Thumb-break in holster; poining up or down?

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
rahul_does
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana
Location: Yamunanagar, India, My bike, wherever I keep my bag.

Thumb-break in holster; poining up or down?

Post by rahul_does » Sat May 23, 2015 7:57 pm

Hello,

*ALL* the holsters that have seen have the titch-button's flap/thumb-break pointing up. One has to push it down with the thumb for it to disengage and then draw the handgun up.

Why don't we have thumb breaks pointing down? Won't it be easier to draw? One swift draw in one action! Grip the grip, break open the button with your thumb and PULL!

I am sure that there are pretty valid and practical reasons for it to be in the present form, pointing up, necessitating the two stage action. Only, I am unable to see them.

I have seen a beauti, Tom Collins with the thumb break pointing down. Do I buy it or ask them to change it? They are going to make a custom one for me without the metal IWB clip, anyway.

An early response would be highly appreciated as I am going to buy it on Monday when they make the one-off piece for me.

Ra.

For Advertising mail webmaster
ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Thumb-break in holster; poining up or down?

Post by ckkalyan » Sun May 24, 2015 5:36 am

I understand your question rahul_does but IMHO the buttoned retention strap in the first photo is easier to unlock/un-button in a single postive movement. It takes quite a bit of practise to get used to the operation working smoothly.
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Sun May 24, 2015 9:24 am

The holster in the first photo would be much easier to get at in a hurry.
Make sure the the tab sticking up is stiff, so you can use your thumb to knock it out of the way (and unsnap the snap) when drawing. If it is floppy and flexible, it isn't going to work well. Many of them have a metal tab attached to the snap, instead of leather.
In reality a properly constructed thumb break holster is one of the faster drawing retention holsters out there. The Blackhawk Serpa type of retention holster might be a little faster but it has its own problems.

The second one is not really a thumb break. It is more a holster with a snap equipped strap.
It would be significantly slower to draw from compared to a properly made thumb break holster.

Most thumb breaks have the snap on the inside (against the body) so the tab cannot get snagged.
They are also easier to operate with the thumb, in that position.

A thumb break holster equipped with a metal tab.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

Commonwealth_of_PA
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Commonwealth_of_PA » Sun May 24, 2015 5:54 pm

^XL got it. Very well explained.

rahul_does
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana
Location: Yamunanagar, India, My bike, wherever I keep my bag.

Post by rahul_does » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:15 am

One year, now!

The top-down model works quite well!

I find it much easier to use.

Maybe, the fact mine is a small Beretta 418, makes all the difference!

Cheers.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk