Colt 1911 38 Super or Ruger GP100 357 Mag?

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
HydNawab
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Colt 1911 38 Super or Ruger GP100 357 Mag?

Post by HydNawab » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:37 pm

Hi Guys

I wanted to get an opinion from you guys regarding my handgun.

I recently bought a Colt 1911 38 Super pistol in nickel.Now, I am being offered a Ruger GP100 357 Mag 4" barrel in blue and on top of that I get Rs.2 lacs cash if I exchange it.

I fired my 38 super today at the range and its really smooth with less noise and an easy recoil but its not man enough for me I think.May be I am comparing it to my Colt Lawman MkV 357 Mag which was a snubbie and made a hell of a noise and it had a very hard recoil.

What do you guys suggest, should I go in for it?

Cheers

Ashar
'It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze'.

'You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.'

-- Al Capone

For Advertising mail webmaster
badshah0522
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by badshah0522 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:40 pm

How much did u paid for 1911??
"Strength is not about how strong u can kick, it's about how strong the life is kicking u and u standup again to keep on going"

HydNawab
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Colt 1911 38 Super or Ruger GP100 357 Mag?

Post by HydNawab » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:43 pm

I paid Rs.7 lacs with 100 cartridges.

Ashar
'It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze'.

'You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.'

-- Al Capone

badshah0522
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by badshah0522 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:44 pm

Can u post pictures of the expensive beauty.
"Strength is not about how strong u can kick, it's about how strong the life is kicking u and u standup again to keep on going"

Risala
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Risala » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:38 pm

Ashar,

Personally am a semi-auto freak,but the 2 L & swap for a Ruger in 357 gives it a twist :)

I would make my decision largely on the availability of ammo,.357 i think can be more easily

sourced than .38 Auto,under the circumstances would go for the Ruger.

cheers

Sanjay

PS a friend of one of the members picked up th Perrazi MX 8 from Ambala for 4.75 L.

Got a call yesterday from the same bloke pushing the MX 8 that a NIB Browning O/U has surfaced

somewhere in Haryana,he wouldnt disclose details.

HydNawab
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by HydNawab » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:30 pm

The pictures of the Colt 1911 38 Super as requested.

Cheers

Ashar

-- Al Capone

badshah0522
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by badshah0522 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:18 pm

Very good condition. It worths that much.

jonahpach
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jonahpach » Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:27 am

Hmmm does not look like a pre 1980's (before import ban) model so.. Where could this model have surfaced from?? .. Despite our raves and rants regarding unavailability of choice of guns in India Ashar seems to prove the age old adge "Money changes thing"

Jonah
Speak softly and carry a big gun!

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:27 am

Question - What all parts would be needed to change the calibre of a 1911/ 1911A1 from .38 super to .45 ACP? Or .45 ACP to 9mm parabellum etc. etc.?

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:28 am

It`s difficult to tell which model the pistol is because of the poor photographs which are out of focus and have been taken against a shiny backdrop causing even more problems but it doesn`t appear to be a Series 80 or later so was probably legitimately imported before 1981.

The front and rear sights are not factory original and not gunsmith fitted. The adjustable rear sight should have been machined down to fit flat on the slide - not sticking up in the air. Because it is so high a high front leaf has had to be fitted to match.

The .38 Super is by no means a runt but doesn`t make as much power as the .357 mag - or the .45 ACP.

We`ve already discussed the lack of availability of .38 Super ammunition in India so this can`t be a good buy in that respect. The .357 mag is a good calibre.......but I have a personal dislike of the GP100. If it is in good condition it is logically a more sensible purchase than a pistol you can`t buy ammunition for. GP100s are usually accurate and reliable - just ugly ( IMO ! )

"Question - What all parts would be needed to change the calibre of a 1911/ 1911A1 from .38 super to .45 ACP? Or .45 ACP to 9mm parabellum etc. etc.?"

Off the top of my head Abhijeet, I reckon that the list will be as follows:

Slide.
Slide stop.
Barrel.
Barrel bushing.
Return spring.
Firing pin.
Ejector.
Extractor.
Magazine assembly.

Plus fitting.

It would be cheaper to buy a used pistol.

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:29 am

Hey Nice gun!

marksman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by marksman » Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:26 am

hmmmmm..... Meprolite adjustable sights, lowered ejection port, 9+1 shot mag, satin nickel finish, Pachmayr Legendary grip, post 80 model, beautiful pistol but,..... a bit too expensive in imho. as compared to An original colt (post ww2) in Colt charcoal blue (95%) which went for much less last year from a gun dealers shop in M'bai for the fact that it was in cal. 38 super.
Marksman
ps: hang on to it all your life Ashar. Money power is the only way these days to procure a good fire arm. I personally don't mind over paying if it was my dream gun. Trading it off with GP-100 is a big NO NO, buddy. Happy shooting.
Exercise in Logic:
Given that there are far more good guys than bad guys, what would happen if all good guys and all bad guys were armed???......Simple, isn't it ?---Jeff Cooper

"Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't
be any India because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our
women and breed a hardier race!"

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:12 pm

Grumpy";p="28430 wrote:"Question - What all parts would be needed to change the calibre of a 1911/ 1911A1 from .38 super to .45 ACP? Or .45 ACP to 9mm parabellum etc. etc.?"

Off the top of my head Abhijeet, I reckon that the list will be as follows:

Slide.
Slide stop.
Barrel.
Barrel bushing.
Return spring.
Firing pin.
Ejector.
Extractor.
Magazine assembly.

Plus fitting.

It would be cheaper to buy a used pistol.
Grumps,

The reason why I asked was the astronomic price that HydNawab has paid for the 1911 in .38 super... Got me thinking that if my own 1911A1 could be re-chambered for a NPB calibre - it would suddenly appreciate in value by a tidy amount! ;)

Two options strike me as possibilities here -

1. Get the required parts and have a licensed dealer fit them, to legally change the calibre to a NPB one. I would then have to give up the .45 option permanently though...

2. Acquire the required parts and get the second barrel entered on the same license, thus allowing you to have 2 different calibres on the same license - therefore freeing up 1 more (out of the limit of 3 max) arms license for another gun...

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

Hunter
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Hunter » Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:29 pm

Hi Ashar,

Firstly let me add that the Colt you have displayed above is really a work of art .
The added attractions are the meprolight sights,nickel finish and the grips.
The ammunition for the caliber maybe a tad difficult to obtain and personally I think you would be better off with the nearly indestructable Ruger GP-100 in the versatile .357mag caliber.

Happy shooting!

mashh1
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by mashh1 » Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:31 pm

Grumpy other than a complete top end, i think the frame feed ramp on most 45 frames is cut much deeper into the mag well and at a steeper angle than frames made for 9mm/38 Super/10mm. This difference can cause feed jams when trying to convert such frames to smaller calibers. If you can get past the frame feedramp problem, then ABhijeet you will surely need a complete top end in 9mm or 38 Super, magazines, slide stop, and ejector.
I have seen conversion kit by Peters Stahl (Germany) on net that is multi caliber. Problem is trying to find a source in our side of map.
38 super is a semi-rimmed cartridge often loaded to lower pressures usually at par with 9mm +p level due to compatibility with older 38 ACP, while this cartridge would headspace on the semi-rim till early 70s,which caused serious accuracy problems, however all new .38 Super pistols headspace on the case mouth. in its true glory it will fall in the mid territory of 357 magnum and will be as flat shooting and accurate as 357 will be. but it is a Hand loader's cartridge today.
my father had a colt 38 super which is with my elder brother. Due to very high prices and scarcity of ammunition (last time I bought FMJ Round for @220 per bullet, at this rate I can buy Black Talons for 9mm) i traded my Berretta 9mm to get that colt. I will try to swap top ends of my Ithaca and colt and will post how it goes although I think an ejector that will work with both calibers will have to be fabricated.
For OP question regarding swap, I think colt has more strong following than Ruger as they have more bulk and action of Ruger is not very smooth but ammo availability is a very important factor for any firearm. And if you can buy that costly gun, in my very honest opinion please keep the BOTH.
regards