.38 special revolver PB or NPB price,ammo availability

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
BowMan
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: .38 special revolver PB or NPB price,ammo availability

Post by BowMan » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:56 pm

Yes, precisely...

.22 lr revolvers sell from 4.5 onwards and would peak at say 6. The same gun offered with a spare .22 WMR cylinder easily fetches prices in the range of 7.5-8. How much does it cost to machine a spare cylinder?

The reason buyers find this appealing is they have a flexibility to practice with .22 lr, and if the need arises, swap in the spare cylinder by simply unscrewing the cylinder yolk screw. Little do these unsuspecting people know or care to find out what is on the table. Or even be aware of the fact that .22 WMR is really a rifle round and looses a lot of its edge when given to handgun applications because of the shorter barrel.

For Advertising mail webmaster
TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:21 am

BowMan wrote:Yes, precisely...

.22 lr revolvers sell from 4.5 onwards and would peak at say 6. The same gun offered with a spare .22 WMR cylinder easily fetches prices in the range of 7.5-8. How much does it cost to machine a spare cylinder?

The reason buyers find this appealing is they have a flexibility to practice with .22 lr, and if the need arises, swap in the spare cylinder by simply unscrewing the cylinder yolk screw. Little do these unsuspecting people know or care to find out what is on the table. Or even be aware of the fact that .22 WMR is really a rifle round and looses a lot of its edge when given to handgun applications because of the shorter barrel.
Bowman, seems the sudden rise of those Smith and Wesson K-22s in Model 17 and Model 48 guise in UP and Punjab have put us through the same learning curve ROTFL

TC

BowMan
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by BowMan » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:28 am

Agree TC... :D

neerajkaty
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by neerajkaty » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:30 pm

BowMan wrote:1. .38 Special more specifically referred as .38 Smith & Wesson Special is a NP bore cartridge

2. Ammo is not easily available. I have good reason to believe this scarcity has been artificially created by dealers to drive down the prices of revolvers in this cartridge.

3. It is now almost impossible to find firearms in this cartridge because I believe most have been converted to .357 magnum and sold to unsuspecting customers. I personally know of a Gent who was offered a Taurus revolver in .357 magnum and he verified the serial number with Taurus International Manufacturing Inc. and it turned out to be a .38 Special!!!

4. There have been reports of some members finding guns on offer for astonishingly low prices. Please refer to this thread. http://www.indiansforguns.com/viewtopic ... 12&t=17767 So far I have seen only 2 genuine examples. One is discussed in the thread and the other was a Stainless Steel snubby available with a dealer in Delhi and his asking price was 10 lacs! Also some dealers in Punjab seem to have a higher probability of stocking this.
you seem to have quiet good knowledge about the 0.38 in India.
can you have a look at my father's possession and suggest if such ammo is easily available now?
also if you could suggest someone interested in this particular antique.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SARGE7402
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by SARGE7402 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:43 pm

Don't know id any one on your side of the pond has tried, but I own several .38 Special and .38 S&W what you call the .38-200 and I've found some lots of the latter ammo that would chamber in my 38 Specials. Since the cartridge pressures are about the same and the bullets are only .002" different, I've fired several wit no ill effects on my .38 Special. Course if it's PB do you need a PB certificate just to be able to buy the ammo
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’

Army
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Army » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:43 am

Your not converting a .38 into 357 unless there making some fake offbrand knock off guns of s&w and colts and putting same marking as them a fooling people , a 357 mag can fire 38 and they sell them as 38 I’m guessing in India to play people I’m guessing because 357 round cost more and it will blow a football hole through your chest also anyways I had a 357 that’s was my dads and it shoots .38 also and rounds cost less I’m in USA if you guys need help with ammo you can make your own buy casing buy powder and buy a press for ammo for shell casing usd $150 dollars not bad to make your ammo at 10 cents a round or less why not?

rajiv18
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by rajiv18 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:34 pm

Is Glock Pistol Model G 42, 380 Auto is NPB in India ?

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:11 am

.380 auto is not a restricted calibre. But, you may find it difficult to convince the licensing authority as .38 revolver ammunition are classified restricted category.

If you can make them understand the the two are different, then you can have it endorsed on your license.
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

sushant042005
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by sushant042005 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:01 am

Wanted to know where can I get ammo for .38 Special Model 10 Rev in India?
Thanks

BowMan
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by BowMan » Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:34 pm

neerajkaty wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:30 pm
BowMan wrote:1. .38 Special more specifically referred as .38 Smith & Wesson Special is a NP bore cartridge

2. Ammo is not easily available. I have good reason to believe this scarcity has been artificially created by dealers to drive down the prices of revolvers in this cartridge.

3. It is now almost impossible to find firearms in this cartridge because I believe most have been converted to .357 magnum and sold to unsuspecting customers. I personally know of a Gent who was offered a Taurus revolver in .357 magnum and he verified the serial number with Taurus International Manufacturing Inc. and it turned out to be a .38 Special!!!

4. There have been reports of some members finding guns on offer for astonishingly low prices. Please refer to this thread. http://www.indiansforguns.com/viewtopic ... 12&t=17767 So far I have seen only 2 genuine examples. One is discussed in the thread and the other was a Stainless Steel snubby available with a dealer in Delhi and his asking price was 10 lacs! Also some dealers in Punjab seem to have a higher probability of stocking this.
you seem to have quiet good knowledge about the 0.38 in India.
can you have a look at my father's possession and suggest if such ammo is easily available now?
also if you could suggest someone interested in this particular antique.
Hello.

This is 380 ball or also known as 38 British or 380 Mk2.
This cartridge develops pressure much lesser than 38 Special/38 S&W. Though once common with Police I doubt you will find ammo easily, if atall.
But the weapon for sure is a beauty. Keep it well.