IOF .32 Pistol or Revolver - which is more reliable?

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
farook
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: IOF .32 Pistol or Revolver - which is more reliable?

Post by farook » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:06 pm

Supershaji tusi super great ho. Anyone to elaborate on the reason on Ashani jammng.....
Nothing has shaped the history more than a Gun

For Advertising mail webmaster
farook
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by farook » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:13 pm

Speaking of pistol jams anyone knows why this jammed VIEWER DISCRETION ADVISED

farook
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by farook » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:27 pm

Speaking of Pistol vs Revolvers a word of caution from Hikhok 45

supershaji
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by supershaji » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:54 pm

farook wrote:Speaking of pistol jams anyone knows why this jammed VIEWER DISCRETION ADVISED
May God protect us from such incidents!
chitty-vitty, bang-shang

farook
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by farook » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:58 pm

supershaji wrote:
farook wrote:Speaking of pistol jams anyone knows why this jammed VIEWER DISCRETION ADVISED
May God protect us from such incidents!

This was a case of personal enmity. The person killed think his name was shyl kundra, had killed the brother of the man who shoots him...
Last edited by farook on Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

supershaji
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by supershaji » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:59 pm

Its a shameful state when people take law in their own hands, testimony to the fact that they have no faith in the police and judicial system of their land.
chitty-vitty, bang-shang

ss2008mm
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by ss2008mm » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:21 pm

totally agreeing and adding to the list of "supershaji":
resale - pistol +1
comfortable grip - pistol +1 (comparing iof products only)
looks and finishing - revolver +1 (comparing iof products only)
reloading - pistol +1 (ashani is supplied with extra mag, do use it)

Few suggestions if you go for pistol:
1. Make sure to smoothen the rough edges of your cartridges to avoid jams (http://www.indiansforguns.com/viewtopic ... 49#p183449)
2. Follow iof manual to clean your pistol. they have not recommended for field strip. Because to avoid barrel lock failures, lock has been fixed by glue. If you conceal carry your weapon than you can always keep dust away from the gun and hence field stripping will not be needed frequently. Since the blast takes place inside the barrel so main deposition of carbon is inside the barrel only and hence only barrel is needed to be cleaned after every firing session. This (blast inside barrel) also reduces the so called "side" effects faced with revolvers :)
Last edited by ss2008mm on Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

supershaji
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by supershaji » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:38 pm

Let's update the score with "ss2008mm"'s given points:

Revolver: 3+1=4
Pistol: 4+3=7

So Pistol still leading with 3 points.
chitty-vitty, bang-shang

dany
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by dany » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:42 am

Regrding fps..in a effective range of 25 feet a differnce of 200 feet per second dnt make any decisive difference...more over for better fps one can go for imported ammo..another advantage of revolver it dnt eject empty shells every where..the shels wil be intact in chamber..so go on bang bang..regarding reloading...if one carries a revolver re loader thn loadings is as fast as any pistol..one can use revolver with single hand only..take it out and start firing..no need to cok it..revolver has a cult image like.. in bikes "bullet" so I dnt see any major disadvantage of revolver over pistol..yes a practical problem of conceal carry..if one is claver enough he can manage it...so any one whn it comes to personal safety nd ur not a trained person just go for REVOLVER..

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:47 am

The pistol would be more concealable than the revolver, no doubt about it.

A pistol, especially a blow-back pistol, has much fewer moving parts and is a much simpler design than a revolver, especially a double action one.

As far as power is concerned, you will get between 100 and 125 ft-lbs of energy out of the 32 S&W Long and the .32 ACP out of their respective guns. The biggest issues here will be which ammunition you are going to use and the bullet's ability to penetrate. The one that penetrates deepest will be the better load. Frankly, I don't see a lot of difference.

Safety - the Pistol is extremely dangerous to carry with a round in the chamber, compared to the Revolver. There is so much information on this point available on the web, and there has been so much talk about this on these forums, that I cannot imagine anyone serious about guns thinking that the Ashani is safe to carry with a round in the chamber. All I can say to anyone on this forum is that, after all we've said on this matter, if you still want to carry and Ashani or Colt Pocket Pistol around with a cartridge chambered, go ahead, but consider that your juggling career will be considerably less exciting and enjoyable with just one or none to juggle for the rest of your life. And all the silly arguments will not change the truth!
supershaji wrote:More so, one can carry the pistol with the magazine loaded, with the safety on as well as keeping the pistol un-cocked…
A hammerless pistol cannot be carried uncocked with a round in the chamber. It can be carried safely without a round in the chamber, but with the magazine loaded. Hopefully, in a self-defense situation, the goon will give ample opportunity for the Ashani carrier to rack the slide and get a round in the chamber, so he can be shot. Seriously, for safe carry, the Ashani is no match for the Revolver when it comes to quickly bringing the weapon into action.
supershaji wrote:Oh yes, this pistol also cannot be fired until held in the hand and the trigger and grip safety squeezed together (forgot what that safety mechanism is called).
This is simply wrong information! Pistols of this design can easily fire when dropped. It has happened. We have said it here many times before. Members reading this should keep this in mind: You have been warned!
supershaji wrote:The revolver, on the other hand, has one safety catch. Period.
Double action revolvers generally don't need any safety, because one has to pull the trigger to cock and fire them. For a revolver like the IOF, a safety may serve a purpose. For .32 revolvers like a Colt or S&W, there is no safety and none is needed. They are as safe as a bank vault without one, by design.
supershaji wrote:Oh yes, I hear that the pistol, even though it has a mag of 7 (or more?) it only can safely be loaded with 5, anything more results in ... umm.. an ejection problem?? (haven't managed to figure out why, but this is what the local gunsmiths have complained / suggested).
Most of these kinds of problems can be traced to a magazine spring that is weak. However, the magazine lips can also be a factor, but the first move in such a situation is to get a good magazine spring, like a Wolff.
supershaji wrote:About burning hands, a gentleman at the shooting range fired his IOF revolver and burned another fellow member's face (who was standing by his side) with renegade lead shavings.
If someone got burned in the face like this, the shooter should have been excused from the range and his membership permanently terminated. If it was found that the injured person was deliberately standing next to the shooter, he should be excused and banned as well. Anyone so ignorant about guns has no business shooting one, much less being a member of a range.

For self-defense, the choice between the revolver and the Ashani isn't really worth the time to compare them. In some cases, one might be able to use an Ashani effectively without a round in the chamber. Otherwise, there's really not much to discuss.

I have posted to the thread because there has been a lot of incorrect information posted and I am concerned about the safety of our members, that I recommend that members reading this thread take notice of the fact.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

supershaji
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by supershaji » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:06 pm

timmy wrote:
supershaji wrote:Oh yes, this pistol also cannot be fired until held in the hand and the trigger and grip safety squeezed together (forgot what that safety mechanism is called).
This is simply wrong information! Pistols of this design can easily fire when dropped. It has happened. We have said it here many times before. Members reading this should keep this in mind: You have been warned!
Noted Timmy, and warning shall be taken heed of!
timmy wrote:
supershaji wrote:Oh yes, I hear that the pistol, even though it has a mag of 7 (or more?) it only can safely be loaded with 5, anything more results in ... umm.. an ejection problem?? (haven't managed to figure out why, but this is what the local gunsmiths have complained / suggested).
Most of these kinds of problems can be traced to a magazine spring that is weak. However, the magazine lips can also be a factor, but the first move in such a situation is to get a good magazine spring, like a Wolff.
Any tips on where one can get this Wolff spring for the Ashani mag, and also if anyone has tried this solution with success here?

I'm getting mine by the end of this month, God Willing, will be in a better position to review therefore.

Thanks for the inputs and corrections Timmy.

So, what's the verdict between the two?
chitty-vitty, bang-shang

farook
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by farook » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:58 pm

First get your weapon.....

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:36 pm

Here is the link direct to Wolff Springs:

http://www.gunsprings.com/Semi-Auto%20P ... mID1/dID71

Here is the link to Midway, which is a distributor of Wolff Springs:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/763895 ... xtra-power

Having said this, please read:

1. I don't know if you can get springs from either Wolff or Midway in India.

2. The Ashani is based on the Colt Pocket Pistol, but I DON'T KNOW if the magazines will interchange or if the Colt Pocket Pistol magazine spring will work in an Ashani. I think it is possible that it might, but this is something you would need to check. Naturally, before ordering one, you would want to know for sure whether it would work. But jamming is often caused by a weak magazine spring in these kinds of pistols.

3. Obviously, you will want to try yours first, to see how it behaves.

My verdict? If you need something that you can carry that is at the ready all the time, at an instant's notice, then the Revolver is the way to go. For the other uses, either would be fine, depending on what you want it for.

My own personal preference and beliefs are not consistent. I prefer semiautomatics in general, but I'm quite attached to old Colt double action revolvers. Around the house, I have kept a Detective Special loaded and ready. When I go on trips, I usually have my CZ50 (similar to a Walther PPK) with me, because it is so concealable. It is also totally safe with a round in the chamber. I have carried other handguns when traveling, at times.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

farook
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by farook » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:30 pm

The issue is not just with the spring on the magazine. You would experience frequent jams due to the faulty design of the mags feed end, it does not come high enough to feed the ammo into the barrel. This need to be modified by a proper gun smith. So much for IOF products....
Last edited by farook on Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

James_Bond
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by James_Bond » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:12 pm

Revolver is most reliable than pistol.
With Regards
CODE NAME BOND, JAMES BOND LICENSE TO RKBA