Broken Erma

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
The Doc
Veteran
Veteran

Broken Erma

Post by The Doc » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:52 am

Gentlemen,

After due permission from IFG member jpinakin88 I am posting the pictures of his uncle's Erma revolver . When jpinakin88 wrote that the frame has cracked I was expecting to see a break like a crack in a tea cup but these pictures reveal something else and let it be an eye opener for others.

By revelations6 at 2011-03-16

Other facts as stated by jpinakin88 --

This particular revolver was shooting alright with imported (magtech) ammo . It broke after shooting KF ammo . (I do not know how many KF rounds were fired before it came apart literally.)

The revolver in the broken state has been sold off for 70K .

best,
Rp.
It's always better to have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it !

For Advertising mail webmaster
vijayshimla
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Re: Broken Erma

Post by vijayshimla » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:17 am

I think quite a few ERMA revolvers I saw were with a Alloy Frame ( perhaps Investment cast Zinc Frame ) and all over world these have a bad reputation for quality. Hence this accident. Better to stick to S & W original with forged Steel Frames..

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:14 am

Kaboom!!....

probably caused by out of index ignition.

Big problem there bro.
He who can not think, is a fool; he who will not, a bigot; he who dare not - a slave!

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:40 am

cottage cheese wrote:Kaboom!!....

probably caused by out of index ignition.

Big problem there bro.
It is quite common with Erma revolvers if you fire KF ammo.I am sure it is not because of out of index ignition.Also they shoot loose very quickly no matter what ammo you fire.

Priyan
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Priyan » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:18 am

Looks like it was made out of cast metal. I never knew guns were made out of cast metal too. I guess I learned something new today :)
Sorry for asking this dumb question but is there any way to repair this gun or it'll need to be replaced?
When I'll get to shoot a gun?

dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dr.jayakumar » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:39 am

our country is known for importing and using substanderd instruments .lucky the person did not get hurt.

striker
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by striker » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:02 am

broken revolver sold for 70k ...... What would the buyer do with the broken parts ? Do the transfer of arms in broken condition to another member allowed ? I thought broken arms have to be surrendered to poice armoury to get clearence to procure new one.

Anand
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Anand » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:05 am

Wow never seen this before although I have heard from more than one dealer of this happening. The parts would probably be used for repair of other broken arms I imagine.
Anand

jpinakin88
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by jpinakin88 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:06 am

Thanks a lot THE DOC for upload my revolver's pictures...

Dr.Jayakumar that is my uncles revolver and it was break by me.. And we are happy cos nobody injured in that accident... And now my uncle is going for colt detactive special..

to_saptarshi
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by to_saptarshi » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:07 am

The Barrel , Cylinder with Extractor Assembly, Hammer and Trigger assembly and grip are still fine, So probably a new frame is all thats required. I doubt if any gun smith or dealer are allowed to create a custom frame here ?
Thanks and Regards,
Saptarshi

dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dr.jayakumar » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:09 am

jpinakin88 wrote:Thanks a lot THE DOC for upload my revolver's pictures...

Dr.Jayakumar that is my uncles revolver and it was break by me.. And we are happy cos nobody injured in that accident... And now my uncle is going for colt detactive special..
good pick friend.

marksman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by marksman » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:18 pm

One can hardly blame the seller as he is trying to salvage what ever he can from the big investment he had made on the fire arm. But, as a rule, a damaged or broken fire arm should be immediately reported to the fire arm dept. concerned which legally certifies it as beyond repair,takes it in their custody to destroy it and (generally)issues permission to purchase another one in it's place. It is alleged that unscrupulous dealers are often on the look out for such damaged fire arms and pay a good price for them. This enables them to use the serial number on the unlicensed/illegal fire arm in order to legitimize it which are eventually sold at a very high premium.. I hope that wouldn't happen in this case.
It is also possible to have the frame re welded and then sell it off to an unsuspecting buyer which again is a dangerous proposition.
Marksman

captrakshitsharma
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by captrakshitsharma » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:38 pm

looks similar to j frame round butt, but i am amazed how badly it got damaged....no wonder Erma/Arminius are regarded as cheap guns.
I dont dial 911... I dial .357

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:44 pm

It is quite common with Erma revolvers if you fire KF ammo.
Are Erma revolvers the culprit or the KF ammo or both? I suspect such accidents happen if the bullet instead of passing smoothly from the cylinder into the barrel, hits the barrel.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

jpinakin88
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by jpinakin88 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:22 pm

to marksman

sir actually we sold it to one dealer but on one condition is that he will not going to weld it he can sale only the parts. as he is friend of dad so there is no problem at all for again will get accident...

Erma is not trustable firearms at all so i am requesting to IFG members dont go ever for Erma revolver....