Walther P22 cracked slide

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
VJ
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Walther P22 cracked slide

Post by VJ » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:05 am

Okay I am changing my opnion on the Walther P22. The slide cracked on this one.......
Well have been using this gun for while now and since the ammunition is cheap and have guests come and go have used it extensively. Like always after every visit to the range it gets a good clean up and oil. Cant say for sure how many but it has probably seen 3000 plus rounds fired through it. This weekend after 400 rounds of Remington subsonic rounds (there were quite a few of us at the range) came home and was going to start taking it down and see this crack on the slide which is metal (this has a polymer body frame). Have to take it to the store and see if they can do something to it.
Any reason someone can think what could have caused it? It did'nt fall down or was not bangged against anythings, but it did get jammed twice. Would this crack propogate further, is there a way to prevent it from?
Also the rifeling is almost non existant now and the gun was severly foiled on the inside when I was cleaning the barrel and had to go and get a scrubber to get it going before even the brush could pass through. It is clean now but am hesitant to take it to the range. Any thoughts?

The crack is towards the top side on the right where the ribs end.
Picture: http://www.flickr.com/photos/14056272@N06/

For Advertising mail webmaster
Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:04 am

VJ

Thats quite strange this pistol is touted as police training guns and should put up with some usage. Best thing as you mentioned is visit to a gunsmith.

Best

Rudra
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Walther P22 cracked slide

Post by Rudra » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:41 pm

But a good gunsmith not the one who could just use his vocal chords only

Regards
Rudra

VJ
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by VJ » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:45 pm

Sorry for the mis-information the "crack" in the slide is actually a feature to check if the chamber is loaded I had not noticed it yet (which is horrible on my part). Luckily was searching online and found that out so was not a laughing stock of the store, just the web.
About the rifleing have to go and have that looked at this week.

VJ

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Walther P22 cracked slide

Post by Mark » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:37 am

Hey don't feel bad I had a 45 automatic with a cut in the chamber of the barrel for the same reason. It took me a while to figure it out too!
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:55 am

VJ

Good - all well ends wells.

best
NG