A Birthday Gift from Mark

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
mehulkamdar

A Birthday Gift from Mark

Post by mehulkamdar » Thu May 10, 2007 5:40 pm

As close friends know, after my car was broken into and a pickup stolen from my condo complex, I was looking at buying a handgun to keep at home. The Chief of Police in my little suburb lives in a neighbouring block and he is a pro gun officer who happily endorsed the plan. I was looking for something that would be easy to shoot and which my wife (wh is small made and not very strong) could also use in a pinch. As I kept asking very experienced shooters for suggestions, my friend Mark whom many know here, made the decision for me. 8) Ladies and gentlemen, I present you the result:

Image[/url]

She is an Iver Johnson 38, a grand lady and small enough for my wife to shoot without ever worrying about recoil. Aren't I a lucky man? :lol: 8)

Cheers!

For Advertising mail webmaster
kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Re: A Birthday Gift from Mark

Post by kanwar76 » Thu May 10, 2007 5:51 pm

mehulkamdar";p="19804 wrote:As close friends know, after my car was broken into and a pickup stolen from my condo complex,
Cheers!
When does that happened? :shock: :shock:

Nice gun BTW :)

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Thu May 10, 2007 6:34 pm

Inder,

I did scrap you about it on Orkut. My GPS got stolen. The police got one member of the gang - a Mexican gang - but the others seem to have escaped, probably fled to some other part of this den of thieves called Chicago.

Hopefully, when you're here, we'll be able to shoot the little girl and also take her over to Raj Singh for a makeover.

Cheers!

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Thu May 10, 2007 6:51 pm

mehulkamdar";p="19807 wrote: Inder,

I did scrap you about it on Orkut. My GPS got stolen. The police got one member of the gang - a Mexican gang - but the others seem to have escaped, probably fled to some other part of this den of thieves called Chicago.

Hopefully, when you're here, we'll be able to shoot the little girl and also take her over to Raj Singh for a makeover.

Cheers!
Oh.. Mehul..very sorry to hear that.... i think somehow i missed that in orkut.. my memory is failing me quite often nowday... :( . Did they recover the GPS. Is it the same one which we bought from fox valley?

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

HSharief
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by HSharief » Thu May 10, 2007 6:53 pm

mehulkamdar";p="19804 wrote: She is an Iver Johnson 38, a grand lady and small enough for my wife to shoot without ever worrying about recoil. Aren't I a lucky man? :lol: 8)
I read somewhere else one guy claim he had an "Ivory Johnson" ;)

Mehul, congratulations, I feel 38s are "ample" to say the least. Get some practice in, maybe a home defense course.

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Fri May 11, 2007 1:59 am

Sharief,

Not sure what you mean by "ample." I have shot the 357 Mag a bit and like it for it's low recoil and good accuracy at 15 yards. Am sure this would be a nice, mild revolver to shoot. There's a new pistol range in Arlington Heights that I need to check out and register at. All in good time. :)

Cheers!

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Fri May 11, 2007 5:35 am

Congrats Mehul - Raj Singh for new grip?

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Fri May 11, 2007 6:20 am

Navdeep,

What else? :) I also have to meet Raj's father Harbans Singh who is a close friend of Dave Norin, a good friend of mine. Dave has told me several times that I need to visit him. This would be as good an opportunity as any.

Cheers!

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri May 11, 2007 12:52 pm

The advantages of living in the U.S.... <BIG SIGH!!!> :mrgreen:

Have loads of fun and here's hoping you never have to use it in self defence.

Mack The Knife

jumq
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by jumq » Fri May 11, 2007 1:23 pm

Hey Mehul..

Sorry to hear abt that ..and like they say , there's always bright sunshine after rains, your little toy just proves it .. and like Rustom rightly said, hope u never to face any situation to use it for self defence .

Quire liked the golden bullets more .. :wink:

Jumana.

sa_ali
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by sa_ali » Fri May 11, 2007 5:53 pm

Perfect gift man. CONGRATS. i am sure this gift would have eased lil pain for the theft[img=left]http://indiansforguns.com/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Bubbha Singh
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Bubbha Singh » Sat May 12, 2007 7:38 am

Not so sure that I see small and smallish .38 Specials as being low-recoil, unless you're feeding them low-powered wadcutters. Small frames tend to transmit more recoil to the shooter than larger ones, and small-framed 2" .38s with small, almost non-existent grips are even worse.

At any rate, something is better than nothing, but wouldn't you be happier living in IN or MI with more reasonable firearms laws? I'd just about rather live in the wort part of Gary than live in the best part of Lake County.

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Sat May 12, 2007 8:00 am

bsingh

Re: small grip - if you read Mehul's post the two gentlemen he has mentioned Raj and Harbans Singh son/father duo make some of the best grips and live near Chicago. I have forgotten the name of their company.

Cheers

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Sat May 12, 2007 8:03 am

I do shoot enough to know what recoil is, and I shoot all of my guns hard and often. And, if I need advice on how to shoot something properly, I do know where to ask. As far as where I live is concerned, some might choose the ghetto, others might have a different standard. Again, I wonder how that is anyone's concern except my own.

Perhaps, how I shoot is different from a geriatric approach to a gun would be. Not quite a recoil junkie myself, but a lightweight 38 is the last thing to bother me unlike some.

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Sat May 12, 2007 8:07 am

Navdeep,

I plan on dong the little thing up because I like fiddling with my guns. Not that Raj or Harbans Singh's products are not functional - theya re among the finest products of their kind in the world - but the revolver would also go through a charcoal blue as I am not going to carry it.