Old 2nd Hand Imported vs. New IOF Guns

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
saahil
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

IOF revolver or pistol.

Post by saahil » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:06 pm

hi all,
i'm planning to upgrade from .22 ofb rev to something of .32 caliber. i know both iof rev and pistol are far below the quality standards. but if i have to pick and choose one of the two which is the better option.im more inclined towards pistol and i have heard that a shop in amritsar (gunaccessory.com) can modify and improve the looks of iof pistols. now the learned members please help me because im in real dilemma. thanks.waiting for your replies.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Risala
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: IOF revolver or pistol.

Post by Risala » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:39 am

Bet the two I would go for the IOF Revolver,heard good things about it as against the pistol.
This when I myself enjoy not only shooting but also own a pistol ,but it is not manufatired by the IOF :)
Sanjay

james
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by james » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:49 am

As per indian weapon revolver is better,i personally prefer pistols provided you are shooting with walther or anything at par,jamming in indian pistol is normal and fast loading at time of need is not fact as old type of magzine release system is there.I would suggest revolver and if could get speed loader,is the best option...Regards James

art_collector
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by art_collector » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:28 am

................well havent fired a pistol or a revolver but have seen the small modifications done by gun accessory....hmm and they do a good job. The basic look of your pistol changes.
They remove the chrome polish and reblue it instead . Put in a new modified slide on top of the existing one, repair the magazine so that the cartridge dosent get stuck (which it usually does) and remove the dumb looking plastic grips and replace it with nice wooden grips . The net result it dosent look an IOF pistol anymore. The only give away is the marking etc . which they take care do not get erased or altered. They do a similar makeup of the revolver and that too looks great......and comparing Delhi prices they are reasonable.
The best advise you can get on the subject what to buy is to speak to the owner of gun accessory.....a nice decent Sadarji ( an Ex Army guy) who is a pleasure to meet. Just drop them an email or simply call them and that should help.

AC

Olly
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Olly » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:03 pm

art_collector,
Do give an idea of the prices u know, about which they charged for a service...

I am in the process of getting wooden grips for the IOF rev. and a comparison of prices would be welcome...

The ASHANI pistol of IOF does not have good reviews, although it is small & compact. Main problems are the slide and jamming cartridges....

saahil
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by saahil » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:38 am

hi all
thanks to all members of ifg who took pain to answer my query.but im still confused because my heart and brain both casting different votes. thanks a lot. take care you all.

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:44 am

saahil";p="24185 wrote:hi all
thanks to all members of ifg who took pain to answer my query.but im still confused because my heart and brain both casting different votes. thanks a lot. take care you all.
Go for the IOF pistol.

Why?- The rework/modification(As in legal modifications), enhancement and 'upgrades' are generally easier in pistols than in Revolvers. Also if you are in a "fur flying" situation a pistol affords you a quicker reload provided you have spare magazines and decent ammo. The folks at gunacessory.com are also offering a 12 round magazine(though somewhat expensive) its a big leap over the low capacity factory magazine. Try that with a revolver (an IOF one at that!)

else you'll have to settle for a Foreign piece at ridiculously bloated prices.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:12 pm

Saahil,

While I personally prefer semi-auto pistols over revolvers, do keep in mind the fact that (even after a complete refinish by an expert gunsmith) poor quality Indian ammo could possibly result in jams - something which could potentially make a sticky situation even stickier!!

In a revolver, even if 1 round misfires you just have to pull the trigger again to chamber and fire the next round. If the same thing happens in an auto, you'll need to manually cycle the slide - something which can be difficult to remember if you are in a tight spot... besides it taking a few seconds more time - which could make all the difference between walking out alive and coming to serious harm....

Also, pistols do require a bit more training for safe handling.

That said, if you do decide on the pistol, you can always load it with imported ammo for self defence carry and use the Indian made ammo only for practice...

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:54 pm

For those who own an IOF revolver,keep in mind that its a copy of the old webley/enfield revolver and does not incorporate a hammer block safety.So a sharp blow on the hammer( for eg. in case it falls and the hammer hits something hard) can make it go forward with sufficient force to fire a cartridge.Therefore the safe way to carry it would be with the chamber under the hammer unloaded.The safety is a nuisance and should be left in the 'off' position.

penpusher

Rudra
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Rudra » Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:08 pm

dear sahil
in my opinion u should go for an IOF Revolver
because as per the lock is concerned u cannot carry the IOF pistol fully loaded i.e with a cartridge in the breech.
so in that case u require both of ur hands to fire the first shot but in revolver u dont have such problem. just purchase two to three jet loaders and find ur self fully loaded :lol:

Lawman
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Lawman » Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:22 pm

Hi, Saahil, how is your .22 IOF revolver? How long you are using the revolver ? I require your comments regarding your .22 IOF revolver as I have decided to purchase .22 IOF revolver. AND

I think it would be better for you to upgrade your arms by purchasing .32 IOF revolver as the IOF Pistol’s waiting period is more than 10 months :cry:

Lawman

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:43 pm

The waiting period for the .22 IOF revolver,I believe, is more than a year.

penpusher

art_collector
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by art_collector » Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:51 pm

....well what ever firearms u buy...keep the ammo u have to use in mind ...the ..22 revolver is unfit for indian ammunition ....it fires only .22 Eley which does not come in the import policy and hence cannot be imported, dealers dont sell eley ammunition...guess where does one find ammunition for it....and the whole of lst year 32 KF pistol ammo was not available any where . Mercifully its now available in a delhi with a few shops....but u go outside delhi u have the same problem ammunition nahi hai......

AC

diskaon
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by diskaon » Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:35 pm

You planning to sell your 0.22 :-)
klick klack..... diskaon

Risala
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Risala » Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:45 pm

art_collector";p="26266 wrote:t....and the whole of lst year 32 KF pistol ammo was not available any where . Mercifully its now available in a delhi with a few shops....but u go outside delhi u have the same problem ammunition nahi hai......

AC
AC

Where is it available in Delhi,pl drop a pm need to buy some asap.

PS at what price.

Cheers

Sanjay