Remaining US Govt stock of WWII M1911’s pistols to be sold to Public

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Remaining US Govt stock of WWII M1911’s pistols to be sold to Public

Post by mundaire » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:03 pm

http://www.guns.com/2015/05/08/house-ad ... rough-cmp/

https://mikerogers.house.gov/press-rele ... e-firearms

The upcoming National Defense Authorization Act that passed committee includes a plan to transfer the U.S. Army’s remaining stock of .45 ACP 1911A1 pistols to the Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP).

Added as an amendment by Rep. Mike Rogers, R-Alabama, while the NDAA was in debate in the House Armed Service Committee, this would lead to the largest remaining stock of military surplus World War II-era pistols (in US Govt hands) being sold to the public.
Rep. Mike Rogers wrote:As a gun owner and strong believer in the Second Amendment, my proposal is a common-sense approach to eliminating an unnecessary cost to the Federal government while allowing the very capable CMP to handle the sale of these vintage firearms that otherwise would just sit in storage
The US military currently spends about $2 per year to store 100,000 Model 1911s that are surplus to the Army’s needs.

This makes me wonder how much our own Indian government spends on storing surplus arms and ammunition? Why don't they just liquidate these stocks to licensed arms dealers or better still individual arms licensees? Ah yes! Because we still follow the colonial era calibre restrictions, which disallow civilians from owning government issue calibres :roll:
“This amendment is a win – win for the taxpayer. I was pleased the amendment passed the committee and appreciate the support my colleagues on this proposal,” Rogers said.
The CMP is a federally chartered non-profit corporation tasked with promoting firearms safety training and rifle practice. It originated as the Office of the Director of Civilian Marksmanship in 1903 under orders from Congress to improve the country’s marksmanship skills to minimize training in case of war. Split off from the U.S. Army under the Clinton-administration in 1996, it still conducts training courses and holds shooting competitions nationwide but draws its primary source of funding through the sale of surplus firearms to qualifying members of the public which were donated to the organization by the Army.
“Not only is this is an organization that is committed to training civilians in the proper, responsible, and safe use of firearms, but at a cost of roughly $2.00 per pistol per year to store these weapons, we were spending $200,000 a year in perpetuity,” said Rep. Steve Russell, R-Oklahoma, who voted for the successful amendment. “This sensible change will save the taxpayers millions over the years to come, as well as aid a great organization that serves the public.”
Congressman Mike Rogers made the following remarks after passage of the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) of 2016 out of the House Armed Services Committee (HASC), which included his amendment to allow the Army to transfer its surplus vintage firearms to the Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP).
“As a gun owner and strong believer in the Second Amendment, my proposal is a common-sense approach to eliminating an unnecessary cost to the Federal government while allowing the very capable CMP to handle the sale of these vintage firearms that otherwise would just sit in storage. This amendment is a win – win for the taxpayer. I was pleased the amendment passed the committee and appreciate the support my colleagues on this proposal,” Rogers said.
Currently, the Army stores excess M1911A1 pistols, which used to be the standard U.S. Armed Forces sidearm, until it was replace by the Berretta 9mm pistol. Besides the 8,300 pistols that have been sold to law enforcement and transferred to foreign countries for a small price, the rest of the M1911A1 pistols are now being held in storage costing the taxpayer around $200,000 a year.

Transferring these vintage pistols to the CMP would allow them to inspect, grade, prepare for sale and sell these pistols. The CMP would reimburse the Army for costs associated with transferring the pistols.
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

For Advertising mail webmaster
sa_ali
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Remaining US Govt stock of WWII M1911’s pistols to be sold to Public

Post by sa_ali » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:49 pm

This is the way to go a very logical decision, save money of tax payer being spent in storage, on item, which they know they are not going to be using.

India i am sure has loads on WWII stuff, the legendary stuff, which would be much better in hands of keen collectors, instead of rotting and rusting in malkhanas

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Remaining US Govt stock of WWII M1911’s pistols to be sold to Public

Post by ckkalyan » Wed May 11, 2016 12:33 am

A great idea, well worth emulating! (y) Thanks for sharing mundaire. :D

:cheers:
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!