The "Legend" is here

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

The "Legend" is here

Post by xl_target » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:11 am

SIG-SAUER has announced the production of an improved SIG P210. This model is called the "Legend".

It has a US style magazine release, a modified beavertail and an easier to use safety.
They also installed an automatic firing pin lock and modernized the sights. The frame is offered in the "Heavy Frame" configuration.
Here is a link to the ad on SIG Sauer's german site:http://www.sigsauer.de/index.php?id=1024&lang=en

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2010 ... ntroduced/
photo courtesey of The FireArm blog
The SIG P210 (Swiss Army designation Pistole 49) is a locked breech semi-automatic pistol designed and manufactured in Neuhausen am Rheinfall (Canton of Schaffhausen, Switzerland) by Swiss Arms AG, formerly SIG Arms AG (distributed in U.S. by the SIGARMS).
It is of all steel construction chambered in 9x19mm Parabellum and 7.65x22mm Parabellum. It was used from 1949 to 1975 by the Swiss army and police units. It was also adopted and is still in service with the Royal Danish Army, in 1951 by the German Bundespolizei and in shooting sports.
The pistols were decommissioned and replaced by the SIG P220 (Swiss Army designation Pistole 75) but second-hand 210s are greatly valued by shooting sports competitors. The P210 is also considered as an investment for some collectors and often fetch prices over US$2000. This varies around the world; an average price in Sweden is $1000–1500 where in Spain a 210 will sell for no less than €4000.
quote from Wikipedia

It doesn't show up on SIG's US site yet but is apparently available in Canada.
List price? It's one of those "If you have to ask, then you probably can't afford it" kind of things. Needless to say, it is quite out of my price range.

Video:
[youtube][/youtube]
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

For Advertising mail webmaster
mhksmk
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Re: The "Legend" is here

Post by mhksmk » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:39 am

Kewl man, just kewl.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:29 am

That is one very sleek yet classic looking pistol . May be they offer in other calibres later.

Thank you for sharing.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

thomast1
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by thomast1 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:03 am

wow!!!
just one doubt, the guy in the video, Does he have huge hands or is the gun that compact?? :D

Thomas

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:59 am

It has a single stack magazine (capacity=8 + 1) gun so it is relatively slim in the grip area. However, the P210 is not a little gun. I think you are correct Thomas, he does have huge hands.
For years people have been buying the surplus Swiss P210's to use in competition because of their reliability and phenomenal accuracy. SIG discontinued them because the manufacturing methods used to make this pistol were very labor intensive and time consuming. Due to the relatively few numbers in circulation, prices were sky high. With todays CNC technology, I suppose it is possible to make them again without expending too much effort. Not that it matters, the price of the Legend is high enough that I don't think I will be able to afford one anyway :cry:

As far as I know, all existing P210's till the arrival of the Legend were manufactured in Switzerland by SIG. It is only now that SIG-SAUER (Germany) is making the Legend. An interesting fact for Indian gun enthusiasts is the the Hammerli P 240 (an adaptation of the P210) was chambered in .38 S&W wadcutter, .32 S&W Long, and .22 Long Rifle

Interesting P210 website: http://www.p210.com/
The SIG P210 is arguably one of the finest pistols ever created, yet there are very few sites on the net devoted to it [Enter P210.com]. All kidding aside, this site is meant to be an informational resource for those who appreciate the P210 for what it is... The closest thing to perfection one can expect to find in a pistol...
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:34 pm

XL,

Is it true that sometime ago there were quality control issues with this model? I am asking as I remember someone writing about it in an email a while ago.Sorry, if I sound vague.Thank you.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:11 pm

Vikram,

As far as I know, the P210 didn't have any quality control issues. The major complaint the I have heard about it is that the safety was not as smooth as it could have been. The Euro mag release was not a favorite of American shooters. However, these are design issues not QC issues. I have not heard of any P210 specific QC issues. I had heard that some people (Sweden) who used hot submachinegun ammo in them had experienced cracked frames. With standard US ammo, I don't think there have been any issues.

There have been QC issues with the later P series SIGs, mainly some of the models made in the US.

ramprasad
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by ramprasad » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:04 pm

hiiii i am ram. i just love it. r u in any idea of selling it?

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:34 am

Somewhere I read eons ago -- The Rolls Royce of Pistols --

Nice

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:20 am

That is one real nice looking pistol
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

HSharief
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by HSharief » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:39 pm

The rear cocking grooves/serrations are pretty small I think. The sight is fixed and the extractor is interesting to say the least, it sits entirely within the slide. But overall, it looks good though.