handgun for woman

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
colbaa
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

handgun for woman

Post by colbaa » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:41 pm

I am a working woman, recently got an all India licence for a NP bore revolver/pistol. I don't want to spend exorbitant amount on a handgun, hence my choice is limited to a OF make .32 revolver/pistol. Need your valuable suggestions Please .

For Advertising mail webmaster
colbaa
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Re: handgun for woman

Post by colbaa » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:25 pm

I think this post makes a lot of sense

"bobbysidhu
Re: .32 I.O.F Revolver vs .32 ASHANI Pistol
Postby bobbysidhu » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:23 pm

Dear Surgeon,
This discussion has no ends but i wish to tell some hard facts about boththe IOF products from my own practical working experienceon these devices, here it goes:
Revolver:
1) more moving parts means more wear and tear,revolver has about 15 components on the run when u pull the trigger! dont forget that these r poorly machined or are completely left without machining.
2) if you happen to drop a revolver chances are100% that it will go out of time,fixing this problem requires lot of time and also is expensive even if it is S&W.this however still is IOF!
3) The chambers,cylinder and barrel on the average are poorly fitted and machined with all sorts of problems!
4) Ballistically, revolver cartridge develops about 3.5 Tons per square inch of pressure as compared to 7.5 tons with pistol ammo.(means more power)
5)Aiming and shooting with this revolver is difficult at it has higher point of discharge of projectile from the arm thrustline.therefore difficult to place shots accurately one after the other.The ammo is also not upm to the mark sometimes (corrosive primer)
Pistol
1.only 7 major parts come in action with the pull of trigger!
2. sturdy ,not affected if accidently dropped
3.barrel assembly is on the average acceptable on IOF pistol in most of the cases.
4,linear motion so easy to place shots subsequently point of discharge of projectile ismuch closer to the arm thrustline.
5.ammo on the average is OK, except sometimes the cases are little poorly machined in certain lotsthat makes feeding little erratic(this again can be taken care of).
dont forget that pistol is easy to maintain, shoot and carry,

BTW dont fool yourself buy thinking about the flying cases or the post crime forensics! i believe u dont want to go on a killing spree! :!: if you still do, then either of these won't serve your purpose :lol:"

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:49 am

colbaa

In india you have two revolvers now IOF 32 and 22 caliber -- wheel guns typically are easy to maintain and simple to shoot; IOF ashani pistol will need some training and getting used to. These three are good options; also depends on your budget; Good luck and do read safety recommendations on properly handling and discharging guns. I personally would recommend a revolver but go out there try all three see what suites you best
Cheers

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:15 am

colbaa, what Bobby Sidhu and ngrewal have said is correct. You will have to decide, you are comfortable using which one? Following crucial differences are there between the two -

1. Revolver capacity is usually six cartridges, pistol magazine capacity is usually more than six cartridges. Even one more or less quick shot can mean your life or death.

2. If the cartridge in revolver misfires, without thinking, you instinctively just pull the trigger again, it fires the next cartridge. If the cartridge misfires in pistol, you will have to manually recycle the slide of pistol to eject the misfired cartridge and put next cartridge into the firing chamber. This can mean nothing to an experienced or trained user, he will do it instinctively just using his reflexes. But it may also freeze or cause panic in an inexperienced or untrained user. This may mean the death of such panicked user who does not know how to fire the next cartridge without wasting time.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

Vineet
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vineet » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:24 pm

colbaa wrote:I am a working woman, recently got an all India licence for a NP bore revolver/pistol. I don't want to spend exorbitant amount on a handgun, hence my choice is limited to a OF make .32 revolver/pistol. Need your valuable suggestions Please .
How did you manage to get all India license....can you please share your experience.....
Vineet Armoury
Arms, Ammunition & Accessories.

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:30 pm

Buy the cheapest revolver available from IOF and send it to BobbySidhu to work on. It will still be cheaper than the age old junk available at exorbitant prices in our beloved country.

Once you have done that buy few autoloaders and practice hard, you are set!

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

pistolero
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pistolero » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:01 pm

Dear Colbaa,

IMHO while the choice of weapon is important, it is the person behind the weapon, who makes the difference.

I suggest, you join a Rifle/Gun Club at the earliest and get familiar with both the Pistol & The revolver. Getting used to the recoil and the noise, the gun makes is really important. You will also experience the workings of both types of weapons, and can choose based on your competence.

Getting a few shots down range with both .32 and .22 LRs will give you a good idea, of what you are getting into.

Finally whatever weapon you choose, it will boil down to practice and mindset.

The best defense is to run (IMHO), but when you cant, you now have the means to counter any attack as long as you know what you are doing.

Practice makes perfect.

Regards,
Pistolero
"Whatever is begun in anger ends in shame."

colbaa
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by colbaa » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:18 pm

Thanks everyone for your prompt response. Getting the licence was was no issue, it took about a month from applying. I think being in Govt. service helped.

I am aware that both (pistol & revolver) are obsolete designs...my question is about the quality... which is better in terms of fit & finish; also more durable & value for money... Thanks
Last edited by colbaa on Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:03 pm

colbaa wrote:I am aware that both (pistol & revolver) are obsolete designs...my question is about the quality... which is better in terms of fit & finish; also more durable & value for money... Thanks
Quality generally of IOF is unpredictable. Decide whether to purchase revolver or pistol and get it's quality, tolerances corrected and refined by Bobby Sidhu as told by kanwar76.

I think there is some exemption to soldiers while in service to possess one or two firearms without license. Since you are familiar firing 9 mm Luger, how about exploring this route and possessing 9 mm Luger and then applying for license?
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

pistolero
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pistolero » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:11 pm

This subject has been discussed time and again.

A search of the Forum for IOF .32 Revolver vs Ashani Pistol will give you lot of links

IOF is well for the lack of a better word IOF, quality is not in their

Ashani will have my vote. As advised by members its best to get it looked over by a good gunsmith.

I am sure there will be several on the forum who will agree and disagree :) with Ashani as a choice

Regards,
-P
"Whatever is begun in anger ends in shame."

james
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by james » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:58 pm

For anyone if - practice once in a week Pistol or revolver. For someone who has no time for practice and maintenance of magazine etc -Revolver. That's my experience . James..

Hammerhead
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Hammerhead » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:16 am

That's a good ................ revolver in ............ hands . No offense.

This guy takes the cake for safety violations. Points a dead lock loaded to all :shock:

Get into some safety classes and any firearm can be better for protection
Last edited by Hammerhead on Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:14 am, edited 3 times in total.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:44 am

In the last video displaying firing of shotgun and the revolver towards the sky, the person with revolver is showing no sense of safe gun handling. He is talking on his mobile and swinging his arm around pointing his revolver towards camera and other persons. I am among the first persons to hurriedly leave these kind of venues like marriage parties etc. when these kind of things are likely to happen(especially after drinking).

colbaa
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by colbaa » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:34 pm

The exemptions granted to the military personnel contains in Defence Service Regulations issued by the Government of India. I can afford and also don't mind spending Rs 1 lakhs on a handgun for the peace of mind it gives.
Last edited by colbaa on Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:01 am

Personally, I would go for the IOF .32 revolver. If getting out that first shot without fumbling is important for self-defence, then a revolver in the Indian context makes a lot of sense. It is the cheapest of the lot,IIRC, reliable and can be worked upon by a competent gunsmith to make it quite serviceable.

We do not have affordable decent pistols in India that would allow you to confidently carry one with a round in the chamber. There could be a few Colt .45s but they are not going to be cheap.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."