Procuring the SAF revolver and MARK IV secret revealed!!

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Procuring the SAF revolver and MARK IV secret revealed!!

Post by Grumpy » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:36 am

Very entertaining.
I thought it was going to be another story of the hopelessness of British motorcycles for a while - having many years ago been the ( initially ) proud ( and subsequently furious ) owner of a piece of crap called a Triumph Thunderbird I wouldn`t have been at all surprised ..... but no, it was all to do with reduced brain function due to over-imbibing Russian pis*head water the night before.
Loved the explanation as to the differences between the MKIII and MKIV and am amazed to discover that the latest version is a `technically advanced` version of the MKIII ........................ So good to know that this clone of a 130 year old design is `technically advanced` .............................
Congratulations on finally obtaining your revolver after what has obviously been a very long and arduous process.
( As a post scriptum I feel that I should express my surprise at discovering that Vikram is a Buddhist and on his fourth reincarnation ......................... I don`t suppose one should ask what his form was in previous lives - but that hair on the top lip rather suggests a monkey heritage which is still making itself felt .............. :lol: :lol: :lol: )
Make a man a fire and he`ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
( Terry Pratchett )

For Advertising mail webmaster
ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:50 am

Nice work SS - enjoyed your very entertaining travelogue! :cpix:

Motorcycling in the rain, it is a definitely recommended experience, at least once. Congratulations on your new Mark IV revolver, looks great! One more picture of the other side of the revolver would be great.

Gunjan lunch, simple but yummy, excellent.

VIKRAM = MARKIV Good one! :idea:
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:20 am

Wonderful AAR (After Action Report) by our own Agent SS (Secret Service).

He challenged the products of the NOT (National Operators of Thoroughfares) to enter the lair of the SAF and and coerced the BWSNBN (Babu Who Shall Not Be Named) into revealing the secrets of the TAVMIII (Technologically Advanced Version of the Mark III) ...er..KONA.. er.. VIKRAM.. er.. MARKIV revolver.
As we all know, secret service jargon is full of acronyms.

Yes, Yes, what every SS (Secret Service) agent should look like.
You can even see the menacing dinosaur reflected in his goggles. Oh, Wait....

Needless to say, for his diligence and performance during this TSM (Top Secret Mission), with this hugely entertaining story, he deserves a nomination for the coveted POM (Poster Of the Month) award.

I shall forward the recommendation, up the COC (Chain Of Command), for approval by the PTB (Powers That Be).

REDACTED, REDACTED and REDACTED
Everyone knows that all secret reports, when released to the public, have to have something redacted in them

By the way, what is the speed limit on that expressway?
You don't have to say anything, if you will have to kill me after that.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:24 am

XL, it was undoubtedly necessary to roll open the throttle once or twice, while dealing with dangerous, shadowy figures!

[youtube][/youtube]

I second the motion for Poster of the Month laurels!
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

prashantsingh
Poster of the Month - Aug 2011

Post by prashantsingh » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:05 am

What a lovely post SS. Congratulations for both.

Loved xl 's comment on the "menacing dinosaur" . You've got a keen eye.

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:21 am

HA! Tim.
Good addition.
Wish I had thought of it first. :)

LOL, Prashant..just trying to inject (he, he) a little more humor into an already entertaining thread.

You guys don't realize the dangers of the mission and how accomplished our own secret agent man is:

Here's another shot of our SS in action. On his Triumph with his MARKIV revolver.
image from here

BTW, SS, this is all in fun. I did enjoy your thread immensely.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:39 pm

xl_target wrote:BTW, SS, this is all in fun. I did enjoy your thread immensely.

It is true, SS, your style and creativity are great -- it makes your story very interesting and readable.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

AgentDoubleS
Poster of the month - Apr 2015

Post by AgentDoubleS » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:05 pm

timmy wrote:Excellent tale, SS, and well written! Having been in rainstorms on a MC, your description allowed me to relive the experience (with a shiver, and recalling pouring about a liter of water out of each of my cowboy boots...).

Timmy, apart from mastering the art of getting wet under waterproof clothes I have also become a pseudo entomologist; i can identify bugs and butterflies from their pulp on my helmet visor. :D

I am glad you enjoyed reading it.. Apart from gulping down those large ones at Abhijeet's house gatherings, this has been my first meaningful contribution to IFG!
Vikram wrote:MARKIV (read it backwards and tell me :wink: )
......Thank you for the lovely report. I chuckled a good few times. I could see that you were enjoying writing it.
:shock: I read it a few times before I could believe it!

I did thoroughly enjoy writing it and I have to confess the response on this thread had me in splits.. they are absoutely hilarious.. apart from that picture of me on the Triumph shooting bad guys...that's me ..unadulterated :mrgreen:
Grumpy wrote:I thought it was going to be another story of the hopelessness of British motorcycles for a while ....
Grumps, it would have been just that had I decided to go on a Royal Enfield instead of the Triumph. The RE would have been symbolically apt, both the Revolver and the motorcycle would have been century old designs (well, almost!) reminiscent of the British era and still loved and hated by all of us at the same time. I know of few other companies that can sell unreliability and breakdowns as the ''soul of the motorcycle" while the reliable workhorses of the Japanese kind are called soulless. It's obvious which category I got sold on :). They've launched the Thunderbird in India as a competitor to the Harley Fatobobs/boys.

I don't think Vikram's ever getting over that reincarnation information going public.. :lol:
ckkalyan wrote: Motorcycling in the rain, it is a definitely recommended experience
Let's put this this way.. it you are into motorcycling, the rain is an inevitable experience! But seriously though, I do agree. Riding in the rain has its own excitement. The trick is to ride on and hope to leave the clouds behind!

Prashant, if I had ready your RFI leopard report first, this thread would have never seen the light of the day. I am absolutely hooked to that. Glad you enjoyed reading this..
xl_target wrote: Wonderful AAR (After Action Report) by our own Agent SS (Secret Service)....
I am going to use the old skill I acquired across the border while in Chinese captivity- Shameless Plagiarism.
From hereon, for yours truly, the name will be S.... AgentDoubleS :mrgreen:
.............As we all know, secret service jargon is full of acronyms..........
ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL
timmy wrote: XL, it was undoubtedly necessary to roll open the throttle once or twice, while dealing with dangerous, shadowy figures!
Just to clarify... AgentDoubleS would never run away from danger :oops: .. it was just to dodge those nasty bullets Rajnikant style..
xl_target wrote: Here's another shot of our SS in action. On his Triumph with his MARKIV revolver.
Xl, the KGB released that to you, didn't they?! National security's compromised.
And in case people here missed it, I'm looking in that left rear view mirror as i shoot that 'dangerous, shadowy figure!" 8)

Thank you gentlemen, I thoroughly enjoyed reading the responses

Signing off...
S....AgentDoubleS

prashantsingh

Post by prashantsingh » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:33 pm

SS.
I was so engrossed defending myself after shooting the pregnant leopardess. That I did not read this one properly.
Now that I have finished with it I read every word uve written

There is no doubt that this post is the best I have read in a long time.
You surely deserve the "Poster of the month award"for this one.
:cheers:

Harish Asnani
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Harish Asnani » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:00 pm

@SS-very interesting, well written report, I sincerely hope you will have good time with your newly acquired Mark-IV. It was a true joy reading about your journey...

art_collector
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by art_collector » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:23 am

Sumit,

This was an interesting write up and loved reading it. But more than the anything i could never believe that some one would travel by mobike to go to Kanpur. Have a few customers who have travelled to Leh but Kanpur is a different story all together. Could i share this story of yours on my facebook page.....people who are not members here would love it I am sure.....(with due credit to you )

AgentDoubleS

Post by AgentDoubleS » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:45 pm

prashantsingh wrote:SS.
I was so engrossed defending myself after shooting the pregnant leopardess. That I did not read this one properly.
Now that I have finished with it I read every word uve written

There is no doubt that this post is the best I have read in a long time.
You surely deserve the "Poster of the month award"for this one.
:cheers:
Prashant, if one thing we all believe w/o doubt is your commitment to wildlife protection and that thread or not we would have been convinced anyway that you would have done what was right- no matter how thankless or diffficult it was. No pressure for next time ;)

Harish, thanks- I hope to get familiar with it soon.

AC, now that xl has disclosed the identity and while I change my appearance face off style, please feel free to share this thread as you like. No worries about credit, no one's paying royalty to me anyway. :)
Incidentally, rain and chai remind me of my first meet with you. You might not recall but I came to buy ammo for my rifle and it was raining. You treated me to probably the best tea I've ever had.
God willing, leh is planned this year :)

Cheers.

Chandan22
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Chandan22 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:54 pm

Congratulations are in order..

about as much as a new dad deserves !! though in this case your labor was longer.. ;-)

lets meet up soon

~C

AgentDoubleS

Post by AgentDoubleS » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:09 pm

Chandan, with no option of a caeserian!

XL_target, in case your friends at KGB try and get nosy with my business again I can confirm that this is NOT what I will look like after the Face Off inspired surgery, Triumph and shoulder holster notwithstanding..

art_collector
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by art_collector » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:57 pm

SS,

Your well written travelogue is posted on my face book page. Quite a few people would enjoy reading it.

AC