IOF rev CCW

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
perfectionist1
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: IOF rev CCW

Post by perfectionist1 » Sun May 05, 2013 1:19 pm

Skyman wrote:Have you tried concealing it in a book?
:lol: wow.....

For Advertising mail webmaster
xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Mon May 06, 2013 10:05 pm

Perfectionist1,
Usually when someone says they have an issue concealing a gun, there are a couple of key questions that I ask.
What are you using for a holster and what kind of belt are you suing to support the weight of the gun and holster?
If you are not using a proper gun belt and a rigid holster that covers the trigger guard, if you are just doing a "Mexican carry", all I can say is; "I hope you have already had your children".

While revolvers in general are wider than an semi-auto (because of the cylinder), many people prefer revolvers as a carry gun for their perceived simplicity.
The first thing that most new carry permit holders in the US do, is to buy a cheap holster and belt. The usual thinking is "why would I spend $100 for a custom holster when I can buy one off the shelf at the store for $30. Then they wonder why they have a sore back at the end of the day and also why the butt of the gun swings out and can be seen through clothing.
I did the same thing. It wasn't till I walked into a store one day to find the gun and holster sliding down my pants leg, that I wised up. I spent the money for a decent belt and a decent holster and it makes a huge difference.

Below you can see me carrying a gun with a full size grip. I am wearing an IWB holster with my shirt tucked in. The only things visible are the two belt loops which can be easily hidden by my cell phone holder. Most people don't know what the two extra loops are there for or they don't even notice. To get to the gun, you use your weak hand to grab the fabric and tug it away. This also serves to keep your weak hand in against yout torso. Many people have shot their own hand in their hurry to get the gun out and into action. Once the holster is exposed, the gun is easily accessible.

You will also notice that in the second photo, that the gun butt is pushed tightly against the body. A good holster will do this. There is no printing.

ImageImage
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

Skyman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Skyman » Mon May 06, 2013 10:27 pm

Which gun is that?
I would rather hit my target gently than miss hard.

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Mon May 06, 2013 11:15 pm

Skyman wrote:Which gun is that?
Tanfoglio TZ75 Government in 9mm.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

perfectionist1
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by perfectionist1 » Thu May 09, 2013 4:04 pm

HI XL_Target,

Hmmm.. this is a pretty good solution for ccw...idea of putting a mobile phone holster in front is great.

I am pretty sure, I am not going to get this kindof holster with loops in India, have to rely on some visiting relative from US.

I carry similarly as your pics, but in India you do not get correct holsters, & you are right it is similar to mexican carry, but since I want to have more children still :wink: I keep two chambers empty, one under the pin and other on the left handside(clock wise) to keep "IT" safe.

There are no kydex holsters available in India, at least I havent come across anywhere, only you get is good leather and poor leather holsters..

But I appreciate idea of mobile phone holster.

Cheers...

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Thu May 09, 2013 4:14 pm

perfectionist1,

The 'safety' does not in any way contribute to the revolver being safer.It only prevents the hammer from going back when the trigger is pulled.It does not prevent the hammer from being pushed forward and the firing pin contacting the percussion cap ,say,in case the revolver falls down and it lands on the hammer.

It,however defeats one of the greatest advantages of having a revolver i.e. the ability to draw it and fire it immediately.
perfectionist1 wrote:it is anyway unsafe Sir, If I tuck the gun IWB, most of the time to my horror, it automatically pushes to fire mode since it is just a push bar and by body movement it slides IN to fire mode. Useless.....
Rest assured (god forbid),if and when you need it,it will be on safe

perfectionist1
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by perfectionist1 » Thu May 09, 2013 4:26 pm

Thanks WTP......to be safe I keep two chambers empty, as mentioned in my previous post.

Cheers...

bishnoi29
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by bishnoi29 » Thu May 09, 2013 10:03 pm

hi perfectionist1
I am also carrying weapon since last few year's but to conceal carry an pistol is always easy then an revolver
secondly you can also fire from pistol immediately but need some practice
third in pistol you can carry more ammo more safety , easy to reload also can carry an extra magazine

but guys I also have an revolver as I like revolver's but still pistol is easy to conceal carry :D
PEACE UP GUYS !!!!!

Kittu
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Kittu » Fri May 10, 2013 12:49 am

hi try this holster its a back holster but heat in delhi is very high and you want find comfortable.it can also actas sona belt in summer :D thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Fri May 10, 2013 1:46 am

Perfectionist,
The place that I bought my holster from is called Sideguard Holsters.
In fact that exact holster in this photo is on their website (with the exact same gun in it).

The design of the holster is not that special, it is a standard IWB leather pancake type of holster. However, it is the materials used and the technique used to make it that allow it to perform well.
The leather is thick and stiff and provides retention but is still easy to draw. It also stays open (i.e. does not collapse when the gun is withdrawn), so re-holstering is easy. Yet, I can hold the holster, with the gun in it, upside down and shake it and the gun will not fall out. It is even more secure when it is in your waistband and your belt is cinched tight. It took about two weeks to break in but when worn with a proper gun belt, you can sometimes forget you have it on (even with an all steel gun and thirteen rounds of ammo). Each holster is made individually and especially for that particular model of handgun. He has molds for most of the popular handguns but I doubt he would have one for an IOF. He might have one for a Webley though. He does have other types of tuckable holsters for revolvers that have only one snap or some with just a belt clip. I feel the snap is more secure than just a plain belt clip but other people might have different ideas. However, a single belt clip would be much easier to hide with a cell phone holster.
The snapped loops allow for easy on and off. I can have the gun/holster combination off in about ten seconds if I have to enter someplace where carry is not allowed. Pull shirt up, unsnap both snaps, remove gun and holster as one unit and store in secure location and then tuck the shirt back in. It takes longer to tuck the shirt back in that to do the rest of the maneuver. When I am outside the house and carrying, I keep the gun in the holster at all times. This prevents inadvertent or unnecessary trigger manipulation, thus lessening the chance of having a negligent discharge.

This type of holster is called a "double snap tuck" by the manufacturer. It means that there are two snapped loops and that they allow your shirt to be tucked in over the gun. The two leather pieces that the snaps are sewn onto, are only attached at the bottom. This allows the shirt to be tucked in behind that leather piece and the body of the holster, completely covering the gun. To draw, you reach over with the left hand, grasp the shirt material and pull it up. This exposes the gun and allows you to draw with the right hand. It also keeps your weak hand out of the way of the gun (and tucked in close to the body) when pulling it up and extending it. There have been people who have shot their own weak (non-dominant) hand when drawing in panic mode. The manufacturer is a small custom maker who does very high quality work. His lead times and prices are low for a custom holster. I have met him and he is also a very nice guy. he might do business with you, even though you are overseas. It might be worth an email to ask him. Another thing that I would like to mention is that his products are very durable. My oldest holsters from him were purchased in 2009 and they still look brand new.

This is where I get my gun belts from: http://www.jbgunbelts.com/.
Jerry is a retired US navy guy and started this as a hobby but the demand for his belts increased to such a point that he had to start a business.
For a custom belt, his prices are low and his lead times are excellent.

This is what I mean by support. Can your belt do this?
That's a SIG 2022 with 15 rounds and two loaded 15 round magazines on the other side.

Check out the Tuck Clip and Tuck Snap on Sideguard Holster's IWB page. They might work for you.

AgentDoubleS
Poster of the month - Apr 2015
Poster of the month - Apr 2015

Post by AgentDoubleS » Sat May 11, 2013 9:45 pm

Xl,

I've found your posts on this thread extremely practical, useful and helpful. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
SS

perfectionist1
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by perfectionist1 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:05 am

ashokgodara wrote:hi try this holster its a back holster but heat in delhi is very high and you want find comfortable.it can also actas sona belt in summer :D thanks
Thanks Ashok, but this is more of outside holster, seen with armed forces.

Cheers...

perfectionist1
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by perfectionist1 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:07 am

Hi XL_Target,

Thanks for sharing the link and the post, I have gone through it but availability in India is a dream.

Cheers...

Saharanabhishek
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Saharanabhishek » Sun May 08, 2016 4:04 pm

Try a shoulder holiester with thin strips on both shoulders of nice leather n your revolver will be under your arm

main13
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by main13 » Sun May 08, 2016 9:22 pm

Perhaps you could take the help of somebody doing gun-mods to build you a custom kydex-holster you can insert inside your trousers & attach it to your belt with an attached clip?! Another way would be to get a bare-bones holster that can be slid in the small of your back & attach similarly as above. Or you can wear a back hoslter inside the trousers on a belt..

If I ever wanted a ccw, I'd invest in a slim, 1911 type pistol & tuck in a back holster worn inside.. While you're carrying that lappy-bag, I'd say practice some instinctive-firing - you can shoot without actually pulling the gun out.. Springs a very nasty surprise for the person at the wrong end! :D
To every man upon this earth
Death cometh soon or late.
And how can man die better
Than facing fearful odds,
For the ashes of his fathers,
And the temples of his Gods.