IOF ASHANI .32 pistol

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:03 pm

Rudra, I have a rifle made in 1903, which still retains over 80% of blue...its been in INdia a long time, over 80 years!
paint is piss poor substitute for a proper finish-I've seen the paint peel in some instances of heavy firing-just that the IOFB types want to take home their paycheque with minimal effort.Laziness is no excuse for quality.The sweetest , most accurate weapon I ever handled , was in the NCC, a 1943 , Indian made no 4 SMLE .Had over 90% of bluing on it!
So, with the advent of Ipods and Malls and x boxes, paint is, I guess, a sign of the times?
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

For Advertising mail webmaster
The Doc
Veteran
Veteran

Re: IOF ASHANI .32 pistol

Post by The Doc » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:56 pm

Well said Asif !!

:)

RP

Rudra
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Rudra » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:57 pm

Sirje
I am just talking about handguns.
As we all know we carry hand guns on waist line or under the shoulder.
And both are sweat prone areas.
The weapons are not painted they are power coated (proof - Gunaccessory.com).
As for as the bigger weapons are concerned I have also seen those problems.

Regards
Rudra

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:29 pm

Rudra";p="27713 wrote:Sirje
I am just talking about handguns.
As we all know we carry hand guns on waist line or under the shoulder.
And both are sweat prone areas.
The weapons are not painted they are power coated (proof - Gunaccessory.com).
As for as the bigger weapons are concerned I have also seen those problems.

Regards
Rudra
Hi Rudra- not trying to force an opinion :)

Handguns exposed to sweat will rust anywhere, irrespective of environment. I don't suppose anyone is implying the the Indian variety of sweat is more corrosive! :)

Its all in the basic care of firearms which anybody should undertake.

I don't hear complaints of rust about the beautifully Blued Rugers, S&Ws and others that are in the police inventory.

Rudra
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Rudra » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:56 pm

No the indian sweat is not more corrossive but the Indian environment makes us sweat a little more.
My father owns a S&W and My uncle has a Ruger both of them show such sign except the IOF which my mother owns (I am the retainer of it) shows no such problem.

And In my whole family there are 19 handguns (Including 3 IOFs) and this is the reason why i am saying so. :wink:

Regards
Rudra

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:01 pm

Bluing is probably the least protective of all the gun finishes. Fortunately, for it, it is also one of the most beautiful finishes (when properly done) and had it not been for this it would most probably have been done away with.

Would I have my IOF rifle blued? Not on your nelly but neither would I ignore basic gun maintenance merely because it is supposed to have a hardier surface finish.

In other words, if you don't take care of your guns you are a Jona... oops, I meant to say, slob. :mrgreen:

Mack The Knife

Rudra
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Rudra » Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:51 pm

Hats off Mack The Knife

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:39 pm

Off topic question what is the best cold blue available? Birchwood Casey's Perma Blue? My old stuff is almost gone, need to get in another bottle.

Regards,

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:27 pm

No arguments about Mack The Knifes input, nor about Rudra's personal experiences with finish and corrosion.

I'm only putting forward my opinion. Any body's free not to agree.

Certainly, Blue is among the least protective. But fact is, they are still around in a big way. And it won't go away in a hurry. I don't suppose painted guns rusting does not figure. Its not a nice kind of rusting. Even worse if a gun's been painted carelessly. The moisture and rust develops under the paint (through nicks and bare corners) and you don't see it till the paint starts flaking off. By then, the rust would have been fairly developed.

It's all in the basic care that one puts into his or her gun. And I mean 'Basic'.

Often, it would be argued the IOFB is pragmatic. I'm inclined to think other wise. "Pragmatism" is often an excuse used by lazy folks to stay away from hard work that excellence demands.

I still think blue is the way to go. If that's beyond them...well then, phosphate! In any case the IOF guns are so damn ugly, phosphate will probably make no impact on the aesthetics!

:)

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:34 pm

dev";p="27742 wrote:Off topic question what is the best cold blue available? Birchwood Casey's Perma Blue? My old stuff is almost gone, need to get in another bottle.

Regards,

Dev
Hey Dev,

Ya, just stick to B&C - Its pretty good.
Other brands available too but stick to the well known. Most are matched up on results.

I once spoke to the B&C support folks, since some of my blued metal was going brownish. He emphasized on the pre-cleaning and prep- You just have to make sure this is done meticulously. Haven't had any problems since.

A gun shop here stocks B&C bottles at 800 bucks per bottle!

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:36 pm

dev";p="27742 wrote:Off topic question what is the best cold blue available? Birchwood Casey's Perma Blue? My old stuff is almost gone, need to get in another bottle.

Regards,

Dev
I like G96. Oxpho Blue, 44/40 and Dicropan T4 (all three available at Brownell's) are also highly regarded.

I have not had satisfactory results using Oxpho or 44/40 but it's possible I may have cocked up.

Mack The Knife

sunilssn
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by sunilssn » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:50 pm

If u need cold blue or black on Steel or Al or boiling process cal me on 9869770205 I ma in BOMBAY

Rudra
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Rudra » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:57 pm

By Joe
Now How much sweat could penetrate through the exposed ends CC and again it is not spray painting it is powder coating.
And as for as the pistol is concerned the nickle even suits the design. :wink:

bhaskar
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Re: Guidance for buying IOF .32 pistol

Post by bhaskar » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:13 pm

Hi Guys,

This how new ashani looks like, shot 7 rounds .... no jamming, no over heating, quite smooth.... They have improved the Grip... and the new look, if i can use the term 'copper shade'...

i can post more clear pics but file size is like 1.25 Mb jpeg...

regards
Bhaskar

Lawman
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Guidance for buying IOF .32 pistol

Post by Lawman » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:23 pm

Congratulation, you have got the gun :wink: . Please share your buying experience and more photos (big) of the pistol with us. Have nice gunning.

Lawman