My IOF Modified 0.32 Pistol

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
to_saptarshi
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: My IOF Modified 0.32 Pistol

Post by to_saptarshi » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:36 am

ckkalyan wrote:
to_saptarshi wrote:The frame and slide both has been changed . Are they allowed to do that ?
I am guessing that almost any modification is legally possible because an Arms Licence usually mentions only DBBL or SBBL, NPB or PB (I think).

IIRC - There are no real, specific regulations on modifications, in the law. Over to goodboy_mentor the resident expert on such matters! :)

What about serial numbers? Are they engraving it into new frame and removing it from old one ? In US you need to do a FFL transfer for frame, rest everything is legal and no FFL involvement is needed .

Also how we are ensuring the quality of steel used in frame and in slide and there PSI capacity and durability in terms of seafty and longibility ?
Thanks and Regards,
Saptarshi

For Advertising mail webmaster
joybiswas
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by joybiswas » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:21 pm

A dealer holding a license under Form IX can convert a firearms, now form IX is a manufacturer's license no handgun private manufacture are available in India, hence this concept of conversion of iof pistol is illegal and the end user will be liable for penal action as he has to proof that the handgun was modified by someone other than himself...

Added in 3 minutes 29 seconds:
A dealer holding a license under Form IX can convert a firearms, now form IX is a manufacturer's license no handgun private manufacture are available in India, hence this concept of conversion of iof pistol is illegal and the end user will be liable for penal action as he has to proof that the handgun was modified by someone other than himself...

Added in 8 minutes 11 seconds:
Next time you are going for modification ask for a bill for the modification charges or ask the dealer to endorse on the license that the firearm has been converted. If this is indeed legal dealers would endorse it else you know why they won't.......

GNV
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by GNV » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:52 pm

I think from legal view modification of a firearm means converting a semi auto to full auto or changing the caliber of a gun, changing the barrel length and adding sound suppressors and such, and that these cosmetic modifications are not illegal. Is adding a scope rail to an IOF 0.315 Rifle illegal?

joybiswas
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by joybiswas » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:47 am

scopes are external attachments which can be added or removed and and when required, modification of the entire weapon is illegal as you cannot bring the firearm back to its original state....

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:14 pm

to_saptarshi wrote:What about serial numbers? Are they engraving it into new frame and removing it from old one ? In US you need to do a FFL transfer for frame, rest everything is legal and no FFL involvement is needed .
Also how we are ensuring the quality of steel used in frame and in slide and there PSI capacity and durability in terms of seafty and longibility ?
You are quite right in pointing out the FFL and legal regulations in the States; almost all of these apply to import/export to Canada as well as the 'actual GUN being the receiver' is numbered and sale recorded, the rest is modifiable.

In India however, I was trying to say that there are no such 'real, specific, enforceable laws' in place, most things are played by ear and if one gets into trouble...then the situation amplifies and gets escalated AND your kitchen knife over 12" long could be held against you. Again this is as per my knowledge and experience, IIRC.

Thanks to joybiswas and GNV pitching in with their views - illuminating in the Indian scenario. :)
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

GNV
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by GNV » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:04 pm

joybiswas wrote:scopes are external attachments which can be added or removed and and when required, modification of the entire weapon is illegal as you cannot bring the firearm back to its original state....
Dealers are selling modified ASHANIs. When a buyer purchases a weapon he invariably gets a bill of sale to show to the LA when getting the weapon to enter on his license. So it is all legal at that point. If some trouble arises later who gets into trouble? The dealer or the buyer?

Also, Is adding a ventilated rib to ASHANI also illegal? since it would be welded permanently to the slide. A friend of mine own an old Webly 0.32 Revolver (somewhat identical to our IOF one) which has no safety catch. I advised him to get one installed. Would that be illegal? I just want to improve my knowledge.

Regards

joybiswas
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by joybiswas » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:08 pm

if the webley factory was in India then the problem would arise, for ashani it is made in India so altering it will land the user in trouble. Dealers sell the modified handgun without mentioning about the modifications. Ask any one of them to endorse on the license or the bill that it has been modified you will get the answer you seek.
My apologies to all, my post are not meant to spoil someone's party, all i wanted was to clear the confusion with reference to the arms act about the legality of modification of ashani. Users can decide for themselves henceforth.....

nbk3y7k
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by nbk3y7k » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:26 pm

Joy, i checked with local authorities and unless there is no change on the barrel like length and caliber, it is not illegal. Also, the weapon is inspected by the Commissioner office before endorsement on the license , and once you pass that ---- how is it illegal? Several school of thoughts still persist....
Regards,
RR

joybiswas
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by joybiswas » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:03 pm

License authorities donot take a picture of the endorsed firearm, in case of a dispute you need to prove that the weapon had not been modified after you bought it. An individual's Understanding of the arms act dosenot change the law, you need form IX to convert fireamrs, no such license is issed to anyone in India as there are no private handgun manufacturer's....
My advise to all fellow ifgian's before altering your ashani give it a thought or ask for written proof to avoid any hassles in the future.

nbk3y7k
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by nbk3y7k » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:46 pm

to_saptarshi wrote:
ckkalyan wrote:
to_saptarshi wrote:The frame and slide both has been changed . Are they allowed to do that ?
I am guessing that almost any modification is legally possible because an Arms Licence usually mentions only DBBL or SBBL, NPB or PB (I think).

IIRC - There are no real, specific regulations on modifications, in the law. Over to goodboy_mentor the resident expert on such matters! :)

What about serial numbers? Are they engraving it into new frame and removing it from old one ? In US you need to do a FFL transfer for frame, rest everything is legal and no FFL involvement is needed .

The frame remains unchanged only the required rubbing is done to blue the weapon. Minor modification in front and a ventilated rib is added. The serial number engraving remains unchanged.
Regards,
RR

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:14 pm

I don't know if it is legal or not but it is quite a neat job done. :)

Atul

lion.heart8
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by lion.heart8 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:21 am

Hello sir, I want to buy one iof Pistol, but I heard that it stops after shooting some shots it does not fire continuesly. Pls inform me. Also if any other drawback. Thanks

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:42 am

lion.heart8 wrote:Hello sir, I want to buy one iof Pistol, but I heard that it stops after shooting some shots it does not fire continuesly. Pls inform me. Also if any other drawback. Thanks
Please give a brief introduction of yourself. The topic you mentioned has been discussed a lot of times. I am sure, if you go through the topics on this subject you will find all your answers.

Atul

lion.heart8
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by lion.heart8 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:32 pm

I am Faroze Bhat from Kashmir I have all India arms licence having 12 bore shotgun and a Whinchester pump action gun. Now I want to buy one Good quality Pistol (even a Revolver) reasonable price, new or used. Thanks

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:15 am

Faroze,

You can buy a new gun manufactured by the Indian Ordinance Factory. Imported used guns that you can buy would be more than 30 years old. There are lot of topics in the hand gun section discussing about pistols and revolvers. You could go through them and then decide what you want to buy.

Atul