20 year old improted hand gun or new IOF handgun

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
ven99
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

20 year old improted hand gun or new IOF handgun

Post by ven99 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:00 pm

hi friend ,
i gun licence has been cleared by the government of ap for which i thank the department ...
so would like to know which one to buy from experinced folks .....
regards
amreeth

For Advertising mail webmaster
MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Re: 20 year old improted hand gun or new IOF handgun

Post by MoA » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:20 pm

Well the short answer is: It depends.

Condition, Caliber, Cost are your variables.

marksman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by marksman » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:52 pm

MoA is right, I have a shotgun that is 100 years old today but still would cost a bomb if I went to purchase another one in the same condition. It depends.
Marksman
Exercise in Logic:
Given that there are far more good guys than bad guys, what would happen if all good guys and all bad guys were armed???......Simple, isn't it ?---Jeff Cooper

"Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't
be any India because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our
women and breed a hardier race!"

ven99
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by ven99 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:59 pm

hi moa ,
.32... revolver or pistol improted or indian ?????

MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MoA » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:08 pm

Ven: I have not even held an IOF pistol. So cant really advise you on the pro's and cons.. I am sure those with more knowledge of IOF products will chime in.

The Doc
Veteran
Veteran

Post by The Doc » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:31 pm

ven99 wrote:.32... revolver or pistol improted or indian ?
Now that you have decided on the caliber, you should further decide whether you want a revolver or a pistol and also your budget. The question of IOF or Phoren brands will be easier to answer after that exercise. :)

best,
Rp.
It's always better to have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it !

ven99
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by ven99 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:39 pm

hi the doc ,

.32 revolver or pistol any thing will do budget not a problum ..... i am just confused between indian and phoren and main problum i find is that i cannot see it for 5 years if i busy iof ....
regards
amreeth

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:53 pm

Amreeth, while making the choice between pistol & revolver - please do keep in mind that the safe & effective use of semi-auto pistols requires a bit more "initial learning" and care while handling while revolvers are a bit easier for newbies to learn to use safely.

I point this out as, besides yourself, you would probably like to ensure that some of your other family members (spouse/ young adults at home/ parents etc.) are familiar with the safe & effective use of whatever firearm you eventually decide to purchase. This "training" exercise for the family should not be underrated as I know of a few instances when family members were called upon to use an arms licensees firearm to defend their homes, luckily they knew how to use them safely & effectively - which is why they were still around to tell the tale... :)

Personally I find the current prices of most imported handguns a bit difficult to digest, but then I'm just a regular middle class chap and you may have more means at your disposal so the money may not really be a factor for you. Therefore, as others have rightly pointed out - the eventual choice would be based on your budget, your personal preference for either semi-auto pistol/ revolver, whether or not you will be carrying the firearm concealed on your person or if it is only for home defence, and last but not the least what options you have available locally - both in terms of firearms available for purchase as well as an assured supply of ammunition.

Cheers!
Abhijeet

-- 14 Dec 2010 07:56 pm --

P.S. There are still more than a few VGC (very good condition) imported handguns, a few excellent condition ones and even some truly NIB (new in box) condition ones (both pistol as well as revolver) floating around in the Indian market - the prices they usually fetch are another story altogether :roll:
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

The Doc
Veteran
Veteran

Post by The Doc » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:08 pm

ven99 wrote:.32 revolver or pistol any thing will do
:shock: :shock:
It is more important to decide whether you want to buy a pistol or a revolver. Both are entirely different firearms and should be regarded for what they are. There are threads on this forum which deal with the pistol/revolver issue as well as the imported/Indian product issue. Is it going to be your first firearm ? (I suspect it is) .
ven99 wrote:main problum i find is that i cannot see it for 5 years if i busy iof
If you do not want a five year restriction on sale clause then you can jolly well buy a pre-owned IOF product . What makes you think that you will be able to "tolerate" a second hand phoren handgun for 5 years ?

I hope you will be focussed about responsible firearm ownership and would like to shoot safely and effectively after loads of practice .

good luck,
Rp.
It's always better to have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it !

ven99
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by ven99 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:18 pm

hi abhijeet ,
super info from you ....its npot home its for me to carry persoanlly with me all time .......i dont wat to spend lakhs for it ç
one to one and half lakhs .... and notthing mor then that ... its just to protect my self ...i will be careful with and take up some traning for good use
then as u said desi revolver or pistol....
regards
amreeth

-- Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:53 pm --

hi rp,
thanks you all for the input then i will buy a second iof pistol...for some time ...
and then will deside ,,,,,