, concealed carry, etc), while keeping the same trigger feel and pull.

For example, a compact grip module is $40. If you have a full size pistol, you can just swap one of these and you will have a compact framed pistol that will conceals better. Each grip module is also available in large, medium and small to fit different size hands.

Motorpsycho
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Motorpsycho » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:02 pm

xl_target wrote:

Motorpsycho,

The P220 is a really nice pistol but it is of more conventional design. It is a alloy framed, steel slide, hammer fired, double action/single action pistol.

Sir,

This was my first firearm I ever fired, I was speaking in comparison with the 1911 I had fired the same day with the P220. Liked the SIG more than the 1911, though I was a 1911 fan prior to this.

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:31 am

Motorpsycho,
It is hard to convey tone in a forum post. I did not mean to come across as disagreeing with your post.
Please realize that I was not criticizing or belittling your post or your experience in any way.
I'm glad that you got to fire a P220 and a 1911. I like both those handguns very much and enjoy shooting them.
BTW if you like Sig's alloy framed P series handguns, I did a review of one of them HERE.

AgentDoubleS
Poster of the month - Apr 2015

Post by AgentDoubleS » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:08 am

Thanks for sharing this xl_target. I had always wondered why polymer framed striker fired pistols were not adopted by the US defence forces sooner?

The only polymer framed pistol I've shot is the glock 17. The trigger felt awkward and the double stacked magazine made the grip unergonomic for my hands. However, if I ever have the opportunity to own a decent firearm for self defence the glock would be my choice not just for reliability but most importantly the simplicity of use, light weight and ease of EDC. The 1911 on the other hand was a miracle. The best trigger I've ever used on any firearm, superb grip and balance and minimal recoil for a .45.

I'm digressing, coming back to the topic. Does this move affect the civilian market? Prices come down due to higher production? It gets more popular as an EDC? More options for Spare parts and accessories?

The customisation on the standard firearm does stand out in the P320.

Cheers,
SS

P.s. I wonder if the officers model will still come in chrome? :)

Motorpsycho
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Motorpsycho » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:19 pm

xl_target wrote:Motorpsycho,
It is hard to convey tone in a forum post. I did not mean to come across as disagreeing with your post.
Please realize that I was not criticizing or belittling your post or your experience in any way.
HERE.
Sir,

I certainly did not take your post as an argument or a disagreement, on the contrary if found it quite educational, probably my reply should have been worded better. I apologize, if my post came across so.

Going forward, I will go through your P series post, I have a question I will post there.

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:59 am

AgentDoubleS wrote:Thanks for sharing this xl_target. I had always wondered why polymer framed striker fired pistols were not adopted by the US defence forces sooner?

The only polymer framed pistol I've shot is the glock 17. The trigger felt awkward and the double stacked magazine made the grip unergonomic for my hands. However, if I ever have the opportunity to own a decent firearm for self defence the glock would be my choice not just for reliability but most importantly the simplicity of use, light weight and ease of EDC. The 1911 on the other hand was a miracle. The best trigger I've ever used on any firearm, superb grip and balance and minimal recoil for a .45.

I'm digressing, coming back to the topic. Does this move affect the civilian market? Prices come down due to higher production? It gets more popular as an EDC? More options for Spare parts and accessories?

The customisation on the standard firearm does stand out in the P320.

Cheers,
SS

P.s. I wonder if the officers model will still come in chrome? :)
SS,
Militaries tend to be rather conservative and hidebound. Durability and reliability in the field is considered paramount. For many soldiers of previous generations, polymer framed pistols were considered to be not as durable as metal framed pistols. This is not necessarily true anymore and as younger generations of soldiers have risen up in the ranks, they are more accepting of polymer frames.
Today, Glock pistols are accepted as being rugged and reliable. This was not so when the Beretta was selected as the service pistol. You have to realize that the Beretta M9 was adopted by the US Army in 1985. The Glock was first produced for the Austrian armed forces trials in 1982. It was new and had no track record (apart from winning the Austrian tests). By the way, I have the exact same observations about the Glock and the 1911 that you did.

Due to the costs of supplying an entire force as large as the US Army with a new pistol, you pretty much have to wait till your current stocks of pistols have reached their end of life. Other tests were held in prior years but now it is becoming critically important to replace the existing inventories. Two long lasting wars in the middle east have made it imperative to start replacing worn out pistols. The Army had a choice of selecting a new pistol or ordering more Berettas.
When such a large number of pistols have to be purchased, cost is also a factor. The P320 was apparently offered at a lower cost than the Glock but I think the modularity of the pistol had a lot to do with the selection. There are many women in the Army now and I'm sure that some of them would welcome being able to use a smaller grip frame

As far as the civvy market is considered, the P320 was gaining popularity in sporting circles before the Army's decision was announced. Prices might go up in the short term as the demand will rise. However, when the bulk of the Army's pistols have been delivered, I think we will see cost start to edge down. I also expect more law enforcement agencies to start using the P320 now. While Glocks continue to be popular, I think Sig, with their P320, will now become one of their main competitors. Keep in mind that, at present, this order is for the US Army only, though I suspect that the Air Force and Navy will follow suit.

With coatings such as Cerakote and Duracoat now being commonly offered on factory guns, I don't see any big problems with offering a silver or simulated chrome slide if it was desired. In the US Army, officers generally use the same pistols as NCO's and other ranks. It was only general officers who used to be offered a special pistol.
However, today the standard issue pistol for a General is still the Beretta M9.

Currently, US Army Regulation 725-1 lists the following as equipment authorized for a general officer:
Pistol with equipment.

One each pistol, 9MM, NSN 1005–01–118–2640 will be issued to general officers with the following accessorial equipment. Items (1) through (3), below, will be issued as a nonreimbursable set:

(1) Holster, Pistol, Hip, NSN 1095–01–220–0692.

(2) Pocket, Ammunition, Magazine, NSN 1095–01–220–0691.

(3) Magazine, Cartridge, 9mm, two each, NSN 1005–01–204–4376.

(4) Rod, Cleaning, Small Arms, NSN 1005–00–556–4102.

(5) Brush, Cleaning, Small Arms, NSN 1005–00–716–2132.

(6) Operator Manual, TM 9–1005–317–10.
(Nato Stock Number) NSN 1005–01–118–2640 is a Beretta M9

Of course, being a general has its perks. Who was going to tell General Patton that he could not wear his ivory handled revolvers?
In the Gulf war, if General (Stormin' Norman) Schwarzkopf had decided he was going to carry a bazooka as a side arm, i don't think anyone would have said anything :)

AgentDoubleS

Post by AgentDoubleS » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:20 pm

Thanks for the insightful information, xl. In a time where ergonomics and customisation is a given, it's only appropriate to choose a modular firearm for the soldiers.

On a related not, not to be left behind, the government of India has finally ordered new helmets for the soldiers of the India army.

Cheers,
SS

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:30 pm

SS lets not take this OT, I think the procurement of new ballistic helmets for Indian army deserves it's own thread. Maybe you/ other members may like to start a thread discussing that and the current head protection (patkas) that the fauj is using.

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein