Baby Belgian

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
diskaon
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Baby Belgian

Post by diskaon » Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:48 pm

Does any one have any links/info on the 0.25 baby belgian/belgium pistol. i have been searching info on it, but in vain.
klick klack..... diskaon

For Advertising mail webmaster
cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Baby Belgian

Post by cottage cheese » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:39 pm

diskaon";p="23673 wrote:Does any one have any links/info on the 0.25 baby belgian/belgium pistol. i have been searching info on it, but in vain.
You could be meaning Baby Browning. It was almost entirely produced by FN of Belgium - John Browning had a long and fruitful relationship with FN.

Other than the fact that its a beautifully made gun designed by Browning and made by FN... its a last ditch across the table top business gun... pretty low on end ballistics.

Here's some more info:

http://www.loni.hr/browning/browbaby/browbaby.htm
http://www.browning.com/services/dategu ... l.asp?id=6

diskaon
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by diskaon » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:54 pm

hey CC,
it looks pretty much the same..

i know someone who has one of these.. what could be the value of it?? pls note its not for sale..
klick klack..... diskaon

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:40 pm

diskaon";p="23885 wrote:hey CC,
it looks pretty much the same..

i know someone who has one of these.. what could be the value of it?? pls note its not for sale..
Hi Diskaon,

Well the Baby Browning is fairly common. I too know quite a a few people who have them. I can guess it's the novelty or the coolness of a tiny pocket thingy that attracts many ill informed people to it (My personal opinion)... the fact is I have a hearty dislike for tiny trinkets of this kind and not without reason- They are tiny and the effect they have is also correspondingly tiny. Maybe a loud bang... and thats about it. Of course, it shoots bullets and is well capable of killing or causing severe injury and also something is better than nothing...but the scales would generally tipped in the other direction with small things like these. The .25 ammo is also not readily available off the shelf in most places... not that its a sizzling performer by any means!

Of course, all the above drivel is my opinion and I'm by no means, discouraging anyone from owning or procuring one... its a nicely made pistol though.

As to its value... no idea! This is India... one person could offer it for peanuts while another could price it high enough to qualify for a home loan!

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:32 pm

There are some new ones for sale here http://www.iverjohnsonarms.com/page3.html

penpusher

diskaon
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by diskaon » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:15 pm

I am planning to take up a job in the factory next to theirs for two years. then i will bring it back under transfer of residence!!!! lol

priced at about $500 its a steal..
klick klack..... diskaon

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:30 am

The Baby Browning has been made both in Belgium and the USA and has also appeared with a Colt label. There are also loads of copies built around the world.
The .25 ACP developes less energy than a .22 lr ......... much less when fired from the VERY short barrel of a Baby Browning. In real terms one of the most hopeless self-defence weapons ever created and generally regarded as a ladies purse ( handbag ) pistol.
There have been some superbly engraved FN made Baby Brownings as well as nickel and chrome plated examples. Last year an example with solid gold parts and precious jewels was offered at auction - I can`t remember the reserve but it was VERY high.
UK values depend - as always - on condition and vary from about £75 to £275 - the higher figure being for a mint example.

diskaon
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by diskaon » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:06 am

Loud noise itself can scare away an intruder. also, it is preferable to shoot an intruder with this one rather than the old H&R 12 gauge!!!

what would be a better choice than this one.. walther PPK???i am thinking small gun only.
klick klack..... diskaon

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:53 am

The PPK is nice......but get the 7.63mm NOT the .25acp ( 6.35mm. )
In the US there are plenty of pocket sized 9mm Parabellums nowadays - and even more 9mm Shorts ( .380 Auto. ) but I doubt any are available in India ....... or, if they are, they`ll be a horrific price.
Basically the greater the calibre, the heavier the bullet, the better the man-stopper....... but don`t buy a pistol in a calibre that ammunition is difficult to get hold of.

diskaon
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by diskaon » Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:45 pm

Like how bike engines are rebored to fit in a bigger piston. Is it legal to modify a gun which has an unavailable caliber into a more common caliber.. e.g. 0.25 to a 0.22 LR (not something that can be done at home, but hypothetically)
klick klack..... diskaon

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:16 pm

Sometimes it`s possible to rebarrel but not aways - it depends whether multiple calibres are offered in the same frame and whether the frame dimensions are the same for each calibre. There are more complications than just changing the barrel - magazines can be a problem. In the case of changing from a .25ACP to the .22lr there is also the point that the .22 lr case is rimmed and requires a different extractor and is rimfire so the striker would have to be relocated.
I`ve no idea what the legal situation is in India.

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:26 pm

diskaon";p="24902 wrote: Like how bike engines are rebored to fit in a bigger piston. Is it legal to modify a gun which has an unavailable caliber into a more common caliber.. e.g. 0.25 to a 0.22 LR (not something that can be done at home, but hypothetically)
It is legal only if done by a dealer with a license to convert firearms.As far as I know,there are none in India with one.

penpusher