sumbody pls help me in which pistol to buy

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
suyash2206
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

sumbody pls help me in which pistol to buy

Post by suyash2206 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:03 pm

dear all, warm greetings.
currently i have a ashani 2004. i wear it all the time and self defence is my prime concern. but most of the times whenever i tried it, it gets stuck after 2or 3 shots. primarily ejector works fine but new cart is not loaded. so now i want to get rid of it. i may get about 1.3 to 1.4 lacs for it. but i don't know which one to buy. shuld i go for walther for 6.0 lacs or for colt for 3.9 lacs or some other make. price is no barrier. i wish for the best. so pls advise me with the relative advantages as i don't know much about it.
warm regards
suyash

For Advertising mail webmaster
MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Re: sumbody pls help me in which pistol to buy

Post by MoA » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:52 pm

While I do not know what is currently available in India, from the viewpoint of utter reliability Cz is a difficult one to beat.
Get a pistol in good shape, mechanically. I would not focus on the looks, or blueing. I would look for how the pistol fits me, and ensure there are no signs of rust or mechanical failure.

Test fire them if possible. Rapid shooting is a good way to check that everything is working as it should.

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:19 pm

1) Pistols get stuck due to various reasons. (For details please refer: http://www.northcarolinasportsman.com/d ... php?id=485) Have you tried to figure out what is the exact cause of problem?

2) Walther etc. are also known to jam. Buying a imported or costly pistol does not always insure that it will not malfunction. There are also rumors that variety of country made pistols are circulating as "imported/foreign made" in legal market. I do not think just switching to other pistol without understanding the cause of present problem would be wise. If I was in your position instead of blindly going for another pistol, I would get the pistol checked by a good gunsmith, like Bobby Sidhu, practice by firing IOF cartridges in range and keep the magazines filled with imported ammo to avoid misfire and feeding problems during emergency.

3) Pistols have there own set of problems which cause jam. Revolvers have there own set of problems which cause jam. Are you OK with a revolver? If yes then IOF .32 revolver is not a bad option.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

vrohan59
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by vrohan59 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:48 pm

I totally agree with mentor,revolvers are more reliable(generally speaking),with pistols a generally higher level of training is required,you should be able to clear jams,reload it as fast and as safely as possible.No mater what pistol you have such problems are inherent in them,more so with IOF ammo.My personal opinion;get yourself a revolver(though I am equally confident with pistols and revolvers).
Regards
Rohan
War does not define who is right -- only who is left
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."

suyash2206
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by suyash2206 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:51 pm

dear goodboy mentor
warm greetings
thanks for ur prompt feedback. thanks for the link. it helped a lot. i think i may be limp wristing it. i'll have to check. thanks 4 the info that even walther sometime malfunction. as for the revolver i do have an IOF 0.32 revolver which is just fine and never malfunctioned in 9 years. i do want a pistol as it snugly fits into my waistband. pls inform where can i find mr bobby sidhu. also since i want to upgrade my pistol (maybe due to snob appeal) pls advise.
regards

-- Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:57 pm --

dear rohan
warm greetings
thanks for ur advise. as i said earlier, i do agree that revolver may be an better option but pistol is more snug. since u r confident with both may be u can guide me on limp wristing. how do i check that i am doing it wrrong. pls advise
regards

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:20 pm

No problems, you are most welcome,

For contact details of Bobby Sidhu you can refer the following:

1) http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=4740 or

2) http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php ... 423#p90423 or

3) Can send PM to joydeepm to get the number http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php ... 321#p86259 or

4) Can try sending PM to bobbysidhu
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

SARGE7402
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by SARGE7402 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:33 am

Hi

Sorry to hear that your semiauto pistol is acting up.

One problem that semiauto's have that revolvers don't is that their entire function is a complex balancing act. Especially with smaller (Colt 1911's are less likely to malfunction than a Colt pocket or walther) pistols where the working envelop of the various springs and other parts like the slide is not as tolerant of ammunition variences.

There are a couple of ways to improve what you already have.

Replacng all springs - recoil, magazine, and extractor springs as a bare minimum - with new factory spec can go a long way to making things smoother.

Second is to switch ammo. If you are using one brand and it acts up, perhaps changing brands may make the weapon work better. Once had a .380 ACP with a tiny extractor. If the case rims weren't large enough it would leave the fired case in the chamber every time.

Third is to give the pistol a very good cleaing with a solvent to get all of the crud out and then lubricating it with a gun oil that the manufacturer recommends.

As far as limpwristing is concerned if you've got a good grip on the pistol, when you fire it the recoil should lift your whole arm like a one piece ruler from your shoulder to the muzzle of the pistol.

If only your grip hand rotates up and not the rest of the arm, you are limpwristing. To correct this, you will need to work at keeping your arm - shoulder to hand in a single line. Many times gripping the pistol with more force tends to force the muscles in the arm to act as one.

As far as Colt or Walther. I've had several of each. What do I carry now? A walther. Colt is hard to get parts for and it's almost 80 years old. My walther is only 30 or so olc

Good luck
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’

saleem
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by saleem » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:37 am

may i suggest that if self defence is your primary requirement, go for a revolver, ruger,S& W webley scott, colt are all fine brands, but iof revolver is not bad either. have i since the last five years, have shot more than 200 rounds of both Indian and imported ammo. without a single misfire or jam. grouping is about 4" at 15 meters.

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:35 am

The reliability issue is an odd one, from my point of view. What Sarge and others have said is valid advice.

If the weapon is going to see hard use, such as certain kinds of competition or practice, I think a semi-auto has an advantage over a revolver.

Revolvers have a lot of little pieces sliding at odd angles. For instance, the hand pushes vertically against the star on the rear of the cylinder to rotate it -- you can see that this sliding action that generates a fair amount of friction. As you might imagine, this friction will wear the surface of the hand that bears on the star, and the cylinder will not rotate as far with the shorter hand. This, in turn, will eventually prevent the bolt from locking the cylinder so that a chamber properly aligns with the barrel.

Hard revolver usage will eventually wear these little parts out, although a high quality revolver is a very durable piece of equipment.

Semi-autos, on the other hand, have a different set of failings. For one thing, the magazine spring must be strong enough to force a new round into position for feeding. The recoil spring must be strong enough to return the slide to battery, or the disconnector will prevent the weapon from being fired. Quality semi-autos usually use quality steel springs, although this isn't necessarily the case.

One method around this problem that's often used is to keep a rotation of magazines, so that there are always some that have their springs "resting" unloaded. Of course, ensuring that the magazines are clean is a good idea, as well.

Another sore point with semi-autos can be the feed lips on the magazines. One of the neat things about a Tokarev TT-33 and its derivatives is that the actual feed lips are part of the hammer/sear assembly. Anyway, if the feed lips of the magazine are bent, this can affect feeding as well.

In this case, my view is this: for having that weapon by the bedside or even a carry weapon, there's nothing like my Colt Detective Spl. It will go bang when I pull the trigger. I can put whatever into the cylinder and it will go bang. It will not jam. (I only use it for practice, not for recreation, hunting, or competition.)

For general fun and games, I do prefer my semi-autos in most cases. I prefer the way they fit my hand, especially the 1911, which for my hand, would be very hard to improve upon. However, unlike my Detective Spl, I don't leave any of the semi autos loaded.

Now I will admit, I do carry my little CZ-50 (similar to a Walther PPK) because it is so compact. I've equipped the magazines with Wolff springs and it now feeds properly (which it did not with its issue springs). I feel reasonably certain that it will go bang when needed, but I cannot believe that any of my semi autos will have the same reliability with any ammo as my Detective Spl., though the 1911 probably comes quite close.

Under continuous use, I'm sure that no handgun I own could rival the reliability of my 1911. The mechanism is proven, simple, and reliable. Where, after some time, any of my revolvers would need attention from a gunsmith, the 1911 would remain completely serviceable for quite some time beyond.

If one has a semi auto pistol available with a limited supply of ammo, I feel that it is best to make very sure the weapon will function flawlessly with the ammo available before trusting the weapon in dire circumstances.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:15 am

some good advice here.

other option is the Tokarva TT-33 or a clone thereof. ie M20 in 7.62x25. as ammo can be had. not much of jamming problems with this.
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

suyash2206
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by suyash2206 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:53 pm

dear sarge
warm greetings
thanks for advise on limp wristing. i am sure it was the case. let me try the whole magazine as u have said. will get back 2 u.
regards

-- Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:29 pm --

dear goodboymentor
warm greetings
once again your reply helped me a lot. thanks a ton. i think i would go with my ashani for the time being. i am sure my next stop would be mr bobby's as now i have his address thanks to you. maybe you can advise on the waiting list at mr bobby's if any and the tentative costs associated with remodelling my ashani. thanks once again
regards

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:40 pm

I have no idea of waiting list or the tentative costs by Bobby Sidhu. For this you can PM the members who have got the work done from him or can have a word with Bobby Sidhu.

gunsam
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Which pistol to buy

Post by gunsam » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:33 pm

Hi Guys,

I m pretty new to this world, and just got my license. I have several questions on my mind, and would be really if someone can answer and help m this -

1. What should i buy, am imported used pistol or New Indian Pistol ? I am not sure if we can buy new imported pistols, if yes then from where. (Budget is not a concern)

2. What imported pistol is best and why? (Budget 1-20 Lacs)
3. How to evaluate the price of pistol, any website or any information on imported pistol in india ?

4. What are the ways of buying imported pistols in India ?

Thanks in Advance .

rajaiswal92
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by rajaiswal92 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:48 am

You cannot buy a new imported pistol in india (unless you are a renowned shooter)

You might be able to get a fairy new imported pistol in the budget you have stated, get in touch with gun houses of punjab , delhi , mumbai

kapilj
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by kapilj » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:53 pm

Buy a smith Wesson revolver
Most reliable weapon in the world
Kapil jaiswal