Advice on Buying a Handgun

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
nrataul
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Advice on Buying a Handgun

Post by nrataul » Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:17 am

Friends, I am planning to buy a Handgun for my Dad in two months from Punjab, India when i visit India in December.

The posts were a great help but If you pls give me some specific advice, will make my life a lot easier.

Can u pls suggest a nice handgun which is easily available ( will be in India for just 2 weeks) with some Pricing Information. By easily available i mean not some gun i have to go looking in Auctions, but a good Gun House carries it. If you can recommend a gun house in Ludhiana or anywhere in Punjab that will be great.

A Newbie in Distress... :)
Last edited by nrataul on Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Advice on Buying a Handgun

Post by Sakobav » Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:04 am

[quote="nrataul"]Can u pls suggest a nice handgun which is easily available ( will be in India for just 2 weeks) with some Pricing Information.

Another factor is budget you have..IOF weapons in my opinion should be easily available..there are others who can advise you better..

Navdeep

Kshatriya
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Kshatriya » Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:31 am

As for the IOF's handguns both the .32 Revolver/Pistol cost around 55-60 K.
The revolver can only be procured directly from SAF/FGF,Kanpur but there is no delay & generally u can get one in a day.It is a different story altogether for the Pistol,which has to be applied for & generally has a long waiting list.
Pistol can be procured from GSF,Kolkata or Muradnagar,Ghaziabad.
Of course u can get used IOF handguns through arms dealers too.
Then there are used handguns of foreign make like Colt,Browning,S&W,CZ,Chinese TT etc which would be somewhere between 1.5 to 5.5 Lacs.
As for the gun shops in Ludhiana,Satinder could guide u more properly.
It all depends on ur choice of weapon & ur budget.
But the only weapons in brand new condition can be had from IOF .
Used weapons may have passed through many owners & may have been subjected to varying conditions ,so u have to have a keen eye to spot a winner.Also with very small number on sale,they sometimes command a huge premium.
Hope this helps.
Good luck with ur hunt for the perfect handgun.
U.S Army Rifle Cal .30 M1917 Remington Bolt Action
Cal 32 ACP IOF Pistol

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:44 am

If New Delhi is an option, then Paramjit Singh Sodhi is someone you could check with. I have also heard of a shop called Oriental Armoury though I know nothing about them. penpusher should be able to help. PM him for his suggestions.

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:32 pm

Met up with a few dealers here in Delhi/Noida.
If you have a budget in mind, can ask around and see if there's something available in that range-no sweat.
Axx
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

nrataul
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by nrataul » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:14 pm

Thanks Everyone for the Advice

gillgurtej
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by gillgurtej » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:29 am

It will all depend on how much you want to spend as everone in the group suggested. Here are few details for Punjab.
The used IOF Revolver should cost you around Rs.80,000 if you buy from an arms dealer. I just bought one In January of this year from Chandigarh as didn't have time to obtain from Kanpur. I will suggest you check the place in Chandigarh Industrial Area Opposite Pasco Maruti dealership there is some government factory I have forgot the name which is dealing on Ordnance Weapons for Northern India. They are priced at the same price as Kanpur or Calcutta for Pistols. Iwent there couple of years back and they were opening up in 2-3 months.

If you want to spend more Jalandhar has one dealer has a good collection of handguns and rifles. He is a shrude chap with very firm high prices but few to choose from. He bought my uncle's .32 Webley Scott for Rs.160000 4-5 years back. He also paid the highest price on another uncle's .32 Smith and Wesson at Rs.220000 and around 4000 just for the orignal box it came in when my uncle bought it in early 80's for 16000 brand new. I can get you his address and no. if you are interested.
I believe it is Nanda Gun HOuse. He also carries hard to find ammo. on typical bores peple have from pre-Independence too.

If you want to go even higher it will be Pathankot where I bought my IOF .22 Rifle year and half ago. The gun house over there had two .32 Berretta(do not mind the spelling) pistols for sale. They had 12 or 13 shot magazines. One was probably never used and he was asking 12lac the other one was a bit cheaper at 9.5 lac. The name is Vishal Gun House in Pathankot.

Your best bet will be the place in Chandigarh for IOF revolver at their distribution center and here is their info.I just found online from their website
http://ofbindia.gov.in

Ordnance Cable Factory,
Chandigarh-160002.
Ph - (0172) 2650-577 /-526

Let us know if we can help you more,

Gurtej GIll

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:50 am

gillgurtej wrote: One was probably never used and he was asking 12lac the other one was a bit cheaper at 9.5 lac. The name is Vishal Gun House in Pathankot.
Welcome aboard Gurtej. That was a very helpful post. No offence, however, 12 lakh for a Beretta! Mama mia! Gold inlaid, diamond studded, one of its kind. Guess not. Only proves "demand and supply" principle. :wink: :D

We all look forward to more posts from you.Good shooting.

Best- Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:29 pm

Nanda Gun HOuse
The younger brother is dead.He was a scoundrel ,The elder one now looks after the business.He is no better.Recently was trying to convince a fellow to sell off his fathers gun that he had come to deposit.Was telling him not to keep it for long :roll:

Vishal Gun House
Another scoundrel

The used IOF Revolver should cost you around Rs.80,000 if you buy from an arms dealer

Why pay 23,000/- more than what you would pay for a rev from the IOF (ex factory price is 57,000/-). The name of the factory is the Ordnance Cable Factory ,near Bhushan Steel, Ind .Area,Phase 1 Chandigarh.The delivery of the rev is at the factory and an IOF technician is also there to undertake repair of the IOF rev and pistol.You can check up about booking and delivery bet 10 to 1 from the IOF counter on any working day.Infact recently the IOF was offering the rev on demand(to commemorate something,I don't remember what)
Welcome aboard Gurtej. That was a very helpful post. No offence, however, 12 lakh for a Beretta! Mama mia! Gold inlaid, diamond studded, one of its kind. Guess not. Only proves "demand and supply" principle.
Lets boycott all these greedy SOB's.Demand and supply has got nothing to do with it. Its greed,pure and simple coupled with the ignorance of the general public about the real price of the weapons that the dealers try to sell at inflated prices.Most of them would be begging on the streets if the import ban is revoked.The only ones to benefit from it (the import ban) have been the dealers and the IOF.

Take care,
penpusher

penpusher

How do I delete a post?

Take care,
penpusher
Last edited by penpusher on Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

penpusher

Seems to be some problem with the site or my computer or maybe its something that I am doing.The same message was posted thrice.This is after I got a message that the post thas not been sent and "Debugg" in capital letters.

Take care,
penpusher

nrataul
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by nrataul » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:29 pm

!!
Last edited by nrataul on Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nrataul
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by nrataul » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:30 pm

Thanks a lot for the info gurtej and penpusher. penpusher if you dont mind can u pls PM me ur phone number and when is a good time to call if at all.
Thanks again guys.

axp817
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by axp817 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:44 pm

Lets boycott all these greedy SOB's.Demand and supply has got nothing to do with it. Its greed,pure and simple coupled with the ignorance of the general public about the real price of the weapons that the dealers try to sell at inflated prices.Most of them would be begging on the streets if the import ban is revoked.The only ones to benefit from it (the import ban) have been the dealers and the IOF.
Absolutely. The demand and supply scenario which can affect prices is when there is a high demand and a low supply, where the low supply is due to factors affecting the supply chain - viz. raw material shortages, skilled labor shortage, manufacturing capabilities, and such.
In the Indian scenario, the demand is normal (not high by any means) and the supply is/can easily be high enough to meet the normal demand.

None of the factors listed above are in question.

But recognizing the fact that imports aren't allowed, and the fact that private companies can't/don't setup shop in the firearms industry, the IOF takes advantage and charges such ridiculous prices for such POS products.

Price of a .22 revolver by a reputable manufactuer in the US - approx. $300-$400

Materials that go into its manufacturing - cost in US same or more than in India for material of exactly similar quality

Labor - Cost of skilled labor, higher in US than India - for comparable skill levels

Machinery - same or more in US.

Everything that goes into making a gun is more expensive in the US. In this day and age, it is not difficult to find in India, the infrastructure and skill that is needed for gun making.

But the IOF and dealers still charge such ridiculous prices for guns.

Why? - Because they can.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:17 am

No question about the greed and ignorance gents.But again, the price you pay also depends on how desperately you want what you want and the availability. The greedy bunch will have to shut shop simply because there will be choices and abundant supply,too, were the import ban to be lifted.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."