IOF .32 Pistol or Revolver - which is more reliable?

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
koncealed-karrier
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

IOF .32 Pistol or Revolver - which is more reliable?

Post by koncealed-karrier » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:03 am

Dear Friends,

Please let me know which one of the two IOF handguns - i) .32 Pistol ii) .32 Revolver, is a better weapon in terms of reliability.

Thanks in anticipation.

Warm regards,

koncealed-karrier

For Advertising mail webmaster
sonuvecv
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Re: IOF .32 Pistol or Revolver - which is more reliable?

Post by sonuvecv » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:36 am

Dear Sir,
My opinion goes with IOF .32 revolver as far as reliability is concern,though many members may disagree with it ,but IOF .32 revolver is safe and easy to use weapon ,you just need to remove th safety catch and can fire it.

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:24 am

sonuvecv wrote:you just need to remove th safety catch and can fire it.
That safety catch adds nothing to the safety of carrying it and will get you into trouble if ever you need the revolver in a hurry.Do not use it.

farook
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by farook » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:16 am

If your done with the six shots and need a reload which one is easier and faster....revolvers are like safari suits... outdated. Which one can you hold better with both hands...which one is safer to hold as the gases don't burn your hands
Nothing has shaped the history more than a Gun

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:24 am

farook wrote:If your done with the six shots and need a reload which one is easier and faster.
That depends on whether one has a second magazine for the semi-auto. It would take much longer to reload than a revolver without that second magazine.
farook wrote:revolvers are like safari suits... outdated.
So true! After all, revolvers are over 170 years old, while semi-autos are almost new-born at about 120 years old. I'm sure a 120 year old safari suit would look brand new next to a 170 year old one.
farook wrote:Which one can you hold better with both hands.
A fair question.
farook wrote:which one is safer to hold as the gases don't burn your hands
Let's ask this question a different way, Farook: How many times have you burned your hands shooting a revolver because you were not holding it properly? I've never burned my hands shooting any of my revolvers, or those of others.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

karmveer
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by karmveer » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:52 am

IOF Made .32 Bore Revolver and Pistol both are reliable.

But in my view, revolver is better then pistol due to low maintenance easy to handle and perfect accuracy.

Vineet
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vineet » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:16 pm

Revolver is more reliable because it doesn't have to automatically eject a fired case and feed next round like a pisto.
Six rounds are enough in most personal self defense situations. But the iof 32 revolver has shortcomings like throwing lead shaving, very hard trigger pull, Ammo burning too dirty, bullet is slower by around 200 fps than pistol.
Vineet Armoury
Arms, Ammunition & Accessories.

farook
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by farook » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:43 pm

So true! After all, revolvers are over 170 years old, while semi-autos are almost new-born at about 120 years old. I'm sure a 120 year old safari suit would look brand new next to a 170 year old one.
To put it in another way which is better engineered, you can carry two or three mags of 8 pops each, that's 24 at your finger tips :twisted:
farook wrote:Which one can you hold better with both hands.
A fair question.
farook wrote:which one is safer to hold as the gases don't burn your hands
Let's ask this question a different way, Farook: How many times have you burned your hands shooting a revolver because you were not holding it properly? I've never burned my hands shooting any of my revolvers, or those of others.

If its isn't for a 357 I would never bother with a revolver. Its just too inconvenient to hold it with both hands. Move over the pressure release technology is just too primitive.
Last edited by farook on Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

deep27
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by deep27 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:29 pm

in my opinion revolver is better than pistol as in maintenance and it is easy to handle. i think six rounds are enough for self defence.

nm
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by nm » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:20 am

I think, Farook is discussing specifically in context of IOF products, considering their poor design and workmanship.
I agree...

NM

farook
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by farook » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:53 am

nm wrote:I think, Farook is discussing specifically in context of IOF products, considering their poor design and workmanship.
I agree...

NM

You could say so, sometime back I say a pretty little Smith and Wesson .32 for one million rupees. Then that would be THE most expensive object on me as its unlikely that I would be carrying that much cash or jewelry. Then I still need to buy a cheaper IOF revolver to Safe Guard the more expensive smith and wesson. ROTFL

dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dr.jayakumar » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:00 am

IOF rev is better than iof pistol anyday.often barrel lock loosen and fall out along with the spring,in an iof pistol.this a serious problem faced by most iof pistols.
regards
dr.jk

Katana
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Katana » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:56 am

Do we even have a choice?

An observation: revolver ammo is generally more easily available.

Both need a little TLC to be used optimally.
Justice alone is the mainstay of government and the source of prosperity to the governed, injustice is the most pernicious of things; it saps the foundations of the government and brings ruin upon the realm - Sher Shah Sur, Sultan-ul-Adil.

farook
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by farook » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:57 am

dr.jayakumar wrote:IOF rev is better than iof pistol anyday.often barrel lock loosen and fall out along with the spring,in an iof pistol.this a serious problem faced by most iof pistols.
regards
dr.jk

If you could elaborate on the pistol issues please. It may not be the prettiest pistol around, the grips are not a handful and not the most comfortable.......The barrel lock is now permanently fixed to the barrel
Last edited by farook on Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

supershaji
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by supershaji » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:49 pm

@ 'koncealed-karrier',

between the two, the Pistol would be more apt to your avatar, its easier to "karry-koncealed" :p

That apart, and joining the debate, it is said that, due to the "simple mechanism" of a revolver as opposed to the complex one of the pistol, the revolver is bound to fire more surely than the pistol when need be.

So that's one point each for revolver and pistol so far.

As far as power is concerned, between the two cousins in the ring, the Pistol packs a stronger punch.

Safety - the Pistol has more safety options as compared to the Revolver.
More so, one can carry the pistol with the magazine loaded, with the safety on as well as keeping the pistol un-cocked, or better still (if u want to be really really cautious, get a holster which has a mag pouch and keep the pistol and magazine separate and load in a jiffy when needed (if at all). Oh yes, this pistol also cannot be fired until held in the hand and the trigger and grip safety squeezed together (forgot what that safety mechanism is called).
The revolver, on the other hand, has one safety catch. Period. You may also carry it unloaded but imagine how much time it would take to load each cartridge.

So, so far, the pistol has 2 up over the revolver.

Oh yes, I hear that the pistol, even though it has a mag of 7 (or more?) it only can safely be loaded with 5, anything more results in ... umm.. an ejection problem?? (haven't managed to figure out why, but this is what the local gunsmiths have complained / suggested).

That's one for the revolver then -
The revolver, shoots 6 rounds.

About burning hands, a gentleman at the shooting range fired his IOF revolver and burned another fellow member's face (who was standing by his side) with renegade lead shavings.

As far as my personal choice in aesthetics goes, I would fancy the revolver over the pistol because of it classic bare look. But no points on this.

Oh yes, as far as availability is concerned at the ordnance factories, the Revolver is easier and faster to obtain, considering the longer waiting period of the Ashani Pistol after booking, which is approx 12 months, and I hear that the revolver can be delivered within 2 months of booking.

So, after covering:

"koncealed-karry" - Pistol +1
Sure firing - Revolver +1
Power/fps - Pistol +1
Safety - Pistol +1
"true" magazine capacity - Revolver +1
Shooting "side" effects - Pistol +1
waiting period - Revolver +1

So the winner (so far) seems to be the pistol with 4 points.

anybody care to add or correct, feel free.
chitty-vitty, bang-shang