Czech CZ 27 pistol and Colt Detective revolver

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
Lever Action
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Czech CZ 27 pistol and Colt Detective revolver

Post by Lever Action » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:44 pm

Dear All,
Planning to change my IOF revolver and go for imported pistol or revolver , yesterday checked with dealer a CZ 27 czech pistol and colt detective both in .32 and both are in good condition with original bluing asking price is 2.6 lacs for CZ 27 pistol and 3.8 lacs for colt detective , are these the right prices he is asking for and what about the performance of both the fire arms , please help.

Regards
Lever Action

For Advertising mail webmaster
art_collector
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Czech CZ 27 pistol and Colt Detective revolver

Post by art_collector » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:07 pm

Hi Lever Action,

Both the weapons are good but prices sound exhorbitant. Lack of gud frearms in the market and DEEP POCKETS of a customer drive the prices really high. Much also depends on the dealer you are buying from . Certain dealers are rather expensive. So do a little survey before you buy.

For example in Delhi a DB Gun by Bharat is available with some dealers at 11000/- and the same gun is available with others at 15,000/- ..and the factory makes only one quality of gun.

So doing your homework should help.

AC

HydNawab
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by HydNawab » Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:39 pm

Hi Lever Action,

I dont have much idea about the the CZ 27 but I think that the colt detective .32 revolver is priced a little high.It should be in the range of 3 to 3.5lacs max.But finally it all depends on the condition.I had seen a colt detective .32 for 2.75 lacs but that was 2 years back.I hope this helps

Cheers

Ashar
'It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze'.

'You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.'

-- Al Capone

Lever Action
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Lever Action » Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:30 pm

Dear Friends,
Thanks for the information , but can you shed some light on the Czech
fire arms are they reliable.

Lever Action

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:38 pm

CZ's are usually excellent pistols... well made, rugged and functional. They have a huge fan following...

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:07 pm

A new CZ would be a vastly superior pistol to an old Colt. I haven't shot the blowback CZs but I have shot the 75, 85 and 97B and love them. AFAIK COlt haven;t made their blowback pistols for some decades now. I can;t see where an old COlt pistol would be vastly more expensive than a new CZ considering that both are using guns and nothing special. This of course, providing that the CZ is in good shape and is not being discounted because it is somewhat damaged or whatever.

Cheers!

Risala
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Risala » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:11 pm

Mehul,

The Colt Detective is a Revolver has a 2" barrel.
The last time I saw one was in 2001 and the bloke (singh gun House in Kashmere Gate) was asking for 3 plus then.
The condition was mint.
Cheers
Sanjay

HydNawab
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by HydNawab » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:37 pm

Guys

Just thought of putting up a picture of the Colt Detective .32 revolver.

'It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze'.

'You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.'

-- Al Capone

Lever Action
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Lever Action » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:54 pm

Searched the web and found out that cz 27 was manufactured from 1927 till 1950 and majority of them were made in german occupation of Czechoslovakia during WW 2 and they had a distinct markings on them .

Lever Action

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:51 pm

"A new CZ would be a vastly superior pistol to an old Colt. I haven't shot the blowback CZs but I have shot the 75, 85"

Maybe, but a CZ27 isn`t a 75 or 85. I`d have the Detective Special any day of the week.

Risala
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Risala » Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:25 am

Grumpy";p="18954 wrote:
Maybe, but a CZ27 isn`t a 75 or 85. I`d have the Detective Special any day of the week.
Grumpy,

Why ?

Is it cause of simplicity in operation and handling.

Surely the basic principle of operation bet a CZ 27 and the 75,85 remain's the same,bar a few features here and there that have been added over the years.

PS in these parts all we get to see is the pre 1986 vintage and yes there is a Cal restriction. :)

Thanks

Sanjay

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:40 am

Sanjay,

A revolver would always remain more reliable than an automatic because there is less that could go wrong on one. I am not familiar with the CZ 27 design and it would have to be a blowback firing the 32 ACP rimless round which would be a 1927 design from what I am presuming - would be happy to be corrected if I am wrong here. The Colt revolver would fire a rimmed 32 Long or short round instead.

The 75, 85 and 97 B are locked breech pistols firing the vastly more powerful 9mm Para and 45 ACP rounds. Grumpy is an experienced pistol shooter and if he prefers the Detective here, I would take his recommendation seriously if money is not a factor.

Cheers!

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:07 am

CZ 27 saw one last year in India a relative of mine bought it. The pistol wasnt reblued and looked OK, even has German army waffen insignia on it. These pistols are sold in US as collectibles. Rest info is same as the one on the net, considered reliable thats why they were used by Waffen SS. A link for CZ 27 http://www.gunsworld.com/cz/cz192627_us.html

I would prefer a revolver over this pistol, second Grumpy's opinion its too old a model. My preference for CZ will be CZ 83, CZ 70 followed by CZ 52.
Look hard and long you will get lucky
I agree with others the cost of revolver is really high. But then choices are also limited.

All the best

Lever Action
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Lever Action » Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:28 pm

ngrewal,
Is it possible for you to ask for the price your relative paid for cz 27.

Lever Action

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:42 pm

The CZ 27 design does date back to 1927 ( well done Mehul ) and is a developement of the CZ 24. Like all the Czech made guns it is well made and reliable but not exactly very accurate. It is a competent pistol rather than anything exciting or innovative. In the USA CZ 27s sell for $250-$650 depending on condition. Nazi marked pistols in near mint condition make the most money.
I can`t get worked-up about any of the low power semi-autos - frankly there`s nothing about them to get worked-up about. I`d pick a revolver over a semi-auto for defence purposes any day of the week if I was resident in India. Get a box of ammunition that the pistol doesn`t like and you`ll have jams all the time - a situation that doesn`t occur with a revolver.
In the US the situation is very different and I`d pick a 1911 based pistol that had had subjected to a full accuracy and reliability package, chambered in .45 ACP or 10 mm if for my own use. In India such an option isn`t available and the revolver makes more sense.